is a 1st class municipality in the province of Bulacan, Philippines
The Philippines , officially known as the Republic of the Philippines , is a country in Southeast Asia in the western Pacific Ocean. To its north across the Luzon Strait lies Taiwan. West across the South China Sea sits Vietnam...
. According to the latest census, it has a population of 93,438 inhabitants in 15,753 households.
Built up area
With the continuous expansion of Metro Manila
Metropolitan Manila , the National Capital Region , or simply Metro Manila, is the metropolitan region encompassing the City of Manila and its surrounding areas in the Philippines...
, the municipality is now included in Manila built up area which reaches San Ildefonso in its Northernmost part.
Long before the arrival of the Spaniards in the Philippines, the town of San Ildefonso was known as Bulak. The early inhabitants called this town as such because of the abundant "kapok" trees (Bulak in vernacular
) growing on the hill where the town proper is now situated.
The southern part of Bulak was a barrio of San Rafael while the northern side belongs to the town of San Miguel. There were very few inhabitants numbering only about 3,000. The early inhabitants were people from neighboring towns and provinces that preferred to settle in this place because of the good prospect of agriculture.
When the Spaniards came, the name Bulak was changed to Hacienda San Juan de Dios because the 155 km² of grazing and farming grounds were claimed by the friars. The people were told to pay tribute. Proceeds from the rentals were used to finance the operation of the San Juan de Dios Hospital in Manila. The Spanish friars though antagonistic towards the Filipinos, could not help admiring the beauty of the numerous natural scenarios God bestowed on the town. Because of their admiration, they changed the name Hacienda de San Juan de Dios to amore fitting one Hacienda Buenavista, a Spanish word which means beautiful scenery.
As the population grew, a chapel was constructed under the parochial jurisdiction of San Rafael. In 1879, Father Juan dela Rosa was named the first Spanish/Filipino priest of the town. He held such position up to 1911. He was responsible for changing the Bulak to San Ildefonso in honor of Alfonso XII, then the King of Spain and San Ildefonso, its Patron Saint. By the time it was given this name, a tribunal was created finally making it a town in 1887. Between the periods 1905-1906, San Ildefonso was merged with San Miguel due to its low income and inability to finance its expenditures in operating the local government.
Begins the Second World War, the occupied by the Japanese Imperial forces enters the town municipality of San Ildefonso.
In August 3, 1945 Beginning the Bulaceño Bolomen then not weapons used the Bolo machette, Knives, Spears & M1911 Pistols when the bloody massacred to Japanese Imperial forces called San Ildefonso Massacre or the Battle of San Ildefonso when other Japanese forces defeated, killed and massacred from the victorious from the Filipinos.
The Bulaceño Bolomen was invaded and entering the Japanese Military Garrisons, municipal town plazas, catholic churches and many more was around in town municipality of San Ildefonso and attack and massacred Japanese Imperial forces.
After the San Ildefonso Massacre in 1945 by the Filipino bolomen to coming to the Filipino troops of the 3rd and 32nd Infantry Division, Philippine Commonwealth Army in San Ildefonso, Bulacan from the bolomen's to given to the Philippine Flag to the Filipino troops by the suite to victory, founded in the Filipino soldiers and Filipino bolomen up to the Bolo Machette raised to the Philippine war flag after the war.
As years went by, more and more people were induced to live in the town. The growth of population promoted the increase of income. The town became capable of meeting its expenses so it consequently ceased being a barrio of San Miguel and became once again an independent town.
The first complete history book of San Ildefonso, Bulacan, titled, "Bulac noon, San Ildefonso Ngayon" (Bulac then, San Ildefonso Now), auhored by Angelo J. and Aloma M. de los Reyes was published by the Catholic Parish of the town in the second half of the 1980s. It is written in Pilipino (Tagalog-based, National Language of the Philippines). Copyright-owners are the Parish and the authors (c/o SynerAide Publications, 28 Tindalo St., T&CEVillage, Mayamot, Antipolo City, Philippines.
San Ildefonso is politically subdivided into 36 barangay
A barangay is the smallest administrative division in the Philippines and is the native Filipino term for a village, district or ward...
s (5 urban, 31 rural).
- Bagong Barrio
- Bubulong Munti
- Bubulong Malaki
- Buhol na Mangga
- Mataas na Parang
- Nabaong Garlang
- Pasong Bangkal
- Pulong Tamo
- San Juan
- Santa Catalina Bata
- Santa Catalina Matanda
- Sapang Dayap
- Sapang Putik
- Sapang Putol
Commerce and Industry
Cement, Pyrotechnics, Feed Mills, Food/Food Processing, Garments, Hat Making, Wood Crafts, High-Yield Crops, Marble/Marble Processing, Metalcraft
Bakeries and Sweet Preserves,Chicharon, Poultry and Livestock, Rice, High Value Crops, Marbles
Red House (Bahay na Pula)
Bahay na Pula in Anyatam symbolizes the oppression of the Bulakenyas in the hands of the Japanese forces when they served as “comfort women”. It served as the garrison of the Japanese soldiers where they killed many Filipino soldiers and guerrilla fighters.
Another town's landmark is the Bulacan Agricultural State College located at barangay Pinaod, the only agricultural state college in the province. Its reservation is approximately 192 hectares, covering some parcels of barangay Pinaod, matimbubong, sapang putol and Poblacion.