Ask a question about 'South Sioux Falls, South Dakota'
Start a new discussion about 'South Sioux Falls, South Dakota'
Answer questions from other users
South Sioux Falls
was an incorporated community located in south-central Minnehaha County
As of the census of 2000, there were 148,281 people, 57,996 households, and 37,581 families residing in the county. The population density was 183 people per square mile . There were 60,237 housing units at an average density of 74 per square mile...
, South Dakota
South Dakota is a state located in the Midwestern region of the United States. It is named after the Lakota and Dakota Sioux American Indian tribes. Once a part of Dakota Territory, South Dakota became a state on November 2, 1889. The state has an area of and an estimated population of just over...
, United States
The United States of America is a federal constitutional republic comprising fifty states and a federal district...
until 1955. The community was centered in present day Sioux Falls alongside the Minnesota Ave. exit of Interstate 229
Interstate 229 in South Dakota runs just more than ten miles mostly within the city limits of Sioux Falls, the largest city in the state. It runs from Interstate 29 to Interstate 90...
, stretching from 33rd to street in the north, to 57th street in the south 43°30′41"N 96°43′46"W (43.301224, -96.284209). Its "main street" was Minnesota Ave. (South Dakota Highway 115).
South Sioux Falls was founded in the spring of 1888, when Richard F. Pettigrew
Richard Franklin Pettigrew was an American lawyer, surveyor, and land developer. He represented the Dakota Territory in the U.S. Congress and, after the Dakotas were admitted as States, he was the first U.S. Senator from South Dakota.-Biography:Pettigrew was born in Ludlow, Windsor County,...
and S. L. Tate donated 4 acres (16,187.4 m²) of land for the Norwegian Lutheran Normal School, now Augustana College
Augustana College is a private, liberal arts college affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America located in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States. The campus makes the school the largest private university in South Dakota...
. By February 20, 1890 South Sioux Falls incorporated by a 63-0 vote. Pettigrew wanted to build a suburb of Sioux Falls to the south and west. Once nearly covering 1800 acres (7.3 km²), South Sioux Falls once boasted a woolen mill, soap factory, an axle grease factory, a six story factory plant and Sioux Falls' first airport Soo Skyways. City hall was located at the corner of 41st Street and Covell Avenue. In the 1950 census the city was estimated to have a population of nearly 1,600, making it the third largest city in the county after Sioux Falls and Dell Rapids. On October 18, 1955 South Sioux Falls residents voted 704-227 to consolidate with Sioux Falls. Sioux Falls residents then voted on the same issue on November 15, 1955 by a vote of 2,714 in favor and 450 against.