is a town and civil parish
In England, a civil parish is a territorial designation and, where they are found, the lowest tier of local government below districts and counties...
in the English
England is a country that is part of the United Kingdom. It shares land borders with Scotland to the north and Wales to the west; the Irish Sea is to the north west, the Celtic Sea to the south west, with the North Sea to the east and the English Channel to the south separating it from continental...
county of Berkshire
Berkshire is a historic county in the South of England. It is also often referred to as the Royal County of Berkshire because of the presence of the royal residence of Windsor Castle in the county; this usage, which dates to the 19th century at least, was recognised by the Queen in 1957, and...
. The Office for National Statistics
The Office for National Statistics is the executive office of the UK Statistics Authority, a non-ministerial department which reports directly to the Parliament of the United Kingdom.- Overview :...
places Earley within the Reading/Wokingham Urban Area
The Reading/Wokingham Urban Area is a name given by the Office for National Statistics to a conurbation in Berkshire, England, with a population of 369,804 , up 10.1% from the 1991 figure of 335,757...
, for purposes of local government it falls within the Borough of Wokingham, outside of the jurisdiction of Reading Borough Council. The name is sometimes spelt Erleigh
. There is even a joke... In Earley, we get up early...
The town consists of a number of subordinate areas, including Maiden Erlegh
and Lower Earley
, and lies some 2 miles (3.2 km) south and east of central Reading, and some 5 miles (8 km) west of Wokingham
Wokingham is a market town and civil parish in Berkshire in South East England about west of central London. It is about east-southeast of Reading and west of Bracknell. It spans an area of and, according to the 2001 census, has a population of 30,403...
. It has a population of around 30,000 people.
Evidence of early man has been found in several locations around Earley, amongst recorded finds: a hand axe was found in the railway cutting, flint implemets in a garden in Elm Lane and hand axes in the gardens in Fowler Close (no 12) and Silverdale Road. Most of these finds are thought to come from the late Paleolithic
The Paleolithic Age, Era or Period, is a prehistoric period of human history distinguished by the development of the most primitive stone tools discovered , and covers roughly 99% of human technological prehistory...
period around 35,000 years ago.
Traces of flimsy shelters from the Mesolithic
The Mesolithic is an archaeological concept used to refer to certain groups of archaeological cultures defined as falling between the Paleolithic and the Neolithic....
were discovered at the site of the old power station at Thames Valley Park in North Earley. Tools from this time have also been found, including a flint blade found in the garden of 42 Silverdale Road. Archaeological evidence for continued human presence during the Bronze Age
The Bronze Age is a period characterized by the use of copper and its alloy bronze as the chief hard materials in the manufacture of some implements and weapons. Chronologically, it stands between the Stone Age and Iron Age...
and Iron Age
The Iron Age is the archaeological period generally occurring after the Bronze Age, marked by the prevalent use of iron. The early period of the age is characterized by the widespread use of iron or steel. The adoption of such material coincided with other changes in society, including differing...
were also discovered on the site of Thames Valley Business Park and Roman remains were found on a building site off Meadow Road.
Earley is mentioned in Domesday with two main manors Erlegh St Bartholomew, later known as Erlegh Court and Erlegh St Nicolas, later Erlegh White Knights. In Domesday Earley is noted as being 'held by Osbern Giffard from the King, previously Dunn held if from King Edward in freehold. The value was 100/-later 60/- now £4'.
The de Erleghs held the manors of St Bartholemew and St Nicolas for some centuries, John de Erlegh was known as the White Knight, hence the re-naming of the manor of Erlegh St Nicolas to Whiteknights. More recently Whiteknights estate was owned by the Englefields from 1606 to 1798 and then by the Marquis of Blandford, later the 5th Duke of Marlborough.
The manor of Maiden Erlegh was formed in the 14th Century and after many changes of ownership was purchased in 1903 by the millionaire Solly Joel, well known in horse racing circles, who had a race course on the estate. He donated a piece of his land to the village to be used for sporting purposes, the park and pavilion was opened by the Duke of York, later King George VI in 1927 and, as Sol Joel Park, the park and the original pavilion is used to this day.
