Ask a question about 'Staple railway station'
Start a new discussion about 'Staple railway station'
Answer questions from other users
Staple railway station
was a station on the East Kent Light Railway
The East Kent Light Railway was part of the Colonel Stephens group of cheaply built rural light railways in England. Holman Fred Stephens was engineer from its inception, subsequently becoming director and manager...
in southeast England, serving the village of Staple
Staple is a small village and civil parish in east Kent. It lies southwest of the nearby village of Ash and the town of Sandwichand east of Canterbury.-History:...
. It was located north of the village, on the west side of the road to Durlock, where it crosses over the Wingham River at Durlock Bridge.
The station site is now occupied by a farm.
The station opened on 16 October 1916 and closed to passenger traffic on 30 October 1948. There was a windpump
A windpump is a windmill used for pumping water, either as a source of fresh water from wells, or for draining low-lying areas of land. Once a common fixture on farms in semi-arid areas, windpumps are still used today where electric power is not available or too expensive.-History:Windmills were...
supplying the water tower, a passing loop and four sidings. During World War Two, a large munitions dump was set up at Staple and a large calibre rail mounted gun stabled there. The windpump was demolished in June 1950.