Ask a question about 'Skinny Minnie'
Start a new discussion about 'Skinny Minnie'
Answer questions from other users
is a 1958 song co-written and recorded by Bill Haley
Bill Haley was one of the first American rock and roll musicians. He is credited by many with first popularizing this form of music in the early 1950s with his group Bill Haley & His Comets and their hit song "Rock Around the Clock".-Early life and career:...
and The Comets. The song was released as a Decca single which became a Top 40 chart hit in the U.S.
"Skinny Minnie" was composed by Bill Haley with Milt Gabler
Milton Gabler was an American record producer, responsible for many innovations in the recording industry of the 20th century.-Early life:...
, Rusty Keefer, and Catherine Cafra. The song was released as a Decca single, 9-30592, backed with "Sway With Me", reaching no. 22 on the Billboard
Billboard is a weekly American magazine devoted to the music industry, and is one of the oldest trade magazines in the world. It maintains several internationally recognized music charts that track the most popular songs and albums in various categories on a weekly basis...
chart and no. 25 on the Cash Box chart. The song was featured on the 1958 Decca album Bill Haley's Chicks
Bill Haley's Chicks was the eighth album of rock and roll recordings by Bill Haley & His Comets for Decca Records, Decca 8821. Released in January 1959 and produced by Milt Gabler, the album was the third "theme" album Haley recorded for Decca, following Rockin' the Oldies and Rockin' Around the...
. The song became a rock and roll standard which was covered by scores of bands and singers.
Cover versions of "Skinny Minnie"
- Carter-Lewis and the Southerners
Carter-Lewis and the Southerners were an early-1960s rock band formed by the Birmingham-born musicians Ken Lewis and John Carter .Carter and Lewis were initially songwriters...
(featuring Jimmy Page
James Patrick "Jimmy" Page, OBE is an English multi-instrumentalist, songwriter, and record producer. He began his career as a studio session guitarist in London and was subsequently a member of The Yardbirds from 1966 to 1968, after which he founded the English rock band Led Zeppelin.Jimmy Page...
on lead guitar), March 27, 1964, Oriole CB 1919, 45 single b/w "Easy to Cry"; Your Time Is Gonna Come: The Roots of Led Zeppelin, 1964-1969 album, 2007
- Tony Sheridan
Tony Sheridan , is an English rock and roll singer-songwriter and guitarist...
and the Beat Brothers, Polydor, 1964 45 single, Polydor NH52927, b/w "You'd Better Move On"; My Bonnie
My Bonnie is the name of a 1961 single, a 1962 album and a 1963 EP by Tony Sheridan and The Beat Brothers, better known as The Beatles.-History:...
album, Polydor, 1962; Vagabond, 2002, Bear Family; The Beatles: Ain't She Sweet album, Polygram, 2002
- Gerry and the Pacemakers, June, 1965, Laurie 45 single, b/w "It's Gonna Be Alright"; A side reached #23 on the Billboard Hot 100 ; I'll Be There U.S. album; The Best of the EMI Years (2008)
- Beat Chics (featuring Jimmy Page on lead guitar), November 6, 1964, Decca F 12016, b/w "Now I Know", 45 single
- Goldie & the Gingerbreads
Goldie & the Gingerbreads was an all-female American rock band from 1962 to 1967 consisting of 3 musicians and a singer. They were the first all-female rock band signed to a major record label....
, A side 45 single, Spokane 45-4005, "Skinny Vinnie"
- Wayne Fontana & the Mindbenders, 1965, It's Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders album, Fontana
- Jimmy and the Rackets, 1964, Elite Special 9427-45, b/w "O Mona Lisa", 45 single, #1 on the German charts in 1964, 32 weeks on the charts
- The Rollicks, also known as The Shouters, The Rollicks, Bear Family BCD 16478 AR, 1990
- Jerry Williams, 1965, Sonet LP, Mr. Dynamite Explodes Again!, Grand Prix album Rock & Roll Time, 1968, EP
- The Sonics
The Sonics are an American garage rock band from Tacoma, Washington, originating from the early and mid-1960s. Among The Sonics' contemporaries were The Kingsmen, The Wailers, The Dynamics, The Regents, and Paul Revere & the Raiders...
, on 1966 album Boom
- The Rubins, also known as The Five Rubins, live, 1964
- The Mummies
The Mummies are an American garage punk band from San Mateo, California formed in 1988.-Showmanship:Originally hailing from San Mateo, California, the band was formed by Trent Ruane , Maz Kattuah , Larry Winther and Russell Quan . They became a key part of San Francisco's burgeoning garage punk...
, 1990, Rekkids; Never Been Caught album, Telstar, 2002. Rekkids 1991 45 single, 162.
