The Lincoln Continental Mark VI
is a full-size luxury car that was sold by the Lincoln-Mercury
Lincoln is an American luxury vehicle brand of the Ford Motor Company. Lincoln vehicles are sold mostly in North America.-History:The company was founded in August 1915 by Henry M. Leland, one of the founders of Cadillac . During World War I, he left Cadillac which was sold to General Motors...
division of Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker based in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. The automaker was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. In addition to the Ford and Lincoln brands, Ford also owns a small stake in Mazda in Japan and Aston Martin in the UK...
from 1980 to 1983. As a response to federal fuel economy standards, the Mark VI was the first model of the Mark series
The Continental Mark II was a personal luxury car produced by a newly formed Continental Division of the Ford Motor Company for only two model years: 1956 and 1957....
with smaller exterior dimensions than its predecessor. Sharing powertrain and many body panels with the 1980 Lincoln Continental
The Lincoln Continental is an automobile which was produced by the Lincoln division of Ford Motor Company from 1939 to 1948 and again from 1956 to 2002...
, it was based on the then-new Ford Panther platform
The Ford Panther platform is an automobile platform that was used by Ford Motor Company for full-size, rear-wheel drive sedans. Introduced in late 1978 for the 1979 model year, it was progressively updated over 33 years of production. In September 2011, the last car produced on the platform was...
For the first time since 1960, the Lincoln Mark Series was produced in multiple bodystyles. Along with the familiar 2-door sedan, Lincoln reintroduced a 4-door sedan bodystyle. All Continental Mark VIs were produced at Ford's Wixom Assembly Plant
The Ford Wixom Assembly Plant, now known as the Ford Renewable Energy Park, is a former Ford Motor Company automobile assembly plant in Wixom, Michigan, United States.-Ford years:...
in Wixom, Michigan.
The Mark VI was replaced by the Mark VII
See Lincoln Mark for a complete overview of the Lincoln Mark Series.The Continental Mark VII, later shortened to just Mark VII, was a rear wheel drive luxury coupe from Lincoln...
in 1984, which returned to a coupe-only bodystyle.
In comparison to its Mark V predecessor, the 1980 Mark VI shed over 800 pounds, 14 inches in length. As the Mark V was still popular during the late 1970s, much of its sharp-edged styling was carried over onto Panther-platform Lincolns. To differentiate themselves from the standard two-door Continentals and Town Coupes, the two-door Mark VI was built on the shorter wheelbase used by the Ford LTD and Mercury Marquis. It wore a 3-inch shorter wheelbase than the 4-door.
In contrast, the four-door Mark VI visibly differed from a Continental Town Car only by its opera window
Opera Windows are small porthole sized side windows in the C-pillar of some cars. Typically offered in unison with a vinyl roof, they were a very common design feature of American automobiles during the 1970s. The design was new at the time, "... and would prove to be very popular, indicated by its...
, Continental trunklid spare-tire hump, front fender louvers, vacuum operated hide-away headlights, and a slightly different Rolls-Royce style grille.
The Mark VI also was one of the first cars seen with several features commonly seen today; it came with pushbutton keyless entry, digital instrumentation (VFD
A vacuum fluorescent display is a display device used commonly on consumer-electronics equipment such as video cassette recorders, car radios, and microwave ovens. Invented in Japan in 1967, the displays became common on calculators and other consumer electronics devices...
), and trip computer. Also, it was the first year for the EEC III engine management system which kept fuel economy high and emissions low, an industry first.
Under the hood of the Mark VI, both the 460 and 400 cubic-inch V8s (the former seen in Lincolns since 1968) were replaced in order to meet increasingly stringent federal fuel economy standards. The standard engine was a 302 cubic-inch V8; remarketed as a "5.0 liter" V8, it was the first fuel-injected V8 engine sold by Ford. As an option, a 351 cubic-inch V8 with a variable-venturi 2-barrel carburetor was available; this was discontinued after 1980.
Introduced for 1980, the AOD automatic
The AOD is a four-speed automatic transmission with overdrive. Introduced in 1980, it was Ford's first four-speed automatic overdrive transmission. The design is based on the same gearset as the 1960s and 1970s...
helped boost the fuel economy of all full-size cars at Ford; instead of the commonly seen 3-speed layout, it boasted a 4-speed overdrive configuration.
For 1980, the Signature Series was available in both coupe and sedan formats. This edition was a successor to the 1979 Collector's Series option package, including almost every Lincoln option available. These cars were available in either burgundy or silver exterior colors. The only interior color was red, in either leather or velour. Unique features included a rechargeable glove box flashlight, special seat sew pattern, gold and Macaser Ebony wood treatments and a complete digital instrument cluster with fully electronically controlled EEC III engine with a 4-speed AOD, and a leather-bound tool kit in the trunk. Final cost was over well $26,000.00 (equivalent to nearly $67,900 in 2010 dollars) and topped out to be the most expensive Lincoln built for many, many years to follow.
In 1981, the Signature Series edition was offered again in red or silver, with a choice of black or white exterior colors being added near the end of the model year. The interior color on these Signature Series cars was red only, in leather or velour. For 1982, the Signature Series carried on as well, but lost its exclusive colors, as these cars were now available in any exterior color and any interior color. The tool kit and glove box flashlight were no longer featured as well.
Lincoln offered designer editions for the Mark VI Coupe in 1980. These were the Cartier, Pucci, Bill Blass, and Givenchy versions. Each designer edition carried exclusive exterior and interior color combinations, as well as more optional equipment over the standard model.
The designer editions were offered in 1981 for the coupe model only. These included Bill Blass, Cartier, Emilio Pucci, and Givenchy. In 1982 designer editions received a shuffle of sorts as the sedan was now available as an Emilio Pucci edition removing this package from the coupe. The remaining designers-Bill Blass and Givenchy-were available on the coupe; the Cartier edition was dropped from the Mark VI and moved to the Town Car.
For 1983, the Givenchy Edition was dropped and model line-up consisted of the standard coupe/sedan, the Signature Series coupe/sedan, the Bill Blass Edition coupe, and the Emilio Pucci Edition sedan. The Blass edition retained its "carriage roof" (convertible-look) and a unique exterior paint combination exclusive to the model in either vanilla/black/vanilla, or black/vanilla/black. The Emilio Pucci Edition shared this roof treatment for 1983 and had a unique exterior color combination of Dark Blue Cambria cloth top and Blue Flannel Mist body. The coupe version of the Emilio Pucci Designer edition was a mid-year introduction.