Ask a question about 'Navigation system'
Start a new discussion about 'Navigation system'
Answer questions from other users
A navigation system
is a (usually electronic) system that aids is navigation
Navigation is the process of monitoring and controlling the movement of a craft or vehicle from one place to another. It is also the term of art used for the specialized knowledge used by navigators to perform navigation tasks...
. Navigation systems may be entirely on board a vehicle or vessel, or they may be located elsewhere and communicate via radio or other signals with a vehicle or vessel, or they may use a combination of these methods.
Navigation systems may be capable of:
- containing maps, which may be displayed in human readable format via text or in a graphical format
- determining a vehicle or vessel's location via sensors, maps, or information from external sources
- providing suggested directions to a human in charge of a vehicle or vessel via text or speech
- providing directions directly to an autonomous vehicle such as a robotic probe or guided missile
- providing information on nearby vehicles or vessels, or other hazards or obstacles
- providing information on traffic conditions and suggesting alternative directions
Types of navigation systems
- Automotive navigation system
An automotive navigation system is a satellite navigation system designed for use in automobiles. It typically uses a GPS navigation device to acquire position data to locate the user on a road in the unit's map database. Using the road database, the unit can give directions to other locations...
- Marine navigation system
- Global Positioning System
The Global Positioning System is a space-based global navigation satellite system that provides location and time information in all weather, anywhere on or near the Earth, where there is an unobstructed line of sight to four or more GPS satellites...
, a group of satellites and computers that can provide information on any person, vessel, or vehicle's location via a GPS receiver
- GPS navigation device
A GPS navigation device is any device that receives Global Positioning System signals for the purpose of determining the device's current location on Earth...
, a device that can receive GPS signals for the purpose of determining the device's location and possibly to suggest or give directions
- Inertial guidance system, a system which continuously determines the position, orientation, and velocity (direction and speed of movement) of a moving object without the need for external reference
- Robotic mapping
Robotic mapping is related to cartography. The goal for an autonomous robot to be able to construct a map or floor plan and to localize itself in it...
, the methods and equipment by which an autonomous robot is be able to construct (or use) a map or floor plan and to localize itself within it