The estate of Bulmershe Court once belonged to the Abbey of Reading in the C18th it became the home of Henry Addington, Viscount Sidmouth, Prime Minister. Bulmershe College, part of the University of Reading occupies this site.
Up until 1888, Earley extended westwards from the Three Tuns crossroads down the Wokingham Road and into Reading. To enable this section to be linked into the drainage system, Reading extended its boundaries to the Three Tuns crossroads, and this part of Earley was incorporated into Reading. At this time, the centre of Earley was the crossroads and Saint Peters Church. Even today, some residents living over the border in Reading think of themselves as belonging to Earley even though they pay their council tax
Council Tax is the system of local taxation used in England, Scotland and Wales to part fund the services provided by local government in each country. It was introduced in 1993 by the Local Government Finance Act 1992, as a successor to the unpopular Community Charge...
to Reading Borough Council.
Reading University began as a University Extension College in 1892, it became the University of Reading in 1926 and acquired its new site, which straddles the border between Earley and Reading, in 1947. Of the six large villas on the estate four were designed by Waterhouse (Erleigh Park 1859, Whiteknights 1868, Foxhill 1868 and the Wilderness 1873). Waterhouse also designed Reading School (1865–71) in Erleigh Road and extended Pepper Manor, now Leighton Park School on Shinfield Road, in 1890 and built Grove House on the north of the same site (1892-4).
Earley grew rapidly both before and after World War II
World War II, or the Second World War , was a global conflict lasting from 1939 to 1945, involving most of the world's nations—including all of the great powers—eventually forming two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis...
, and became a town in 1974. From 1977, the Lower Earley private estate was constructed, almost doubling the town's population to the current level. Two new primary schools were built, together with a large supermarket complex which opened in 1979 and sports centre. In 1988 a second shopping area, Maiden Place, opened. An additional secondary school was planned roughly opposite the sports centre next to Rushey Way, possibly on the site next to the police station. However the school never materialised, and the land was built on.
Nowadays, Lower Earley is often spoken of as a town in its own right even though it is just a development at the southern end of the town. The name Lower Earley is however very old, being originally applied to the low lying land between the old Maiden Erlegh Estate and River Loddon.
Maiden Erlegh lake is an excellent Carp Fishing venue. Fish Species to be found in the lake include Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Pike, Tench, Roach, Rudd, Gudgeon, Perch and Chub. The occasional released Goldfish has also been noted.
It is the winter home of at least four cormorants that share the lake with mallards, Mandarin ducks, wood ducks, coots, moorhens, Canada geese, Egyptian geese and a pair of mute swans that, in 2010, successfully raised three cygnets. Terns and gulls are also regular visitors. Other bird species spotted around the lake of an unusual variety include yellowhammers, goldcrests and treecreepers.
Earley falls within the parliamentary constituencies of Wokingham and Reading East.
Earley is bordered by the River Thames to the north, the B3270 (Lower Earley Way) to the east and south, and the B3350 (Wilderness Road) and the A327 (Shinfield Road) to the west. North of the these is Woodley, west is Whitley Wood
Whitley Wood is a suburb to the south of Reading in the English county of Berkshire.-Geography:Whitley Wood is bounded to the north by an ill-defined boundary with the suburb of Whitley, to the east by a ridge of high ground carrying the road to Shinfield, to the west by the valleys of the River...
, east is Winnersh
Winnersh is a village and civil parish, a part of the Borough of Wokingham, in the English county of Berkshire. The parish is roughly bounded on the north-east by the A329, to the north-west by the river Loddon, Old Forest Road and Simons Lane on the south east and Bearwood Road on the south west...
, and south is Sindlesham
Sindlesham is an estate village in the civil parish of Winnersh, Borough of Wokingham, and county of Berkshire, in South East England. Located by the M4 motorway, it is south-east of Reading and adjoins Winnersh village...
