was founded in Chicago in 1935 by Lawrence B. Perkins
and Philip Will, Jr
., on the belief that design has the power to transform lives and enhance society. Using an interdisciplinary approach, Perkins+Will designers pushed design boundaries to create some of the world’s most innovative buildings while sharing their research and knowledge with the industry.
Perkins+Will routinely ranks among the world’s top design firms. In 2011 they were ranked #1 Design Firm by ARCHITECT Magazine. They have received hundreds of awards including the prestigious American Institute of Architects “Firm of the Year Award” and they were the first architectural firm to be awarded the National Building Museum Honor Award for Civic Innovation.
With more LEED® Accredited Professionals than any design firm in North America, Perkins+Will is recognized as one of the preeminent sustainable design firm in the country. In 2010, Building, Design + Construction ranked Perkins+Will the #1 Green Design Firm.
Lawrence B. Perkins and Philip Will established the firm in 1935. In 1985, Perkins+Will was bought by Dar Al-Handasah
Dar Al-Handasah is an international leading project design, management and supervision consultancy and founding member of the Dar Group. It is a multidisciplinary consulting organization for engineering, architecture, planning, environment, project management, and economics...
, a Lebanese consulting firm.
In 2011, Perkins+Will announced the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification of its 100th sustainable building, marking a key milestone for the firm and for the sustainable design industry. The Vancouver-based Dockside Green Phase Two Balance project marked the firm’s 100th LEED certified building and is tied for the highest scoring LEED building worldwide with its sister project, Dockside Green Phase One.
The following represent significant LEED projects at Perkins+Will:
- Dockside Green in Victoria, BC is the highest LEED score to date.
- Great River Energy in Maple Grove, MN is a LEED Platinum Building that is the first to combine Lake Source Geo-Exchange with displacement ventilation. Also it is one of a handful of projects with an urban wind turbine.
- Discovery Health Center – 1st LEED NC Certified ambulatory care facility in the country.
- Arlington Free Clinic – 1st LEED CI Gold free health clinic in the country.
- Rush University Medical Center, Orthopedic Ambulatory Building – Largest LEED CS Gold healthcare building in the country.
- First LEED Certified Target Retail Store.
Beyond the Building
In the spirit of collectively moving the industry, Perkins+Will has shared its research and developed public tools to help project teams infuse sustainability through the design process including:
- The Precautionary List - an online database highlights healthy alternatives to materials that may be harmful for humans and the environment.
- The 2030e2 Estimating + Evaluation Tool helps project teams set energy goals for the 2030 Challenge in four basic energy areas: efficiency and conservation, on-site renewable energy, off-site renewable energy and green power.
- Launched in 2009, the Perkins+Will Research Journal is a bi-annual peer reviewed journal presenting practice-related research associated with buildings and their environments.
- Perkins+Will is a part of Public Architecture’s 1% Solution, committing one percent of the firm’s billable resources to support pro bono initiatives. With Perkins+Will’s size that is equivalent of a 15-person firm working full-time to provide pro bono services to organizations who would otherwise not have such access each year.
Perkins+Will Offices and Services
Perkins+Will is an integrated design firm serving clients from offices in Atlanta, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Dubai, Dundas, Houston, London, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York, Orlando, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Research Triangle Park, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Shanghai, Toronto, Vancouver and Washington, DC.
The firm practices Architecture, Interiors, Branded Environments, Planning + Strategies, Preservation + Adaptive Reuse and Urban Design for clients in the Aviation + Transit, Corporate + Commercial + Civic, Healthcare, Higher Education, K-12 Education, Science + Technology and Sports + Recreation markets.
- Boeing International Headquarters
The Boeing International Headquarters is a 36-floor skyscraper located in the Near West Side of Chicago. The building has been made the corporate headquarters for Boeing, which decided in 2001 to move to Chicago from Seattle...
