formerly a village in its own right, is now a suburban area of Dublin
Ireland , described as the Republic of Ireland , is a sovereign state in Europe occupying approximately five-sixths of the island of the same name. Its capital is Dublin. Ireland, which had a population of 4.58 million in 2011, is a constitutional republic governed as a parliamentary democracy,...
. Stillorgan is located in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County, and contains many housing estates, shops and other facilities, with the old village centre still present. Stillorgan neighbours other southside
The Southside is not an official administrative area but a colloquial term referring to the area of County Dublin bounded to the north by the River Liffey to the east by Dublin Bay, to the south and west by the boundaries of County Dublin...
districts such as Kilmacud
Kilmacud is a suburban area in Dublin in the local authority area of Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown.Kilmacud is the area west of Stillorgan. In essence, it is a collection of middle-class housing estates built in the 1950s by a range of small private construction companies to cater for the growing market...
, Mount Merrion
Mount Merrion is an area of Dublin, Ireland. It is roughly 7 kilometres south of the city centre. It is situated on and around a hill of the same name.-Location and access:...
Sandyford is a suburb of Dublin, located in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County, Ireland. A major part of Sandyford today is composed of the Sandyford Industrial Estate and related developments.- Location and access :...
Leopardstown is a district in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County, Ireland, located at the foot of the Dublin Mountains. A residential suburb of the greater Dublin area, it is divided by the course of the M50 motorway, and adjoins the neighbouring areas of Sandyford, Stepaside, Ballyogan, Foxrock and...
Dundrum , originally a town in its own right, is now a suburb of Dublin in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown, Ireland.The area is located in the postal districts of Dublin 14 and Dublin 16.-History:...
, Blackrock, Goatstown
Goatstown is a suburb of Dublin located in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County, Ireland. To the west is Dundrum, to the east is Mount Merrion and Stillorgan, to the south is Sandyford, and to the north is Roebuck and Clonskeagh....
Foxrock is a suburb of Dublin, Ireland. It is in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County, in the postal district of Dublin 18 and in the parish of Foxrock.-History:...
The suburban region defined as the Stillorgan Electoral Area of Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown had a population of 19,840 at the 2006 census.
It is popularly believed that the name Stillorgan is either a Danish or Anglo Norman corruption of Teach Lorcan, 'the house or church of Lorcan (Laurence)', possibly signifying St. Laurence O'Toole. Another belief is that it is named after a Danish or Irish chief of a similar name: what may have been his burial chamber was discovered in Stillorgan Park in 1716. The original Celtic name for Stillorgan was Athnakill – 'Place of the Church'.
The local Roman Catholic parish church
A parish church , in Christianity, is the church which acts as the religious centre of a parish, the basic administrative unit of episcopal churches....
of St. Laurence is usually presumed to be named after St. Laurence O'Toole, or Lorcán Ua Tuathail, who was born at Castledermot
Castledermot is an inland village in the south-east of Ireland in County Kildare, about from Dublin, and from the town of Carlow. The N9 road from Dublin to Waterford passes through the village but completion of a bypass is due during 2010.-Demographics:...
, County Kildare
County Kildare is a county in Ireland. It is part of the Mid-East Region and is also located in the province of Leinster. It is named after the town of Kildare. Kildare County Council is the local authority for the county...
in 1128, died at Eu
Eu is a commune in the Seine-Maritime department in the Haute-Normandie region in northern France.Eu is located near the coast in the eastern part of the department, near the border with Picardie.Its inhabitants are known as the Eudois.-Geography:...
Normandy is a geographical region corresponding to the former Duchy of Normandy. It is in France.The continental territory covers 30,627 km² and forms the preponderant part of Normandy and roughly 5% of the territory of France. It is divided for administrative purposes into two régions:...
The French Republic , The French Republic , The French Republic , (commonly known as France , is a unitary semi-presidential republic in Western Europe with several overseas territories and islands located on other continents and in the Indian, Pacific, and Atlantic oceans. Metropolitan France...
, on November , and was canonized in 1225 by Pope Honorius
Pope Honorius could refer to:#Pope Honorius I#*Antipope Honorius II#Pope Honorius II#Pope Honorius III#Pope Honorius IV...