The Town of Earley has two levels of Local Government, Earley Town Council
based at Radstock House in Radstock Lane and Wokingham Borough Council
based at Shute End in Wokingham. Earley became a Town in 1974 with the Town Council replacing the previous Parish Council. There are 25 Town Councillors representing eight wards on the Town Council and 12 Borough Councillors (out of 54 on the Borough Council) representing four Earley Wards (Hillside, Hawkedon, Maiden Erlegh and Bulmershe and Whitegates) Earley (of which the Bulmershe and Whitegates Councillors also represent the Bulmershe ward of Woodley Town Council).
Much to the confusion of some local residents the Town Wards do not map directly onto the Borough Wards: Cutbush and Hawkedon Town Wards make up the Hawkedon Borough Ward; Hillside and Radstock the Borough Hillside Ward; Redhatch, St Nicolas and Maiden Erlegh the Maiden Erlegh Borough ward and Whitegates together with the Woodley Town Ward of Bulmershe the Bulmershe and Whitegates Borough Ward! Town Council Elections are held every four years with one held in 2011, Borough Elections are currently held by thirds with one each year for the three member wards and a year with no election which generally coincides with the European election.
Amongst other functions, Earley Town Council runs Sol Joel Park
Sol Joel Park is a public park in Earley, a suburb in east Reading, Berkshire, England, on the Wokingham Road was given to the Corporation of Reading in 1927 by Solomon Joel...
, leased from Reading Borough Council for 50 years, Meadow Park off Meadow Road, Bulmershe Park (jointly with Woodley), the BMX track near Paddick Drive which was opened in 2011, 2 community centres and Maiden Erlegh Lake, which was declared a nature reserve in 1997.. The council has a large and well maintained allotment at Culver Lane and a lawn cemetery at Mays Lane. The Council also provides the familiar green bus shelters which are dotted about the town at the popular Reading bound stops.
Within Earley the Borough Council has provided the Waterside Centre
an excellent canoe centre in Thames Valley Park and the Loddon Valley Leisure Centre
. They also own Chalfont Park and Laurel Park in Earley both of which provide sports pitches including tennis and football facilities.
Earley railway station
Earley railway station is a railway station in the suburb of Earley, east of Reading, England.- History :Earley station was opened in 1863 by the South Eastern Railway. The line had been built in 1849 and bought by the South Eastern Railway in 1852...
is on the railway line from Reading to London Waterloo
Waterloo station, also known as London Waterloo, is a central London railway terminus and London Underground complex. The station is owned and operated by Network Rail and is close to the South Bank of the River Thames, and in Travelcard Zone 1....
stations. However, Winnersh Triangle railway station
Winnersh Triangle railway station is situated between Reading and Wokingham in Berkshire, England. It is served by services operated by South West Trains from Reading station to London Waterloo station.- History :...
, which opened in the 1980s, is also near the suburb.
Earley is served by Reading Buses who provide a number of bus services to and from the centre of Reading. The 17 bus runs 24 hours a day from the junction at the Three Tuns, through Reading town centre, towards Tilehurst. Wokingham can be reached by bus on the Wokingham Road or by train from Earley or Winnersh Triangle stations.
Earley is to the north of the M4 motorway
The M4 motorway links London with South Wales. It is part of the unsigned European route E30. Other major places directly accessible from M4 junctions are Reading, Swindon, Bristol, Newport, Cardiff and Swansea...
which connects London
London is the capital city of :England and the :United Kingdom, the largest metropolitan area in the United Kingdom, and the largest urban zone in the European Union by most measures. Located on the River Thames, London has been a major settlement for two millennia, its history going back to its...
Bristol is a city, unitary authority area and ceremonial county in South West England, with an estimated population of 433,100 for the unitary authority in 2009, and a surrounding Larger Urban Zone with an estimated 1,070,000 residents in 2007...
Earley is home to the Thames Valley Business Park
which is sited alongside the Thames too the east of the A329m. The park houses offices of many major companies including the UK headquarters of BG group
, ING direct
and SGI together with offices of Oracle
, David LLoyd, Cybersource
, JP Executive Recruitment, Open Text, Regus, Websense
and Worktube CV.
The neighbouring Suttons Business Park houses more service and high tech companies such as Rockwell Collins
, Rentokil International
, Service Point, Microsoft
, HP Invent
, FPS and Royal Mail
25 Church Road
- 1820's cottage red and grey chequered brick.