, Chicago, Illinois
- Chase Tower (Chicago)
Chase Tower, located in the Chicago Loop area of Chicago at 10 South Dearborn Street, is a 60 story skyscraper completed in 1969. At 850 feet tall, it is the tenth tallest building in Chicago, the tallest building inside the Chicago 'L' Loop elevated tracks, and the 32nd tallest in the United...
, Chicago, Illinois
- The Clare at Water Tower
The Clare at Water Tower. This first-of-its-kind, high-rise senior living community is situated on the Loyola University Chicago Water Tower Campus in Chicago's Gold Coast at Rush Street & Pearson Street. The 53 story building is designed by Perkins and Will, and is one of the tallest buildings...
, Chicago, Illinois
- Concordia International School Shanghai
Concordia International School Shanghai is a school based in Shanghai, China, founded in 1998.-Present:Concordia - one of Shanghai's three American-curriculum international schools - is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. A non-denominational Christian school, Concordia...
, Shanghai, China
- Crow Island School
Crow Island School is an elementary school significant for its progressive philosophy and its architecture. The design of its building was a collaboration between the Chicago firm of Perkins, Wheeler and Will and Eero Saarinen...
, Winnetka, Illinois
- Lake Forest College
Lake Forest College, founded in 1857, is a private liberal arts college in Lake Forest, Illinois. The college has 1,500 students representing 47 states and 78 countries....
, buildings in Middle and South Campus, Lake Forest, Illinois
- Duke University
Duke University is a private research university located in Durham, North Carolina, United States. Founded by Methodists and Quakers in the present day town of Trinity in 1838, the school moved to Durham in 1892. In 1924, tobacco industrialist James B...
Fuqua School of Business, Durham, North Carolina
- Florida Atlantic University
Florida Atlantic University, also referred to as FAU or Florida Atlantic, is a public, coeducational, research university located in , United States. The university has six satellite campuses located in the Florida cities of Dania Beach, Davie, Fort Lauderdale, Jupiter, Port St. Lucie, and in Fort...
, Schmidt Biomedical Science Center
- Fort Collins High School
Fort Collins High School, located at 3400 Lambkin Way, Fort Collins, Colorado, is one of four public senior high schools in the Poudre School District. Its school colors are purple and gold and the mascot is a lambkin. The school serves approximately 1,800 students and has a staff of about 130...
, Fort Collins, Colorado
- GlenOak High School
GlenOak High School is located in Plain Township, Stark County, Ohio. The school derives its name from the combination of the former Glenwood and Oakwood high schools, which were merged by the district in the fall of 1975...
, Plain Township, Ohio
- International School of Beijing
The International School of Beijing, also known as "ISB", is a non-profit private school in Shunyi province in Beijing, China. It is registered in China as an "independent school for foreign children." It is situated on a property, with facilities constructed specifically for the campus...
, Beijing, China
- Klaus Advanced Computing Building
The Christopher W. Klaus Advanced Computing Building is a three-story academic building at the Georgia Institute of Technology that houses a portion of its College of Computing, College of Engineering, and related programs.-Financing:...
, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, Georgia
- Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum
The Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum - The Museum of the Chicago Academy of Sciences is a nature museum located in Chicago, Illinois. The museum, which opened in a new facility in October 1999, is located at the intersection of Fullerton Parkway and Cannon Drive in Lincoln Park. The museum focuses on...
, Chicago, Illinois
- Proviso West High School
Proviso West High School is a public high school located in Hillside, Illinois, United States. Proviso West is a part of Proviso Township High Schools District 209, and was opened in 1958. Its sister school is Proviso East High School....
, Hillside, Illinois
Hillside is a village in Cook County, Illinois, United States. The population was 8,155 at the 2000 census.One notable landmark in Hillside is the Mount Carmel Cemetery. On the grounds of the cemetery are the graves of a number of organized crime figures, such as Al Capone and Dion O'Bannion...
