Ask a question about 'Stockport town hall'
Start a new discussion about 'Stockport town hall'
Answer questions from other users
Stockport Town Hall
is a building in Stockport
Stockport is a town in Greater Manchester, England. It lies on elevated ground southeast of Manchester city centre, at the point where the rivers Goyt and Tame join and create the River Mersey. Stockport is the largest settlement in the metropolitan borough of the same name...
England is a country that is part of the United Kingdom. It shares land borders with Scotland to the north and Wales to the west; the Irish Sea is to the north west, the Celtic Sea to the south west, with the North Sea to the east and the English Channel to the south separating it from continental...
, that houses government and administrative functions. It was designed by architect Sir Alfred Brumwell Thomas, and opened by the then Prince
George V was King of the United Kingdom and the British Dominions, and Emperor of India, from 6 May 1910 through the First World War until his death in 1936....
and Princess of Wales
Mary of Teck was the queen consort of the United Kingdom and the British Dominions, and Empress of India, as the wife of King-Emperor George V....
in July 1908. To commemorate the Royal visit, part of Heaton Lane, a main shopping street in the town, was renamed Prince's Street.
Council and committee meetings take place during the evening in three oak-panelled committee rooms and in a traditional Council Chamber. The chamber has elaborate plasterwork, brass chandeliers and decorative carvings on oak benches. The civic collection of silver, some of which dates from the 15th century, lines the wall of the corridor outside the chamber. Stockport Town Hall is a licensed Wedding venue. Weddings and receptions are a frequent occurrence at the Town Hall.
An imposing Italian marble entrance leads to the Edwardian Ballroom, which former poet laureate Sir John Betjeman
Sir John Betjeman, CBE was an English poet, writer and broadcaster who described himself in Who's Who as a "poet and hack".He was a founding member of the Victorian Society and a passionate defender of Victorian architecture...
described as "magnificent". This contains a Wurlitzer organ formerly installed in Manchester's Paramount Theatre and moved to Manchester's Free Trade Hall in 1977 subsequently being moved to Stockport Town Hall and being opened at Stockport in late 1999. The Wurlitzer, a 'Publix 1' was one of only sixteen of its kind in the world and was designed by the famous American Theatre Organist Jesse Crawford for the accompaniment of silent films. The Manchester Paramount instrument was unique in being the only one to be exported to a theatre outside the United States. The organ has been fully overhauled and the old relays have been replaced with digital technology. Various changes to the organs original specification have been carried out throughout its life both in the theatre and its subsequent homes. The organ was installed and is owned by the Lancastrian Theatre Organ Trust but has been placed on permanent loan to Stockport Council. Since the introduction of the Wurlitzer in late 1999, a series of monthly Monday Lunchtime organ concerts have been featured with a short one hour programme and a low admission price these have proved extremely successful. The organ is also featured on alternate Monday evenings when resident organist Charles Brown plays the Wurlitzer for ballroom dancing.
The town hall is also the home of Stockport Symphony Orchestra, who perform classical concerts on a regular basis.
Stockport town hall has been nicknamed "the wedding cake"
Stockport Town Hall was designated a Grade II listed building
in 1975, upgraded to Grade II* in September 2007.