Church of St Peter, Church Road
- 1844 grey vitreous brick, aisles and change added 1882-3
Rusheymead, Cutbush Close
- late C16 timber framed house altered in C19 and C20
, 1 Radstock Lane - early C17 timber framed cottage altered and extended in mid C20
, Whiteknights Park - 1868 large house in red brick diaper pattern, now students hall of residence.
Former stables and coach house
Immediately north east of Foxhill House, Whiteknights Park
Landscape garden feature
, Whiteknights Park - early C19
, Whiteknights Road- early C19 gate lodge
, Whiteknights Road - early C19 gate lodge
, Whiteknights Road - 1868 red brick lodge to Foxhill
at Sindlesham Mill - C19 road bridge over mill stream (note this is in Earley not Woodley)
- C18 altered C20, brick rendered and painted
, Chancellors Way, Whiteknights Park - C19 grey brick
Reading War Room
('The Citadel'), University of Reading, Whiteknights - 1953 concrete war room
Mill Lane - C19 watermill now restaurant and club
The George Inn
, Loddon Bridge Road - C18 inn now public house
One of the main industries located in Earley was Sutton Seeds whose headquarters were based in London Road, at the northern end of what was once the A329(M) motorway spur (now the A3290). The building was partly taken over by the civil engineering consultancy, Sir Alexander Gibb & Partners
Sir Alexander Gibb & Partners was a British engineering consultancy initially based in Westminster, London until 1974 when it relocated to Reading, Berkshire.The firm was founded by Scottish engineer, Sir Alexander Gibb in 1922....
in June 1974, when it relocated from London. Sutton Seeds finally departed in 1975 to its new base in Torquay
Torquay is a town in the unitary authority area of Torbay and ceremonial county of Devon, England. It lies south of Exeter along the A380 on the north of Torbay, north-east of Plymouth and adjoins the neighbouring town of Paignton on the west of the bay. Torquay’s population of 63,998 during the...
, making way for Sir Alexander Gibb & Partners to occupy the whole of the building for many years to come; it then became known as Earley House. The company now operates under the Jacobs umbrella.
Earley also contains the most radioactive residential property in England.
There is a local charity, the Earley Charity which was founded in 1990 by the merger of two historic local charities: the Englefield Charity and the Earley Poors Land Charity.
The following schools all have children from Earley and Lower Earley within their designated catchment areas as defined by Wokingham Borough Council.
- Maiden Erlegh School
Maiden Erlegh School is a large community Academy for boys and girls with arts and business and enterprise specialisms. The school was awarded the Artsmark Gold mark in 2002 and 2005. It currently has 1,800 pupils, 360 of whom are in the sixth form...
- The Emmbrook School
The Emmbrook School is a co-educational comprehensive school located in Emmbrook, Wokingham, Berkshire, England, for students between 11 and 18 years of age...
- The Piggott School
'The Piggott School' is a Church of England academy secondary school in Wargrave in Berkshire, England. The school has approximately 1,516 pupils and around 185 teaching staff. The school specialises in Modern Languages and Humanities. It has been awarded International school status by the British...
- Forest School
Forest School is a comprehensive, all-boys' secondary school in Winnersh, Berkshire, England judged to be "Good" with some "Outstanding" aspects in it's most recent OFSTED inspection. It is located on Robin Hood Lane, the B3030 road, next to Winnersh railway station.-Grammar school:Forest School...
- The Holt School
He runs a 2:30 mile. The Holt School is a secondary school located in Wokingham, on Holt Lane. It is a girls' school and currently holds over 1200 girls ranging from 11-18....
- Bulmershe School
Famous or Notable People
Henry Addington, Viscount Sidmouth (1757–1844; Speaker 1789, Prime Minister 1801, donated land for and endowed Earley St Peters Church, owned Erleigh Court)
The Marquis of Blandford, later George Spencer-Churchill, 5th Duke of Marlborough
George Spencer-Churchill, 5th Duke of Marlborough FSA , styled Marquess of Blandford until 1817, was a British peer and collector of antiquities and books.-Background and education:...
