Borough House Plantation
, also known as Borough House
, Hillcrest Plantation
and Anderson Place
, is an historic place in Stateburg
Stateburg is a census-designated place in the High Hills of Santee in Sumter County, South Carolina, United States. The population was 1,264 at the 2000 census. It is included in the Sumter, South Carolina Metropolitan Statistical Area...
, in the High Hills of Santee
The High Hills of Santee, sometimes known as the High Hills of the Santee, is a long, narrow hilly region in the western part of Sumter County, South Carolina. It has been called "one of the state's most famous areas". The High Hills of Santee region lies north of the Santee River and east of the...
near Sumter, South Carolina
-Demographics:, there were 59,180 people, 34,717 households, and 4,049 families living in the city. The population density was 4,469.5 people per square mile . There were 416,032 housing units at an average density of 603.0 per square mile...
The original house built in 1758 served at different times during the American Revolution
The American Revolution was the political upheaval during the last half of the 18th century in which thirteen colonies in North America joined together to break free from the British Empire, combining to become the United States of America...
as headquarters for both British General Lord Cornwallis and American General Nathanael Greene
Nathanael Greene was a major general of the Continental Army in the American Revolutionary War. When the war began, Greene was a militia private, the lowest rank possible; he emerged from the war with a reputation as George Washington's most gifted and dependable officer. Many places in the United...
The second house was built in 1820 of rammed earth
Rammed earth, also known as taipa , tapial , and pisé , is a technique for building walls using the raw materials of earth, chalk, lime and gravel. It is an ancient building method that has seen a revival in recent years as people seek more sustainable building materials and natural building methods...
by William Wallace Anderson
William Wallace Anderson was a medical doctor and was involved in architecture of rammed earth construction in South Carolina. He was the father of Confederate General Richard H. Anderson...
, M.D. On October 7, 1821, his wife, the former Mary Jane Mackensie, gave birth there to their son, Richard H. Anderson
Richard Heron Anderson was a career U.S. Army officer, fighting with distinction in the Mexican-American War. He also served as a Confederate general during the American Civil War, fighting in the Eastern Theater of the conflict and most notably during the 1864 Battle of Spotsylvania Court House...
, the future Confederate Army general.
Stateburg was originally called Stateborough
, and when the town was laid out, Borough House was the only residence in it, hence the name.
In 1850-1852, Dr. Anderson chaired the committee that built the Church of the Holy Cross
Church of the Holy Cross, also known as the Holy Cross Episcopal Church, is an historic church in Stateburg, in the High Hills of Santee near Sumter, South Carolina. It is located on land donated earlier by General Thomas Sumter, a resident of Stateburg, and its walls were constructed of rammed...
of rammed earth across the road from Borough Hall. In 1851, Joel Roberts Poinsett
Joel Roberts Poinsett was a physician, botanist and American statesman. He was a member of the United States House of Representatives, the first United States Minister to Mexico , a U.S...
, physician, American statesman and botanist. died while visiting Dr. Anderson and was buried in the churchyard across the road.
Its National Historic Landmark description states:
- "Constructed in 1821, the Borough House Plantation complex contains the oldest and largest collection of "high style" pise de terre (rammed earth) buildings in the United States. Six of the 27 dependencies and portions of the main house were constructed using this ancient technique, which was introduced to this country in 1806 through the book RURAL ECONOMY by S.W. Johnson."
On March 23, 1972, Borough Hall Plantation was added to the National Register of Historic Places
The National Register of Historic Places is the United States government's official list of districts, sites, buildings, structures, and objects deemed worthy of preservation...
and declared a National Historic Landmark
A National Historic Landmark is a building, site, structure, object, or district, that is officially recognized by the United States government for its historical significance...
Borough Hall Plantation is located on SC 261 0.8 mi. N of its intersection with U.S. Route 76
U.S. Route 76 is an east–west United States highway that runs for from Chattanooga, Tennessee to Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina.-Tennessee:...
/US Route 378. It is in the Stateburg Historic District
The Stateburg Historic District is a historic district in Stateburg, in the High Hills of Santee area near Sumter,South Carolina in the United States. It includes two National Historic Landmarks, Borough House Plantation and the Church of the Holy Cross, and at least eight contributing properties...
The South Carolina Department of Archives and History summary is here.
- History of Church & Joel R. Poinsett
- Paper on Rammed Earth with a History of Church of the Holy Cross
- Borough House Plantation, Sumter County (SC Hwy 261, Stateburg vicinity), at South Carolina Department of Archives and History
- Borough House, West Side State Route 261, about .1 mile south side of junction with old Garners Ferry Road, Stateburg, Sumter County, SC: 65 photos, 4 color photos, 30 drawings, 55 data pages, at Historic American Building Survey. Outbuildings and other related Borough House buildings are covered in additional HABS photosets, available by search of HABS/HAER here.
- TopoQuest map of Borough Plantation