Anton Bruckner was an Austrian composer known for his symphonies, masses, and motets. The first are considered emblematic of the final stage of Austro-German Romanticism because of their rich harmonic language, complex polyphony, and considerable length...
's Psalm 112
in E flat major is a composition for eight-part double mixed choir and full orchestra, opus WAB 35. It is a setting of the Psalm 113
Psalm 113 is the 113th psalm of the Book of Psalms .It is usually known by its first two words, Laudate pueri, and there are many musical settings including in Claudio Monteverdi's Vespro della Beata Vergine of 1610.# Laudate pueri Dominum,# laudate nomen Domini.# Sit nomen Domini benedictum# ex...
in the modern liturgy.
Bruckner composed it in 1863, after he had ended his studies under Sechter and Kitzler. In the same year he also composed his Study Symphony
Anton Bruckner's Study Symphony in F minor, , or simply Symphony in F minor, WAB 99, was written in 1863 as an exercise under Otto Kitzler's instruction in form and orchestration. Scholars at first believed that the next symphony Bruckner wrote was Symphony No. 0 in D minor, thus this symphony is...
in F minor. "His next large choral work after this Psalm was to be the powerful Mass in D minor
Mass No. 1 in D minor, WAB 26 by Anton Bruckner, is a setting of the Mass ordinary for soloists, mixed choir, orchestra and organ.Bruckner composed it in 1864, and revised it in 1876 and 1881/82...
of the following year, the first of the three great masses."
- Alleluja! Lobet den Herrn, ihr Diener, lobet den Namen des Herrn!
- Der Name des Herrn sey gebenedeit, von nun an bis in Ewigkeit!
- Vom Aufgang der Sonne bis zum Untergange sey gelobet der Name des Herrn!
- Hoch über alle Völker ist der Herr, und über die Himmel seine Herrlichkeit.
- Wer ist wie der Herr, unser Gott? der in der Höhe wohnet,
- der auf das Niedrige schauet im Himmel und auf Erden,
- der den Geringen aufrichtet aus dem Staube, und aus dem Kothe erhöhet den Armen:
- daß er ihn setze neben die Fürsten, neben die Fürsten seines Volkes:
- der die Unfruchtbare wohnen läßt im Hause, als fröhliche Mutter von Kindern.
The setting of the work is in four parts:
- "Alleluja! Lobet den Herrn"
- "Wer ist wie der Herr, unser Gott?"
- Partial recapitulation (first two verses) followed by a fugue
In music, a fugue is a compositional technique in two or more voices, built on a subject that is introduced at the beginning in imitation and recurs frequently in the course of the composition....
- Full-scale recapitulation of the first part
"Psalm 112 with its … clear repeat structure is a product of [Kitzler’s] tutelage." "There is some rich and sonorous writing, and … the whole thing has an enthusiastic punch and an already mature skill in execution." However, "the full-scale recapitulation [of the first part] creates some stiffness rather then satisfying symmetry."
Bruckner also set Psalms 22
Bruckner's Psalm 22 is a composition for mixed choir, soloists , and piano in E flat major, opus WAB 34. It is a setting of the Psalm 23 in the modern liturgy....
Bruckner's Psalm 114 in G major is a composition for five-part mixed choir and three trombones, opus WAB 36. It is a setting of the Psalm 116 in the modern liturgy.The work was composed in 1852 in St. Florian...
Psalm 146 in A major by Anton Bruckner is a large religious work for eight-part double mixed choir, four soloists and full orchestra. It is a setting of verses 1 to 11 of Psalm 147 in the modern liturgy....
Anton Bruckner's Psalm 150, WAB 38, is a setting of Psalm 150 for mixed chorus, soprano soloist and orchestra written in 1892.Richard Heuberger asked Bruckner for a festive hymn to celebrate an opening, but Bruckner did not deliver the piece in time for Heuberger's purpose. The setting was...
- Matthew Best, Bruckner - Requiem, Psalms 112 & 114, Corydon Singers, English Chamber Orchestra, Hyperion CDA66245, 1987
- Karl Anton Rickenbacher, Bruckner - Missa Solemnis, Psalm 112 & Psalm 150, Chor und Orchester der Bamberger Symphoniker, Virgin Classics VC 7 91481, 1990