(acquired Whiteknights estate Earley Whiteknights 1798)
SIr Owen Buckingham, Lord Mayor of London; owner of Erlegh Court 1708 to 1720
DC Ian Coward QPM for gallantry, 1942–1971, Shot and killed on duty with Thames Valley Police, buried St Peter's Church Earley
Thomas de Erleigh (Keeper of the Kings Deer Windsor Forest: owner of Erleigh Court to 1320)
Sir Francis Goldsmid, 2nd Baronet (1808–1878; first Jewish Barrister and QC, MP for Reading, owner of Whiteknights)
Sir Isaac Goldsmid, 1st Baronet (1778–1859; financier, owner of Whiteknights Estate, first Jewish Baronet)
William Heelas (1867–1937; shopkeeper, lived in Hungerford Lodge Wokingham Road)
Hugo Hirst, 1st Baron Hirst , known as Sir Hugo Hirst, Bt, between 1925 and 1934, was a German-born British industrialist....
(1863–1943; lived at Foxhill Whiteknights Estate, founder with Gustav Byng a company selling electrical appliances which was transformed into GEC, Hirst was MD of GEC in 1900 and Chairman in 1910)
Solomon Barnato Joel was a South African financier and mining, brewing and railway magnate.-Career:Known as "Solly", he was born into a Jewish family, being one of three sons of Joel Joel , and Kate Isaacs, who was a sister of Barnett Isaacs, later to be called Barney Barnato...
(1865–1931; businessman owner of Maiden Erlegh estate from 1903)
Brigadier General Richard M B F Kelly, CB DSO, Royal Artillery (1857–1915, Miranzai 1891, Samana 1891, Cape Colony, Tuegela Heights, Relief of Ladysmith 1899-1902, severely wounded at Fabers Put, Royal Artillery Commander Southern Coast Defences 26 Aug 1910 buried in St Peters Churchyard Earley)
General Sir Richard Denis Kelly KCB (1815–1897, Colonel 34th Cumberland Regiment, born in Ceylon wounded and taken prisoner at Sebastapol, lived in 'Shrublands' Earley, buried in St Peter's Churchyard Earley)
John Scott, 1st Lord Eldon (1751–1838; Lord Chancellor in Addington Government, benefactor to the Royal Berkshire Hospital)
William Scott, Lord Stowell (1745–1836; Tory; MP for Oxford University, liveed at Erleigh Court
from 1828 died there on 28th Jan 1836)
Alfred Waterhouse was a British architect, particularly associated with the Victorian Gothic Revival architecture. He is perhaps best known for his design for the Natural History Museum in London, and Manchester Town Hall, although he also built a wide variety of other buildings throughout the...
(1813–1905; architect, designer and owner of Foxhill on Whiteknights Estate, first chairman of Governors at Leighton Park School, designed Wokingham and Reading town Halls)
General War Memorials
Commemorated or buried in St Peter's Churchyard Earley
Corporal George Broad 204416, Somerset Light Infantry, 5 June 1918 aged 19
Lance Sgt N G M Dann 789363, Royal Artillery, 7th Jan 1942 aged 37
Private E Fulford 4244, Royal Berkshire Regiment formerly 3rd Dragoon Guards, 18 December 1915 aged 49
Private James Willian Hewett, 6th Wiltshire Regiment, died of wounds Abbeville France, 18th Nov 1917 aged 19
Private Reginald CE Gatehouse, RMLI (killed in the Naval attack on Zeebrugge, April 23, 1918, aged 19)
Brigadier General Richard M B F Kelly, CB DSO, Royal Artillery (1857–1915)
General Sir Richard Denis Kelly KCB (1815–1897, Colonel 34th Cumberland Regiment, born in Ceylon )
Flying Officer Kenneth C R Maskell, RAFVR, on active service Jan 29th 1943
Sapper Edwin Charles Monger 2069311, 7 Bomb Disposal Coy., Royal Engineers (died age 21 on 30 April 1942 aged 21, buried in St Peter's Churchyard Earley)
Captain Gerald Arthur Morton, 1st Batt the Border Regiment, fell in action May 12, 1915, laid to rest in Gallipoli
Commemorated in the Church
Lieut Brian John Dunlop, Grenadier Guards, killed while leading his men into action at the battle of Pilkem Ridge Flanders, 31 July 1917 aged 19 years.