- Bryan Davies, Australian 45 single b/w "I Should Have Stayed in Bed", HMV, April, 1965; Barry Gibb
Barry Alan Crompton Gibb, CBE , is a singer, songwriter and producer. He was born in the Isle of Man to English parents. With his brothers Robin and Maurice, he formed The Bee Gees, one of the most successful pop groups of all time. The trio got their start in Australia, and found their major...
of The Bee Gees wrote and sang backing and harmony vocals on "I Should Have Stayed in Bed"
- Lee Curtis and the All-Stars, Liverpool rock group, 1964
- Louis Prima
Louis Prima was a Sicilian American singer, actor, songwriter, and trumpeter. Prima rode the musical trends of his time, starting with his seven-piece New Orleans style jazz band in the 1920s, then successively leading a swing combo in the 1930s, a big band in the 1940s, a Vegas lounge act in the...
, Keely Smith
Keely Smith is an American jazz and popular music singer who enjoyed popularity in the 1950s and 1960s. She collaborated with, among others, Louis Prima and Frank Sinatra.-Career:...
, Sam Butera
Sam Butera was a tenor saxophone player best noted for his collaborations with Louis Prima and Keely Smith. Butera is frequently regarded as a crossover artist who performed with equal ease in both R & B and the post-big band pop style of jazz that permeated the early Vegas nightclub...
, and The Witnesses, The Capitol Recordings; The EP Collection, 2000. Sam Butera released the song as a 1964 45 single, PR 1003-B, on Prima with "Music by Louis Prima & The Witnesses". The label has incorrect songwriting credits. The song appears on the 1961 Capitol album, 1677, The Continental Twist.
- The Lyres, 1987, Early Years Live, 1979-1983, Crypt, 1997
- Snooks Eaglin
Snooks Eaglin, born Fird Eaglin, Jr. , was a New Orleans-based guitarist and singer. He was also referred to as Blind Snooks Eaglin in his early years....
, 1995, Soul's Edge album on Black Top
- The Lions, 1964, 45 single b/w "Sticks and Stones", TD 246; Hit House Shake, King Beat, 1989
- Peter Briggs & The Vikings, 45 single, Go!!, G-5021-B, 1966.
- Sten & Stanley, 1965, Decca 45, Decca F 44503, b/w "Goldfinger"
- The Watusi (band)
Watusi is a popular Reggae/Worldbeat band formed in Dallas, TX in 1982 by Jimi Towry and a Rwandan native, Ruta Gengwa. Pioneers of the "Worldbeat" mix of Reggae, soca, Afrikan, Latin, funk and jazz styles, they have spread their music all over the world....
- Albert West, 1988, West & Friends album, Arcade 01 3290 61
- Jumpin' Gene Simmons
Jumpin' Gene Simmons was an American rockabilly singer and songwriter known best for his 1964 novelty single "Haunted House."-Biography:...
, Sun rockabilly singer, 1965, 45 single b/w "I'm A Ramblin' Man", HI 45-2086; Haunted House: The Complete Jumpin' Gene Simmons on Hi Records
- Ray Brown & The Whispers
. For other uses of Whispers, see Whispers page.Ray Brown & The Whispers were a highly successful Australian rock band from 1964 to 1967...
, Australian rock group,1964, Ray Brown & The Whispers album, Leedon LL-31646
- The Liverpool 5, as The 5 Liverpools, 45 single b/w "Tokio", 1964, CBS 1623; Tokio International album, CBS 62460, 1965
- The Rocking Ghosts, Danish rock band, The Rocking Ghosts album, Metronome MLP 15166, 1964
- The Shanes, Swedish rock group, The Shanes, Rock-In-Beat, 2000
- Johnnie Cliff Five, Die Hamburg Szene, 2001
- Alan Dale, Raven RVLP15, 1963; Alan Dale and The Houserockers: The Early Masters
- Bill Haley's Comets, Rock and Roll Survivors Featuring Al Rappa and Joey Welz
- The Tigers, Legend of The Tigers: Rare and Unreleased Tracks, 2003; The Tigers on Stage, 1967
- The Team Beats, Smash! Boom! Bang!, Bear Family BCD 16466, 2001
- Ricky King, Rock `n` Roll Party, Epic 26158, 1984
- Larry Donn, That's What I Call a Ball, 2003, Collector/Wht
- Bill Blaine and The Dynamics, Western Australian Snake Pit Rock 'N' Roll, Vol. 1, 2004; The Rockin' Years
- Bill Haley Orchestra, 2008, Let the Good Times Roll album, CultSound
- Jesse Robin
- Lattie Moore and The Emporers, "Skinny Minnie Shimmy" b/w "You Got Me Woundering". RKR 100-200, Olimpic Records Ohio, 1962.
- Miki Volek and Olympic
- The Blue Cats
- The Hillbilly Voodoo Dolls
- The Zettlers, A side 45 single, Swe Disc SWES 1105, Sweden, 1965