. He was one of four sons of an O'Byrne princess and Murtagh O'Tuathail, King of the Ui Muirdeaigh III.
- The N11 road leads out from the city, passing through Stillorgan, towards the major commuter town of Bray
Bray is a town in north County Wicklow, Ireland. It is a busy urban centre and seaside resort, with a population of 31,901 making it the fourth largest in Ireland as of the 2006 census...
. It has bypassed Stillorgan centre since the mid 1970s when the Stillorgan Bypass was opened to the east. The N11 hosts the 'StillorganBus Corridor]]' (QBC) which runs along the N11 in both directions from St. Stephen's Green to Foxrock
Foxrock is a suburb of Dublin, Ireland. It is in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County, in the postal district of Dublin 18 and in the parish of Foxrock.-History:...
. Stillorgan is a major bus interchange and the Stillorgan QBC is the most heavily used in Ireland, featuring the busiest and most frequent bus route, the 46A to Dún Laoghaire
Dún Laoghaire or Dún Laoire , sometimes anglicised as "Dunleary" , is a suburban seaside town in County Dublin, Ireland, about twelve kilometres south of Dublin city centre. It is the county town of Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County and a major port of entry from Great Britain...
Aircoach is a Republic of Ireland based subsidiary company of the United Kingdom based FirstGroup. It provides airport bus express coach services from Cork, Greystones, Bray, South Dublin and Dublin City Centre to Dublin Airport. It also operates contracted bus service for airport car parks...
provides a direct link to the Dublin Airport
Dublin Airport, , is operated by the Dublin Airport Authority. Located in Collinstown, in the Fingal part of County Dublin, 18.4 million passengers passed through the airport in 2010, making it the busiest airport in the Republic of Ireland, followed by Cork and Shannon...
via Dublin city centre.
- Stillorgan also has a station on the Luas
Luas , also promoted in the development stage as the Dublin Light Rail System, is a tram or light rail system serving Dublin, the first such system in the decades since the closure of the last of the Dublin tramways. In 2007, the system carried 28.4 million passengers, a growth of 10% since...
green line, next to the reservoir and Sandyford Industrial Estate. It has a commuter bus link to the shopping centre. The green line is 20 km in length with 22 stops and links Bride's Glen and St Stephen's Green.
- Stillorgan railway station opened on 10 July 1854, closed for goods traffic in 1937 and finally closed altogether on 1 January 1959.
- 60 houses were built at Beaufield Park in the 1940s
- The Merville Estate was built in the 1950s on land belonging to the Jolly family dairy farm.
- St Laurence’s Park were completed in October 1954.
- The Stillorgan Bowl opened in December 1963, the first bowling alley in Ireland.
- The first shopping centre to be built in Ireland opened in Stillorgan in 1966. It was opened by Dickey Rock. It had 3 supermarkets, Powers, Liptons and Quinnsworth. To enable the construction of the centre, The road in front of the shopping centre was completely lined with cottages built during the early 19th century and were knocked down. They extended from the Christian Brothers' school Oatlands College
Oatlands College is an all boys Christian Brothers school located in Mount Merrion and close to Stillorgan, Co. Dublin. It is situated along the Dublin Road which leads onto the Stillorgan Shopping Centre....
to the end of the Dublin Road and up the Lower Kilmacud road. The rubble was used to fill in and level the lands that are now Pairc De Burca, the playing field of Kilmacud Crokes. Discussions have been ongoing for many years about expanding and updating the centre. It was planned to be redeveloped by Treasury Holdings in 2008. The 'Blakes'/'Burn Nightclub' site has also planning permission for a multi-story apartment complex with some commercial units. The Leisureplex area to the Library is also due to be redeveloped.
Places of interest
- The location of Stillorgan Castle became the House of St John of God when the Hospitaller Order moved there in 1883, it is now a major psychiatric hospital.
- One of the most prominent architectural features is the large 18th century obelisk
An obelisk is a tall, four-sided, narrow tapering monument which ends in a pyramid-like shape at the top, and is said to resemble a petrified ray of the sun-disk. A pair of obelisks usually stood in front of a pylon...
designed by Edward Lovett Pearce
Sir Edward Lovett Pearce was an Irish architect, and the chief exponent of palladianism in Ireland. He is thought to have initially studied as an architect under his father's first cousin, Sir John Vanbrugh. He is best known for the Irish Houses of Parliament in Dublin, and his work on Castletown...
for the second Viscount Allen; Pearce resided in Stillorgan in a house known as The Grove, which was demolished to make way for Stillorgan Bowl (now LeisurePlex).
