Ask a question about 'Bradford Adolphus Street railway station'
Start a new discussion about 'Bradford Adolphus Street railway station'
Answer questions from other users
Bradford Adolphus Street railway station
is a closed station in the city of Bradford
Bradford lies at the heart of the City of Bradford, a metropolitan borough of West Yorkshire, in Northern England. It is situated in the foothills of the Pennines, west of Leeds, and northwest of Wakefield. Bradford became a municipal borough in 1847, and received its charter as a city in 1897...
, West Yorkshire
West Yorkshire is a metropolitan county within the Yorkshire and the Humber region of England with a population of 2.2 million. West Yorkshire came into existence as a metropolitan county in 1974 after the passage of the Local Government Act 1972....
England is a country that is part of the United Kingdom. It shares land borders with Scotland to the north and Wales to the west; the Irish Sea is to the north west, the Celtic Sea to the south west, with the North Sea to the east and the English Channel to the south separating it from continental...
When the Leeds, Bradford and Halifax Junction Railway (later absorbed by the Great Northern) arrived in Bradford they initially built a terminus at Adolphus Street. This was poorly situated, so a link line was built from east of the terminus looping south and joining the existing Lancashire and Yorkshire line at Mill. Lane junction, allowing LB & HJ services to enter Bradford Exchange station. The station was closed to passengers in 1867 as a result, and was closed completely in the 1960s and subsequently demolished.