Ask a question about 'William Venn Gough'
Start a new discussion about 'William Venn Gough'
Answer questions from other users
William Venn Gough
was an architect responsible for a number of prominent buildings in Bristol
Bristol is a city, unitary authority area and ceremonial county in South West England, with an estimated population of 433,100 for the unitary authority in 2009, and a surrounding Larger Urban Zone with an estimated 1,070,000 residents in 2007...
. His works include the Cabot Tower
Cabot Tower is a tower in Bristol, England, situated in a public park on Brandon Hill, between the city centre, Clifton and Hotwells. It was constructed in memory of John Cabot, 400 years after he set sail in the Matthew from Bristol and landed in what was later to become Canada. The foundation...
, Colston's Girls' School
Colston's Girls' School, is an Academy for girls in Bristol, England. Prior to 2008 the school was a selective independent school, voluntarily converting to a state-funded Academy with effect from September 2008...
, Trinity Road Library
Trinity Road Library is an historic building situated on Trinity Road, St Philips, Bristol, England.It was constructed in 1896 in a Jacobethan style, to the plans of William Venn Gough, and bears an inscription with its original name, St Philips Public Library.It has been designated by English...
, and Port of Bristol Authority Docks Office, now Queen Square House
Queen Square House is an historic building situated in Queen Square, Bristol, England.Originally constructed in 1889 to the plans of William Venn Gough, as the Port of Bristol Authority Docks Office, it is in a richly decorated Classical style with a roof in the French Empire style.It has been...
, in Queen Square
Queen Square is a garden square in the centre of Bristol, England. It was originally a fashionable residential address, but now most of the buildings are in office use....
From 1872 he had an office at Athenaeum Chambers, Nicholas Street, Bristol. and then from 1898 to 1906 at 98, Hampton Road, Bristol. He then moved to 24, Bridge Street, Bristol until 1914.