- Ruth M. Rothstein CORE Center
The Ruth M. Rothstein CORE Center is a medical facility in the Illinois Medical District. It was founded by the Cook County Bureau of Health Services, and cares for people with diseases such as HIV/AIDS. In its mission statement, it explains its goals as:...
, Chicago, Illinois
- Tulane University
Tulane University is a private, nonsectarian research university located in New Orleans, Louisiana, United States...
, Mayer Residences, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Tufts University
Tufts University is a private research university located in Medford/Somerville, near Boston, Massachusetts. It is organized into ten schools, including two undergraduate programs and eight graduate divisions, on four campuses in Massachusetts and on the eastern border of France...
, Granoff Music Center, Boston
- University of Agostinho Neto
The Agostinho Neto University is a public Angolan university based in the capital, Luanda. Until 2009, it had campuses in all major Angolan cities...
, New Campus Master Plan, Luanda, Angola
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign is a large public research-intensive university in the state of Illinois, United States. It is the flagship campus of the University of Illinois system...
, Temple Hoyne Buell Hall, Champaign, Illinois
- University of Miami
The University of Miami is a private, non-sectarian university founded in 1925 with its main campus in Coral Gables, Florida, a medical campus in Miami city proper at Civic Center, and an oceanographic research facility on Virginia Key., the university currently enrolls 15,629 students in 12...
, School of Communication, Miami, Florida
- University of Pennsylvania
The University of Pennsylvania is a private, Ivy League university located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States. Penn is the fourth-oldest institution of higher education in the United States,Penn is the fourth-oldest using the founding dates claimed by each institution...
, Biomedical Research Building II, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- University of Southern California
The University of Southern California is a private, not-for-profit, nonsectarian, research university located in Los Angeles, California, United States. USC was founded in 1880, making it California's oldest private research university...
, Zilkha Neurogenetic Institute, Los Angeles, California
- Antilia, Mumbai
Mumbai , formerly known as Bombay in English, is the capital of the Indian state of Maharashtra. It is the most populous city in India, and the fourth most populous city in the world, with a total metropolitan area population of approximately 20.5 million...
Maharashtra is a state located in India. It is the second most populous after Uttar Pradesh and third largest state by area in India...
India , officially the Republic of India , is a country in South Asia. It is the seventh-largest country by geographical area, the second-most populous country with over 1.2 billion people, and the most populous democracy in the world...
- 235 Van Buren, Chicago, Illinois
- University Health System
University Health System is the public district hospital for Bexar County, Texas and San Antonio's only health system recognized by U.S. News & World Report, regarded as one of America's Best Hospitals...
2012 expansion project, San Antonio, Texas
Texas is the second largest U.S. state by both area and population, and the largest state by area in the contiguous United States.The name, based on the Caddo word "Tejas" meaning "friends" or "allies", was applied by the Spanish to the Caddo themselves and to the region of their settlement in...
- Los Angeles United States Court House, Los Angeles, California, new facility
- 2010 Honor Award for Civic Innovation from the National Building Museum
- 2009 and 2008 Practice Greenhealth Champion for Change Award
- 2009 COTE Top 10 Green Projects, Dockside Green and Great River Energy
- 2008 BusinessWeek and Architectural Record "Good Design is Good Business" Award for Haworth Headquarters
- 2008 CoreNet Sustainability Leadership Award for Sustainable Development
- 2008 National Honor Award for Regional and Urban Design from the AIA for Treasure Island Masterplan in San Francisco, California
- 2008 Certificate of Merit from the AIA Academy of Architecture for Justice, for Dallas South Central Police Station in Dallas, Texas and Fort Worth Police Station in Fort Worth, Texas
- 2007 National Honor Award for Interior Architecture from the AIA for Haworth Chicago 2004 Showroom
- 2003 National Honor Award from the AIA for Skybridge at One North Halsted, Chicago, Illinois
- 1999 Architecture Firm Award from the AIA