Ask a question about 'Playing the Fool'
Start a new discussion about 'Playing the Fool'
Answer questions from other users
The Official Live - Playing the Fool
is a live album
A live album is a recording consisting of material recorded during stage performances using remote recording techniques, commonly contrasted with a studio album...
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern IrelandIn the United Kingdom and Dependencies, other languages have been officially recognised as legitimate autochthonous languages under the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages...
Progressive rock is a subgenre of rock music that developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s as part of a "mostly British attempt to elevate rock music to new levels of artistic credibility." John Covach, in Contemporary Music Review, says that many thought it would not just "succeed the pop of...
band Gentle Giant
Gentle Giant were a British progressive rock band active between 1970 and 1980. The band was known for the complexity and sophistication of its music and for the varied musical skills of its members. All of the band members, except the first two drummers, were multi-instrumentalists...
which was released in 1977. It demonstrates the band's complex musicianship and talent as well as showcasing versions of songs which are often greatly modified from the original album versions.
LP 1, Side One
- "Just the Same/Proclamation" – 11:13 (Düsseldorf, 1976-09-23)
- "On Reflection" – 6:20 (Düsseldorf, 1976-09-23)
LP 1, Side Two
- "(Octopus) Boys In The Band" – 15:35 (Paris, 1976-10-05)
- "Funny Ways" – 8:35 (Munich, 1976-09-25)
LP 2, Side One
- "In A Glass House" – 9:31 (Paris, 1976-10-05)
- "So Sincere" – 10:22 (Paris, 1976-10-05)
LP 2, Side Two
- "Free Hand" – 7:40 (Brussels, 1976-10-07)
- "Sweet Georgia Brown" – 1:15 (Brussels, 1976-10-07)
- "Peel the Paint/I Lost My Head" – 7:35 (Paris, 1976-10-05)
Total time 41:44
- "Just the Same" – 5:57
- "Proclamation" – 5:18
- "On Reflection" – 6:20
- "Excerpts From Octopus" – 15:39
- "Funny Ways" – 8:30
- Proclamation [CD-ROM Track]
Total time 36:25
- "The Runaway" – 3:56
- "Experience" – 5:36
- "So Sincere" – 10:20
- "Free Hand" – 7:40
- "Sweet Georgia Brown (Breakdown In Brussels)" – 1:21
- "Peel the Paint/I Lost My Head" – 7:32
Note: The track listing and times have changed throughout the years and the different releases that this album has seen.
- Gary Green
Gary Green is a British musician. During the 1970s, he was the guitarist for the progressive rock band Gentle Giant. Green was with the band from the debut album Gentle Giant all the way to the last album Civilian. Green's style was different from most of his peers, being a more "blues" based...
– electric guitar, acoustic guitar, 12 string guitar, alto recorder, descant recorder, vocals, percussion
- Kerry Minnear
Kerry Minnear is a classically trained multi-instrumentalist who played in the innovative progressive rock band Gentle Giant during the 1970s....
– keyboards, cello, vibes, tenor recorder, vocals, percussion
- Derek Shulman
Derek Shulman is a British musician and singer, multi-instrumentalist, and record executive...
– vocals, alto sax, descant recorder, bass, percussion
- Ray Shulman
Raymond Shulman is a British musician, and the youngest of three brothers in progressive rock band, Gentle Giant.Born in Portsmouth, Shulman's father was a trumpet player in a jazz band, and that was the first instrument he learned to play...
– bass, violin, acoustic guitar, descant recorder, trumpet, vocals, percussion
- John Weathers
John Patrick 'Pugwash' Weathers is a drummer, best known for playing with the innovative progressive rock band Gentle Giant.-Early life:...
– drums, vibes, tambourine, vocals, percussion
There are no official instrument credits listed on the album.
||US Billboard 200
The Billboard 200 is a ranking of the 200 highest-selling music albums and EPs in the United States, published weekly by Billboard magazine. It is frequently used to convey the popularity of an artist or groups of artists...
- 1977, UK, Chrysalis Records CTY 1133, Release Date 28 January 1977, LP
- 1977, US, Capitol Records SKBB-11592, Release date 18 January 1977, LP
- 1994, UK, Terrapin Trucking RGOF Cat# RGF CD 1009, Release Date ? ? 1994, CD (Re-Master)
- 2004, UK, BGO BGOCD435, Release Date 12 July 2004, CD (2 x CD with Civilian)
- 2005, UK, DRT Entertainment/Pinnacle RTE354, Release Date 10 October 2005, CD (35th Anniversary Enhanced Re-Master)