Ask a question about 'Victualler'
Start a new discussion about 'Victualler'
Answer questions from other users
Full Discussion Forum
A victualler is traditionally a person who sells food or other provisions, similar to a grocer
A grocer is a bulk seller of food. Beginning as early as the 14th century, a grocer was a dealer in comestible dry goods such as spices, pepper, sugar, and cocoa, tea and coffee...

, and in particular British
British English
British English, or English , is the broad term used to distinguish the forms of the English language used in the United Kingdom from forms used elsewhere...

 usage can be used to mean a person licensed to sell alcoholic beverage
Alcoholic beverage
An alcoholic beverage is a drink containing ethanol, commonly known as alcohol. Alcoholic beverages are divided into three general classes: beers, wines, and spirits. They are legally consumed in most countries, and over 100 countries have laws regulating their production, sale, and consumption...


There are a number of other more particular uses of the term, such as:
  • The official supplier of food to the Royal Navy
    Royal Navy
    The Royal Navy is the naval warfare service branch of the British Armed Forces. Founded in the 16th century, it is the oldest service branch and is known as the Senior Service...

     in the 18th and 19th century was the Victualling Board
    Victualling Commissioners
    The Commissioners for the victualling of the Navy, often called Victualling Commissioners, were the body responsible under the Navy Board for victualling ships of the British Royal Navy.-Creation:...

    . A victualler was a supply ship at the time.
  • An alternative term for a sutler
    A sutler or victualer is a civilian merchant who sells provisions to an army in the field, in camp or in quarters. The sutler sold wares from the back of a wagon or a temporary tent, allowing them to travel along with an army or to remote military outposts...

    , a person who sells provisions to an army.
  • A licensed victualler, a formal name for a the landlord of a public house or similar licensed establishment.