Ask a question about 'SQLyog'
Start a new discussion about 'SQLyog'
Answer questions from other users
is a GUI
In computing, a graphical user interface is a type of user interface that allows users to interact with electronic devices with images rather than text commands. GUIs can be used in computers, hand-held devices such as MP3 players, portable media players or gaming devices, household appliances and...
tool for the RDBMS MySQL
MySQL officially, but also commonly "My Sequel") is a relational database management system that runs as a server providing multi-user access to a number of databases. It is named after developer Michael Widenius' daughter, My...
. It is developed by Webyog, Inc. based out of Bangalore, India and Santa Clara, California
Santa Clara , founded in 1777 and incorporated in 1852, is a city in Santa Clara County, in the U.S. state of California. The city is the site of the eighth of 21 California missions, Mission Santa Clara de Asís, and was named after the mission. The Mission and Mission Gardens are located on the...
SQLyog v0.9 was first released to the public in 2001 as closed source free software after eight months of development. SQLyog was freely available until v3.0 when it was made commercial software. SQLyog is available in free as well as paid versions. The free version is known as Community Edition
and is available as an open source project at Google Code
Google Code is Google's site for developer tools, APIs and technical resources. The site contains documentation on using Google developer tools and APIs—including discussion groups and blogs for developers using Google's developer products....
. Paid version are sold as Professional
and Ultimate Editions
Prominent features of SQLyog are:
- Tabbed interface for connections. Connections can be given a color for identification.
- Editor with syntax highlighting and various automatic formatting options.
- Intelligent Code Completion.
- Data manipulations (INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE) may be done from a spreadsheet-like interface. Both raw table data and a result set from a query can be manipulated.
- Rich context menus etc. for performing common tasks without writing SQL.
- Visual Schema Designer.
- Visual Query Builder.
- Query Formatter.
- Connectivity options: Direct client/server using MySQL API (SSL supported), HTTP/HTTPs Tunneling, SSH Tunneling.
- Wizard driven Tool for import of data from ODBC-databases
- Backup Tool for performing unattended backups. Backups may be compressed and optionally stored as a file-per-table as well as identified with a timestamp.
- 'SQL Scheduler and Reporting Tool' - a tool for scheduling and automating execution of any sequence of SQL statements. Result of queries may be sent as HTML-formatted reports.
- