born in Matadi
Matadi is the chief sea port of the Democratic Republic of the Congo and the capital of the Bas-Congo province. It has a population of 245,862 . Matadi is situated on the left bank of the Congo River from the mouth and below the last navigable point before rapids make the river impassable for a...
in what is now the Democratic Republic of Congo. He spent early 70's with various bands in Kinshasa
Kinshasa is the capital and largest city of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. The city is located on the Congo River....
, before moving to Uganda
Uganda , officially the Republic of Uganda, is a landlocked country in East Africa. Uganda is also known as the "Pearl of Africa". It is bordered on the east by Kenya, on the north by South Sudan, on the west by the Democratic Republic of the Congo, on the southwest by Rwanda, and on the south by...
in 1975 where he and some other Congolese musicians formed the Les Kinois
band. They moved to Nairobi
Nairobi is the capital and largest city of Kenya. The city and its surrounding area also forms the Nairobi County. The name "Nairobi" comes from the Maasai phrase Enkare Nyirobi, which translates to "the place of cool waters". However, it is popularly known as the "Green City in the Sun" and is...
in 1977. He formed a new band, the Orchestra Virunga
, in 1981. The band is named after Virunga
* Virunga Mountains, a chain of volcanoes in East Africa, between Lake Edward and Lake Kivu.* Virunga National Park, in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.* DC Virunga, a Congolese football club based in Goma.* Stade de Virunga, a multi-use stadium in Goma....
volcano located in Congo.
Orchestra Virunga released their first album, It's Disco Time with Samba Mapangala
in 1982. In early 90's the group gained some international popularity through album releases like "Virunga Volcano" and "Feet on Fire".
He has continued to record, and is still one of the leading musicians in East Africa. He is now based in the United States
The United States of America is a federal constitutional republic comprising fifty states and a federal district...
. Mapangala began performing with Occidental Brothers Dance Band International in the fall of 2009.
Mapangala is considered as one of the golden era of Kenyan Lingala music acts alongside Les Mangelepa
Les Mangelepa is a musical group from Kenya. It is considered as one of the golden era of Kenyan Lingala music acts alongside Super Mazembe, Baba Gaston and Samba Mapangala....
, Baba Gaston and Super Mazembe
Orchestra Super Mazembe was a popular band based in Kenya playing Lingala music. The band had roots in Super Vox, a band formed in 1967 in Zaire and led by Mutonkole Longwa Didos. The band moved to Nairobi in 1974 and changed its name to Orchestra Super Mazembe.Their biggest hit was "Shauri...
At the 2004 Tanzania Music Awards
Tanzania Music Awards are national music awards held annually in Tanzania. It is also known as Kilimanjaro Music Awards or Kili Music Awards after its sponsor . The awards were established in 1999 by the National Arts Council under the Tanzanian Ministry of Education and Culture.- External links...
his album Ujumbe
was nominated in the best African Album category.
Samba Mapangala has released the following albums
- It's Disco Time with Samba Mapangala (1982)
- Evasion (1983)
- Safari 1988 (Kenyan cassette)
- Vunja Mifupa 1989 (CBS Kenya IVA 071, cassette)
- Paris-Nairobi 1990 (European cassette)
- Virunga Volcano 1990 (Earthworks, CD)
- Feet On Fire 1991(Stern's Africa STCD 1036, CD)
- Karibu Kenya 1996 (Sun Music, CD)
- Vunja Mifupa 1997 (Lusam 01, CD)
- Ujumbe 2001 (Stern's / Earthworks STEW43CD)
- Vunja Mifupa Virunga Roots Volume 1 2004 (Samba Mapangala)
- Song and Dance (2006) (Virunga Records)
- African Classics (2008) (Sheer Sound)