Copenhagen Business School
, also known as CBS, is situated in Copenhagen
Copenhagen is the capital and largest city of Denmark, with an urban population of 1,199,224 and a metropolitan population of 1,930,260 . With the completion of the transnational Øresund Bridge in 2000, Copenhagen has become the centre of the increasingly integrating Øresund Region...
Denmark is a Scandinavian country in Northern Europe. The countries of Denmark and Greenland, as well as the Faroe Islands, constitute the Kingdom of Denmark . It is the southernmost of the Nordic countries, southwest of Sweden and south of Norway, and bordered to the south by Germany. Denmark...
. With more than 17,000 students and 1,300 staff members, CBS is also one of the largest business schools in Europe. CBS offers a wide range of business-oriented university programmes and a research environment. CBS graduates find employment in both the private and the public sector.
CBS's most senior executive is the President who is appointed by a Governing Board composed of a majority of external members.
CBS was established in 1917 by the Danish Society for the Advancement of Business Education (now known as FUHU), which is a private educational institution. In 1965 the business school became integrated as an institution of higher education in the Danish education system. Today it is regulated by the Danish Universities Act of 2003.
CBS offers a range of university degrees in business economics and modern languages for international business communication in Denmark.
B.Sc. International Business and Politics
Due to globalization, relationships between business, governments and international institutions are becoming increasingly more important and therefore strong skills in analyzing these relationships have become essential. The Business and Politics
programme is a unique combination of economics, finance, management and political science.
B.Sc. IBP is one of the bachelor degrees in Denmark with the highest GPA entrance requirement and each year it attracts an increased number of both Danish and international students. It is the only degree in Denmark with the described academic disciplinary combination.
The courses are focused around various aspects of economics and finance, business and management as well as international political economy disciplines. The political science dimension adds to the curriculum theoretical debates on democracy, power, political decision-making etc. preparing the students to analyze political processes in national and international organizations and political systems.
B.Sc. International Business
The International Business programme has several courses in basic business education. The three main course categories are: methods, economics, and managerial economics. While this categorization is also true of most of CBS’ programmes, there are several aspects, which are different from the other bachelor programmes.
The student union, CBS Students, is an open organization that gives the students at CBS a place to meet and a forum for activities. Furthermore, the organization provides the opportunity to take part in ambitious and exciting tasks in co-operation with other students. CBS Students create a union and a network across different programs at CBS that students can benefit from for the rest of their lives. It tries to influence the academic policies at CBS.
360˚ Students for Sustainability
360˚ - Students for Sustainability is a student organization at CBS that encourages and enables students to meet and share knowledge about issues wihtin the broad spectrum of sustainability. Here, certain topics are chosen as focal points for the ongoing projects and activities in the organization in order to put classic as well as less known issues of sustainability into new perspective.
AIESEC CBS is a part of the world’s largest student-lead organisation AIESEC. It focuses on providing a platform for leadership development as well as gaining experience and skills which are relevant today and in tomorrow’s business world. AIESEC is a service-based organisation and its core service is to facilitate internships for students in Denmark to go abroad and help students from abroad find internships in Denmark. The purpose behind AIESEC's service is to break down cultural barriers and create culturally aware managers for tomorrow’s business world.
For masters and bachelor students enrolled in the International Business and Politics programme at Copenhagen Business School the student organization IBP Union has been established in the attempt to further the integration of people studying IBP through social and academic activities.
CBS Sport is an independent sports organization belonging to CBS. Established in 2006, CBS Sport currently has 12 sports:
- Basketball (men and women)
- Floorball (men and women)
- Football (men and women)
- Handball (men and women)
- Horseback Riding
- Rugby (men and women)
- Volleyball (Mixed)
CBS is an urban university primarily located in four modern buildings in Frederiksberg, close to the heart of Copenhagen. Both the main complex at Solbjerg Plads, the architecturally acclaimed building by architect Henning Larsen at Dalgas Have and Kilen (the Wedge), which was inaugurated in the beginning of 2006, reflect the characteristic Scandinavian style. CBS has also rebuilt parts of the former Royal Copenhagen porcelain factory, and all parts of CBS Campus are within walking distance. CBS offers accommodation for international students and visiting professors.
Student facilities include multimedia labs, interpretation labs, break-out rooms for group and project work, personal computers and Learning Resource Center. Computers are replaced with new models at least every third year. Plugs for portable laptops are readily available, and wireless connections are installed in the main buildings.
Alan Irwin, Acting President 2011-
Johan Roos (2009-2011)
Finn Junge-Jensen (1987-2009)
Frode Slipsager (1979-1987)
Lauge Stetting (1978-1979)
Carl E. Sørensen (1975-1978)
Jan Kobbernagel (1963-1975)
Poul Winding (1957-1963)
Christen Møller, Director (1938-1957)
Marius Vibæk, Director (1917-1938)
CBS conducts research activities in:
- The internal relations of enterprises (organisation, management and production)
- The relations between enterprises and their surroundings (consumers, enterprises and investors)
- The social context of enter prises (politics and culture, law and economics)
- Linguistics and modern languages with a specific focus on business communication and LSP, i.e. translation/ interpreting, terminology, lexicography
- Computational linguistics
- Cultural and area studies with a specific focus on European Studies, Asian Studies and the Study of the Americas
- Financial Risk Management
- Center for Strategic Management and Globalization
- Open Innovation
- Sources of National Institutional Competitiveness
- Design and Governance of Economic Institutions
- Translation Processes and Translation Systems.
- Department of Accounting and Auditing
- Department of Economics
- Department of Finance
- Department of IT Managment
- Department of Innovation and Organizational Economics
- Department of Intercultural Communication and Management
- Department of International Culture and Communication Studies
- Department of International Economics and Management
- Department of International Language Studies and Computational Linguistics
- Department of Management, Politics and Philosophy
- Department of Marketing
- Department of Operations Management
- Department of Organization
- Law Department
- Asia Research Centre
- CAMS Copenhagen
- CBS Center for Corporate Social Responsibility
- CBS Learning Lab
- Center for Applied Information and Communication Technology
- Center for Applied Market Science
- Centre for Art and Leadership
- Centre for Business and Development Studies
- Centre for Business Marketing and Purchasing
- Centre for Business Development and Management
- Center for Business History
- Center for Corporate Governance
- Centre for Economic and Business Research
- Centre for Financial Law
- Center for Health Management
- Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Centre for Language, Cognition and Mentality
- Center for Law, Economics & Financial Institutions
- Center for Management Studies of the Building Process
- Center of Market Economics
- Center for Marketing Communication
- CBS Centre for Negotiation
- Centre for School Leadership
- Center for Research and Innovation in Translation and Translation Technology
- Center for Shipping Economics and Innovation
- Center for Statistics
- Center for Strategic Management and Globalization
- Center for the Study of the Americas
- Centre for the Study of Europe
- Center for Tourism and Culture Management
- Copenhagen Business Confucius Institute
- Copenhagen Consensus Center
- Danish Research Unit for Industrial Dynamics
- imagine.. Creative Industries Research
- International Center for Business and Politics
- The Language Center
- Research Centre on Biotech Business
- Research Center, Management, Organization and Competence
CBS offers a range of university degrees in business economics and modern languages for international business communication in Denmark. The selection of full-time programmes complies with the three levels:
- 3-year Bachelor
- 2-year Master
- 3-year PhD
As of September 2009, two of Denmark’s new Elite Master programmes for top qualified foreign and Danish students are offered at CBS: The Master in Advanced Economics and Finance and the interdisciplinary Master Programme in International Law, Economics and Management (ILECMA) which is offered in partnership with the University of Copenhagen
The University of Copenhagen is the oldest and largest university and research institution in Denmark. Founded in 1479, it has more than 37,000 students, the majority of whom are female , and more than 7,000 employees. The university has several campuses located in and around Copenhagen, with the...
Furthermore, CBS offers part-time programmes:
- Executive Master Programmes
- Graduate Diploma Programmes and short courses
CBS is the Danish member of CEMS - Global Alliance in Management Education and a member of Partnership in International Management (PIM), and focuses on double degree agreements with other top business schools. CBS has exchange and cooperation agreements with 390 universities and business schools around the world, half of which are European. 43% of CBS programmes are taught in English and CBS offer approximately 200 separate courses taught in English.
MBA and EMBA
Copenhagen Business School (CBS)
has earned AACSB Accreditation in 2011 and now becomes the first Business School in Denmark to earn a Triple accreditation. CBS has been awarded accreditation by EQUIS since 2000 and by AMBA since 2007.
CBS' MBA study program was ranked #37 in Europe in the 2008 Financial Times ranking; its EMBA program was ranked #26 in Europe in the same ranking.
The French Eduniversal ranking for 2010
puts Copenhagen Business School at #3 in the world, behind Harvard Business School
Harvard Business School is the graduate business school of Harvard University in Boston, Massachusetts, United States and is widely recognized as one of the top business schools in the world. The school offers the world's largest full-time MBA program, doctoral programs, and many executive...
and London Business School
London Business School is an international business school and a constituent college of the federal University of London, located in central London, beside Regent's Park...
The Financial Times is an international business newspaper. It is a morning daily newspaper published in London and printed in 24 cities around the world. Its primary rival is the Wall Street Journal, published in New York City....
- CBS (Europe) 23 (2010)
- EMBA (World) 58
- EMBA (Europe) 18
- Master’s in Management 22
- CEMS MIM 1
Wall Street Journal:
Eduniversal is a French consulting company and a rating agency specialized in Higher Education. Founded in 1994, one of the main goals of Eduniversal is to provide a tool, for students all around the world, which provides information on the Best Business Schools, located in Eduniversal's 9...
Aspen Institute ”Beyond Grey Pinstripes”:
- Full-time MBA (Europe) 9
- Full- time MBA (World) 63
Financial times MSc-ranking
- Bjørn Lomborg
Bjørn Lomborg is a Danish author, academic, and environmental writer. He is an adjunct professor at the Copenhagen Business School, director of the Copenhagen Consensus Centre and a former director of the Environmental Assessment Institute in Copenhagen...
- Copenhagen Consensus Centre
- Offshoring Research Network
The Offshoring Research Network is an international network of researchers and practitioners studying organizations in their transition to globalizing their business functions, processes and administrative services...
- List of business schools in Europe