Ask a question about 'List of tool-lending libraries'
Start a new discussion about 'List of tool-lending libraries'
Answer questions from other users
The following tool-lending libraries
allow library patrons to borrow tools, equipment and "how-to" instructional materials, usually free of charge.
A tool lending library was started in Columbus, OH in 1976. Originally run by the City, the Tool Library is now operated by Rebuilding Together Central Ohio, a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization that works to preserve and revitalize homes and communities in Central Ohio. The RTCO Tool Library makes available over 4,500 tools free of charge to both individuals and non-profit organizations. One of the first tool libraries was the Berkeley Tool Lending Library
The Berkeley Public Library is the public library system for Berkeley, California. It consists of the Central Branch, the North Branch, Claremont Branch, South Branch, and West Branch.-History:...
, which started in 1979 with a $30,000 community block grant.
A variation of the tool lending library model exists in Atlanta, Georgia
Atlanta is the capital and most populous city in the U.S. state of Georgia. According to the 2010 census, Atlanta's population is 420,003. Atlanta is the cultural and economic center of the Atlanta metropolitan area, which is home to 5,268,860 people and is the ninth largest metropolitan area in...
. At the Atlanta Community ToolBank
ToolBank is a registered term used to identify the nonprofit tool lending program model created by the . A ToolBank amplifies the impact of its local charitable sector by lending tools to organizations for use in volunteer service projects and facility maintenance/repair projects...
, the tools are reserved for use by nonprofit and other community-based organizations who are performing volunteer and facility maintenance projects. The ToolBank tool inventory is not available to individuals. Most recently, the community of West Seattle in Washington started the West Seattle Tool Library, which will provide a wide variety of tools and resources for individuals and organizations while specifically encouraging sustainable urban living.
- Melbourne, Victoria Maribyrnong City Council / Braybrook Community Centre's Tool Library - Woodwork facilities can be hired for classes and activities.
- Ottawa - Ottawa Public Library - pedometers, energy meters
- Calgary, Alberta - Calgary Public Library - Energy meters
- Vancouver - Vancouver Tool Library: home repair, gardening/landscaping, and bike maintenance tools
- Berkeley - Berkeley Public Library's Tool Lending Library
- Oakland - Oakland Public Library's Temescal Tool Lending Library
- San Francisco - San Francisco Tool Lending Center (currently closed to the public, but check for updates)
- Santa Clara - Silicon Valley Power Tool Lending Library (energy-related only)
- Sonoma County (Santa Rosa) - Santa Rosa Tool Library
- Loma Linda - Loma Linda Redevelopment Agency's Tool Lending Library
- Cedar Rapids - Matthew 25 Tool Library
- Dubuque - Washington Tool Library 345 E 18th Street
- Des Moines - Neighborhood Finance Corporation Tool Lending Library
- Wichita - Community Housing Services of Wichita/Sedgwick County's Tool Lending Library
- New Orleans - HandsOn New Orleans Tool Lending Library, 1204 S. White St.
The Takoma Park Tool Library is no longer in business.
The City of Takoma Park closed it down in 2007 due to poor utilization.
- Ann Arbor - Ann Arbor District Library (energy meter only)
- Grosse Pointe - Grosse Point Public Library and the Grosse Point Rotary Club's Tool Library
- Kansas City - Westside Housing Organization's Tool Lending Library
- Springfield - Urban Neighborhood Alliance - ToolBox
- Missoula - Missoula Urban Demonstration Project (MUD) Tool Library
- Santa Fe Habitat for Humanity ReStore Tool Lending Library
- Buffalo - Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy's Tool Lending Library
- Buffalo - PUSH Buffalo and Buffalo ReUSE's Tool Library
- Buffalo - University Heights Tool Library
- Rochester - Corn Hill Neighbors Association's Tool Library
- Manhattan - SeaportTools.org Tool Lending Library
- Central Ohio - Rebuilding Together Central Ohio Tool Library
- Orem - City of Orem Tool Lending Library
- Seattle - Phinney Neighborhood Association's Tool Lending Library