F.J. Arslett (FAA/SFX.2476), Air Mechanic 1st Class, HMS Dasher
HMS Dasher was a British Royal Navy aircraft carrier, of the Avenger class – converted merchant vessels – and one of the shortest lived escort carriers.-Design and description:...
27/3/1943, Son of Harry J and Emily Arslett; husband of Margaret Elizabeth Arslett of Caversham
A.H. Bassett, Sub-Lieutenant(A) RNVR, FAA 885 Squadron 6/6/1944, Son of Henry and Violet Muriel Bassett of Reading Berkshire, Hermanville War Cemetery
N.G.M Dann (789363) Lance Serjeant Royal Artillery, 295 Bty. 80 Lt AA Regiment, 7/1/1942, son of Fredrick Thomas Dann and Amy Edith Heron Dann of Reading, buried St Peter's Churchyard
D.B. Mackenzie (129016) Captain Seaforth Highlanders, 2nd Bn, 29/12/1942, son of Henry James Mackenzie and Mary Mackenzie of Earley, Benghazi War Cemetery
E.C. Monger (2069311) Sapper Royal Engineers, 7 Bomb Disposal Coy, 30/4/1942, son of Arthur Charles and Mabel May Monger of Earley, buried St Peter's Churchyard
A.F. Pascal (311027), Lieutenant Reconnaissance Corps RAC, 1st Airlanding Squadron, 24/9/1944, son of Henry Philip and Ada Pascal of Earley, Arnhem Osterbeek War Cemetery
J.H. Saunders (228040), Captain Royal Engineers, 1/11/1944, son of William Holland Saunders and Nellie Saunders of Earley, Bergen-op-Zoom War Cemetery
W.H.A. Taylor (248909), Lieutenant Royal Engineers, 6/2/1945, son of Ernest and Cecilia Taylor, husband of Clara Alberta Taylor of Earley, Suez War Memorial Cemetery
S.A.Webb (5350778), Corporal Royal Sussex Regiment, 9th Bn, 15/8/1944, son of Enoch and Annie Webb of Reading, Taukkyan War Cemetery
R. Worsfold (2094278), Sapper Royal Engineers, 266 Field Coy,, 18/11/1942, son of Arthur George and Louisa Worsfold of Reading, buried St Peter's Churchyard
J. Dobbins (4125570), Private manchester Regiment, 2nd Bn, 16/8/1944, son of George and Alice Dobbins, husband of Agnes Dobbins of Birkenhead, Delhi War Cemetery
H. H. Hirst (78853), Flying Officer RAFVR, 240 Sqn, 7/5/1941, son of Harold Hugh Hirst and Carol Hirst MBE of Folkestone [note this is the only recorded HH Hirst at CWGC but can't find the link to Earley]
L. O. Lewington (1153956), Sergeant RAFVR, 75 Sqn, 6/7/1943, son of Owen and Annie Lewington husband of Gwendoline E.M. Lewington of Henley on Thames
K. C. R. Maskell (114382), flying Officer (pilot) RAFVR, 511 Sqn, 29/01/1943, son of William Thomas Maskell and Katie Lucy Maskell of Earley, husband of Margaret Maskell, buried in St Peter's Churchyard
R. H. Rampton (749503) Sergeant (Obs) RAFVR, 50 Sqn, 25/7/1941, Thurlby (St Germain) Churchyard
G. E. J. Rushbrook (60816) Pilot Officer RAFVR, 105 Sqn, 25/05/1941
A. G. Salmon (40321), Pilot Officer, 10 Sqn 2/10/1939 aged 19, son of Alan H.M and Gertrude E. Salmon of Reading.
World War 1 Memorial Plaque
Roll of Honour St Peter's Earley
Men of this place who gave their lives in the Great War 1914 - 18
(nb details of service from CWGC web site where serviceman can be unambiguously identified)
Leslie Beard 200528, Lance Serjeant 2nd/4th bn Royal Berkshire Regiment, Loos Memorial 13/7/16 age 21, 95 Wokingham Road.
