Ask a question about 'Gweedore GAA'
Start a new discussion about 'Gweedore GAA'
Answer questions from other users
Gaoth Dobhair GAA
is a Gaelic Athletic Association
The Gaelic Athletic Association is an amateur Irish and international cultural and sporting organisation focused primarily on promoting Gaelic games, which include the traditional Irish sports of hurling, camogie, Gaelic football, handball and rounders...
club based in the parish of Gweedore
Gweedore is an Irish-speaking district located on the Atlantic coast of County Donegal, part of the Province of Ulster in Ireland. Gweedore stretches some 16 miles from Meenaclady in the north to Crolly in the south and around 9 miles from Dunlewey in the east to Magheraclogher in the west, and...
in northwest County Donegal
County Donegal is a county in Ireland. It is part of the Border Region and is also located in the province of Ulster. It is named after the town of Donegal. Donegal County Council is the local authority for the county...
Ireland , described as the Republic of Ireland , is a sovereign state in Europe occupying approximately five-sixths of the island of the same name. Its capital is Dublin. Ireland, which had a population of 4.58 million in 2011, is a constitutional republic governed as a parliamentary democracy,...
. Their home ground is at Machaire Gathlán, and they are currently the most successful club in the Donegal Senior Football Championship.
The first records of Gaelic football being played in Gaoth Dobhair date back to 1918. Up until the late 1920s, there was no official club, but two teams in the parish. (One consisting of players from the east of Derrybeg church, and the other comprising players from the west of the church.) Cumann Lúthchleas Gael Ghaoth Dobhair
would later be founded in 1931.
Roll of honour
Gaoth Dobhair have won a total of 14 Donegal Senior County Championships, more than any other club in Donegal. The last of which was won on 30 September 2006 in Mac Cumhaill Park, Ballybofey
Ballybofey is a town located on the south bank of the River Finn, County Donegal, Ireland. Along with the smaller town of Stranorlar on the north side of the River Finn, Ballybofey makes up the Twin Towns....
against rivals St Eunan's
Naomh Adhamhnáin is a Gaelic Athletic Association club based in Letterkenny, County Donegal, Ireland. Their home ground is O'Donnell Park.- History :The club was founded in 1927...
- Donegal Senior Football Championship (14): 1935, 1938, 1941, 1944, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1949, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1961, 2002, 2006
- Donegal Senior League (12): 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1942, 1946, 1950, 1953, 1970, 1973, 2003, 2006
- Donegal Under 21 Championship (4): 1971, 1984, 1991, 2005
- Donegal Under 18 Championship (8): 1933, 1934, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1976, 1987, 1999
- Donegal Under 16 Championship (3): 1958, 1962 , 2011
- Donegal under 15 championship (1): 2011 * Donegal Under 14 Championship (2): 1967, 1986 , 2010
- Donegal Under 13 Championship (1): 1985
- Donegal Under 12 Championship (1) 1985
- Donegal County Gaeltacht Championship (12) 1969, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1978, 1993, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007,2008,
- Comórtas Peile na Gaeltachta
Comórtas Peile na Gaeltachta is an annual Gaelic football competition contested by clubs from the Irish language-speaking Gaeltacht areas of Ireland. Clubs compete on a county-basis at first, in order to qualify for the tournament that is hosted by a different club from the Gaeltacht each year...
(Náisiúnta) (7) 1969, 1975, 1976, 1994, 2002, 2004, 2007