- The present St. Brigid's Church of Ireland
The Church of Ireland is an autonomous province of the Anglican Communion. The church operates in all parts of Ireland and is the second largest religious body on the island after the Roman Catholic Church...
was built in 1706 on the site of an earlier church, thought to have been linked to St. Brigid's Monastery in Kildare. The current Rector is Rev. Ian Gallagher.
- A large open reservoir, called Stillorgan Reservoir, is situated near the Sandyford Industrial Estate. The water is piped from the Vartry Reservoir
Vartry Reservoir is a reservoir at Roundwood in County Wicklow, Ireland. The water is piped from Vartry to a large open service reservoir in Stillorgan in the southern suburbs of Dublin. The reservoir is operated by Dublin City Council....
Roundwood, historically known as Tochar , is a village in County Wicklow, Ireland. It was listed as having a population of 589 in the census of 2006....
in County Wicklow
County Wicklow is a county in Ireland. It is part of the Mid-East Region and is also located in the province of Leinster. It is named after the town of Wicklow, which derives from the Old Norse name Víkingalág or Wykynlo. Wicklow County Council is the local authority for the county...
- Stillorgan's oldest pub
A public house, informally known as a pub, is a drinking establishment fundamental to the culture of Britain, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand. There are approximately 53,500 public houses in the United Kingdom. This number has been declining every year, so that nearly half of the smaller...
is Bolands, latterly styled Bolands on the Hill, now McGowan's. In its older manifestation it was a local drinking refuge of many South Dublin writers, among them Brian O Nuallain (Myles na gCopaleen) and Maurice Walsh
Maurice Walsh was an Irish novelist best known for the short story The Quiet Man which was later made into an Oscar nominated movie directed by John Ford and starring John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. Walsh was born in 1879 in Ballydonoghue near Listowel, Co. Kerry, Ireland...
- The first Ormonde Cinema was built and opened in 1954, seating 980 people with a large car park to the side. It was completely demolished in 1978, the site being occupied by the AIB Bank at Stillorgan Plaza. The new Ormonde Cinema opened in the early 1980s as a smaller multi screen venue.
- Stillorgan Reservoir was built in the 19th century as part of Dublin Corporation’s waterworks on the lands of an 18th century house called Rockland, later known as Clonmore
- Henry Darley's brewery 1800's. It was located what is now The Grange, Brewery Road.
- Cullen’s was a grocery shop as well as a pub in the 1920s and 1930s. It is now the site of the Stillorgan Orchard which was tatted in the 1980's. It was previously called The Stillorgan Inn.
The largest properties are listed in Samuel Lewis’ 1837 ‘Topographical Dictionary of Ireland’:
- Stillorgan House (J Verschoyle Esq) Carysfort House (Rt Hon W Saurin)
- Stillorgan Abbey (A R Black ) Obelisk Park (H Perry)
- Mount Eagle (ND Grady) (became Stillorgan Castle)
- Thornhill (J George) Carysfort Lodge (T Goold)
- Stillorgan Park (J Busby) Beaufield (H Darley) Demolished 1989.
- Oatlands (M Pollock) Demolished 1968. The Grove (J Hughes) (became Tigh Lorcain)
- Woodview (GW Boileau) Riversdale (JW Barlow) demolished 1998.
- Stillorgan (R Guiness) Dunstaffnage Lodge ( R H Sheehan)
- Talbot Lodge (Capt Newenham) Limeville ( H B Reeves)
- Rose Hill (Mrs Drevar) Maryville (L H Thomas) Oakley Park (R Everard)
- Jane Ville ( Mrs Wilson) (became Glenalbyn) Elm Grove (Mrs Richards)
- Suffolk family of Wolverston settled here in 16th century .
- Sir Joshua Allen his son John was created Baron Allen of Stillorgan and Viscount Allen in Co. Kildare. He married the sister of Robert, the Earl of Kildare
- The famous artist William Orpen
Major Sir William Newenham Montague Orpen, KBE, RA, RHA was an Irish portrait painter, who worked mainly in London...
who on 27 November 1878 was born into an affluent professional and Protestant family in a house called Oriel on Grove Avenue. He became a highly successful and fashionable portrait painter, depicting Irish genre subjects; also scenes from the Western Front in World War I. He died in 1931, aged 52.
- Dermot Morgan
Dermot John Morgan was an Irish comedian, actor and former schoolteacher, who achieved international renown for his roles as Father Ted Crilly in the Channel 4 sitcom Father Ted and a strip club MC in Taffin....
attended school at Oatlands College and was a teacher at the Stillorgan Tech, now known as the Stillorgan College of Further Education.
- There are 5 national schools in the Stillorgan area: St. Laurence's (Boys/Catholic), Oatlands (Mixed/Catholic), St.Raphaela's (Girls/Catholic), Mount Anville (Girls/Catholic), St. Brigid's (Mixed/Interdenominational), and there are 3 secondary schools in the area: St. Benildus College (Boys/Catholic), St. Raphaela's (Girls/Catholic), Oatlands (Boys/Catholic).
- College of Further Education Old Dublin Road, Stillorgan, Co. Dublin. The college has state of the art facilities and the computer, media and other equipment are constantly upgraded to keep up with today's ever changing technology.
- The campus of University College Dublin
University College Dublin ) - formally known as University College Dublin - National University of Ireland, Dublin is the Republic of Ireland's largest, and Ireland's second largest, university, with over 1,300 faculty and 17,000 students...
is 2 km north, towards the city centre.
Stillorgan is home to the Kilmacud Crokes
Kilmacud Crokes are a large Gaelic Athletic Association club located in Stillorgan, Dublin, Ireland.-Background:Kilmacud football club was formed in 1959 following a historic public meeting in Saint Laurence's Hall, where Stillorgan shopping centre now stands. The first meeting of the club took...
Gaelic Athletic Association
The Gaelic Athletic Association is an amateur Irish and international cultural and sporting organisation focused primarily on promoting Gaelic games, which include the traditional Irish sports of hurling, camogie, Gaelic football, handball and rounders...
club, whose clubhouse and grounds, Glenalbyn
Glenalbyn -Glenalbyn House:The grounds called Linden Lea pitch measuring was purchased by Kilmacud Crokes in 1963, taking ownership on May 4, 1964 and was named Pairc De Burca. Glenalbyn House was owned by the Wilkinson family and was then purchased in 1965 and opened in 1966. On July 7, 1996 the...
, are located directly opposite the shopping centre. It is also home to Leinster Senior League
Competition confined to senior rugby union clubs in the province of Leinster.* 1971* 1972 St. Mary's College* 1973 Wanderers beat Bective Rangers* 1974 Landsdowne beat Wanderers* 1975 Blackrock College beat Bective Rangers...
team Stillorgan Lakelands FC, who play out of St. Benildus College
St. Benildus College is a Catholic boys' secondary school located in Kilmacud, Dublin, Ireland. It was established in 1966 when free secondary education was introduced in Ireland. Founded in 1966, the College was named after the De La Salle Saint, Brother Benildus of Clermont, France.. As of 2005,...
, as well as Stillorgan
Stillorgan RFC is an Irish rugby team based in County Dublin. They play in the Leinster Metropolitan League and will be playing at J2A level in 2011/2012 season after being promoted from J3 level in 2009. There are also teams playing at J4 and J5 standard. The club prides itself in an open door...
Stillorgan is one of six wards in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council
Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council is the local authority for the county of Dún Laoghaire–Rathdown in Ireland. It is one of three local authorities that comprised the former Dublin County Council before its abolition and one of four councils in the Dublin Region. It serves a population of...
. A map showing the composition of Stillorgan electoral area among the six in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown can be seen at the county council website
- Following the 2009 local elections there are 4 Councillors:
- Barry Saul (FG)
- Gearoid O'Keeffe (FG)
- Richard Humphreys (Lab)
- Gerry Horkan (FF)
For a list of candidates in the 2009 local elections for the Stillorgan Ward, see micandidate.eu
Irish Local Elections Results
- List of towns and villages in Ireland