Percival Bundy M/4727, Plumbers Mate HMS Black Prince (armoured cruiser sunk at Battle of Jutland
The Battle of Jutland was a naval battle between the British Royal Navy's Grand Fleet and the Imperial German Navy's High Seas Fleet during the First World War. The battle was fought on 31 May and 1 June 1916 in the North Sea near Jutland, Denmark. It was the largest naval battle and the only...
), 31/5/1916 Royal Navy Memorial Portsmouth, son of Francis Edward and Elizabeth Kate Bundy, of 29, Pitcroft Avenue, Reading.
Leonard Dann J/26346, AB Seaman HMS Mary Rose (M class destroyer sunk by German Cruisers in the North Sea ), son of Frederick Thomas and the late Eleanor Dann, 17/10/1917 aged 20 Portsmouth Memorial
William Durman 61897, Gunner 146 Heavy Battery Royal Garrison Artillery, 1/4/1918 Etaples Military Cemetery, son of Thomas and Eliza Durman, of Earley, Reading, Berks. Enlisted Oct 1915
Arthur Furnell 8359, Lance Corporal G Coy 1st Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers, 23/8/1914 aged 28 La-ferte-sous-jouarre memorial, son of Mary Jane Funnell, of 183, Wykeham Rd., Earley, Reading, and the late Charles Furnell. Also served 7 years in India and South Africa.
Reginald Charles Earl Gatehouse CH/19258, Private RMLI Zeebrugge Battalion, 23/4/1918 aged 19, enlisted 1914 served in Dardanelles, son of Earl and Alice Gatehouse, 6 Clarendon Road Reading
James Hewett 31858, Private 6th Wiltshire Regiment, died of wounds Abbeville France, 18th Nov 1917 aged 19, Son of John and Constance Hewett
Albert Edward Hosler, 2nd Lieutenant 7th Battalion Rifle Brigade, 26/08/1917 Tyne Cot Memorial
George Jeram 19422, Private 15th Battalion Hampshire Regiment, 15/9/1916 Bulls Road Cemetery Flers
Leonard Leaver 22469, Private Royal Berksgire Regiment, 10/3/1917 age 23 Thiepval Memorial, son of Alfred and Caroline Leaver, of School Green, Shinfield, Reading, Berks
Alfred Levens 28748, Private 2nd/4th Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment, 21/3/1918 Pozieres memorial son of William and Annie Levens, of 42, George St., Caversham, Reading; husband of Lizzie Levens, of The Knightons, 126, Wykeham Rd., Reading
Sydney Frank Lovegrove 616430, Bombardier Royal Horse Artillery, 2nd/1st Berkshire Battery 158th Brigade, 14th Nov 1917, 24 Tuns Hill Cottages Earley.
Ernest Nickes G/1141, Lance Corporal 2nd Battalion The Buffs (East Kent Regiment), 23/4/1915 Ypres Menin Gate
Thomas Radbourne 17839, Private Royal Berkshire Regiment, 24/5/1916 aged 37 Zouave Valley Cemetery, son of William and Prudence Radbourne; husband of Louisa Radbourne, of 3, St. Edward's Rd., Reading.
Stephen Ravening 16453, Private 1st Bn Royal Berkshire Regiment, 28/9/1915 aged25 Loos memorial, son of Mary Ann Ravening, of 71, St. Peter's Rd., Earley Rise, Reading, and the late Joseph Ravening.
Hereward Pattison Sadler, 2nd Lt 6th Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment, Carnoy Military Cemetery
Arthur Shackleford 3033, Private Royal D coy 1st/4th Battalion Berkshire Regiment, 14/8/1916 Thiepval Memorial, son of Arthur John and Agnes Sophia Shackleford, of 26, Norris Rd., Reading, Berks
Philip Douglas Wadhams 21917, Private 2nd Bn Royal Berkshire Regiment, 2/8/1917 Ypres Menin Gate, son of Joseph and Rosa Wadhams 1 St Peters Road Reading, husband of Edith Wadhams 16 Cholmeley Place Reading