Ask a question about 'Maribojoc, Bohol'
Start a new discussion about 'Maribojoc, Bohol'
Answer questions from other users
is a 4th class municipality in the province of Bohol
Bohol is an island province of the Philippines located in the Central Visayas region, consisting of Bohol Island and 75 minor surrounding islands. Its capital is Tagbilaran City. With a land area of and a coastline long, Bohol is the tenth largest island of the Philippines...
The Philippines , officially known as the Republic of the Philippines , is a country in Southeast Asia in the western Pacific Ocean. To its north across the Luzon Strait lies Taiwan. West across the South China Sea sits Vietnam...
. According to the 2007 census, it has a population of 18,113 people.
The town has a land area of 53.31 square kilometres (20.6 sq mi). The primary language spoken is Boholano
Boholano is a variant of Cebuano spoken in the province of Bohol in the Philippines and eastern parts of Southern Leyte...
, though English
English is a West Germanic language that arose in the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms of England and spread into what was to become south-east Scotland under the influence of the Anglian medieval kingdom of Northumbria...
Tagalog is an Austronesian language spoken as a first language by a third of the population of the Philippines and as a second language by most of the rest. It is the first language of the Philippine region IV and of Metro Manila...
are also spoken and understood. Fishing and agriculture are the two main sources of livelihood.
Maribojoc was a fishing village when the Jesuit priests Juan de Torres and Gabriel Sanchez landed in Baclayon in 1595 bringing the cross for the first time in Maribojoc. Fr. Francisco Colin, an early Jesuit historian, listed the town's name as Malabooch and later changed it to Malabohoc. How it became Maribojoc is not known. During the pre-Spanish era, the town's name was "Dunggoan", derived from the old port located at the shore of the famous bay where sailors used to land and engage business with the early settlers.
The Maribojoc parish, officially known as "Parroquía de Santa Cruz", was founded in 1767 when the Jesuits left Maribojoc. Maribojoc was one of the nine big villages founded by the Augustinian Recollect friars when they took over in 1768. It was during the time of the Recollects that the foundation of the Maribojoc church was laid in 1798 on what was once a swampy land and was finished in 1816, after 18 years of work. At the back of the church is a flight of stone stairs built in 1864. Earlier, in 1796, the Punta Cruz watchtower was built as a lookout against marauding pirates. The town of Maribojoc was officially organized on October 15, 1860.
Maribojoc is politically subdivided into 22 barangay
A barangay is the smallest administrative division in the Philippines and is the native Filipino term for a village, district or ward...
s. Punsod was elevated into a barrio in 1956.
- San Roque (Aghao)
- Punta Cruz
- San Isidro
- San Vicente