is an American urban fantasy
Urban fantasy is a sub-genre of fantasy defined by place; the fantastic narrative has an urban setting. Many urban fantasies are set in contemporary times and contain supernatural elements. However, the stories can take place in historical, modern, or futuristic periods...
author. He is under contract for four books in his "Simon Canderous" series, the first of which, Dead to Me,
was published by Ace Books
Ace Books is the oldest active specialty publisher of science fiction and fantasy books. The company was founded in New York City in 1952 by Aaron A. Wyn, and began as a genre publisher of mysteries and westerns...
in 2008. Tim Davis, reviewing that title for Bookloons.com, wrote, "Fans of urban fantasy should especially enjoy Strout's engaging new protagonist and will, no doubt, look forward to Simon Canderous making a quick return in further adventures." The second novel, Deader Still,
was published in 2009. The third book, Dead Matter
was published in 2010 and the fourth, Dead Waters
was published in 2011.
Anton Strout was born January 24, 1970 in the Berkshires. He graduated from Wahconah Regional High School
Wahconah Regional High School is a high school in Dalton, Massachusetts and is part of the Central Berkshire Regional School District. The school opened in 1961.-History:...
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts is a state in the New England region of the northeastern United States of America. It is bordered by Rhode Island and Connecticut to the south, New York to the west, and Vermont and New Hampshire to the north; at its east lies the Atlantic Ocean. As of the 2010...
before majoring in English/Communications and Theater at Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts
The Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts is a public, residential, liberal arts college that offers both undergraduate and graduate programs. Located in North Adams, Massachusetts, it is part of the state university system of Massachusetts. It is a member of the Council of Public Liberal Arts...
, from which he graduated in 1993.
In addition to his novels, Strout has written several short stories and maintains both his own blog and participates at the group urban fantasy blog, League of Reluctant Adults
. His faux musical, Sneezin' Jeff & Blue Raccoon: The Loose Gravel Tour,
for which Strout was co-creator, won the Best Storytelling Award at the First Annual New York International Fringe Festival.
Simon Canderous series
- Dead to Me (2008)
- Deader Still (2009)
- Dead Matter (2010)
- Dead Waters (2011)
- "Hooked" in the March 2012 anthology The Modern Fae's Guide to Surviving Humanity
- "Lowstone" in the February 2012 anthology Westward Weird
- "Tumulus" in the December 2011 anthology Human For A Day
- "Izdu-Bar" in the 2011 anthology After Hours: Tales From The Ur-Bar
- "Marfa" in the 2011 anthology Boondocks Fantasy
- "Lupercalia" in the 2010 anthology The Girls' Guide to Guns & Monsters
- "Stannis" in the 2010 anthology Spells of the City (Note: This story was the basis for the 2012 publication of Alchemystic: Book One of the Spellmason Chronicles)
- "for lizzie" in the 2009 anthology Zombie Raccoons & Killer Bunnies (part of the Simon Canderous series universe)
- "The Fourteenth Virtue", in the 2008 anthologyThe Dimension Next Door (part of the Simon Canderous series universe)
- "Lady In Red", in the 2007 anthology Pandora's Closet
- Anton Strout's official website
- Anton Strout's official MySpace
Myspace is a social networking service owned by Specific Media LLC and pop star Justin Timberlake. Myspace launched in August 2003 and is headquartered in Beverly Hills, California. In August 2011, Myspace had 33.1 million unique U.S. visitors....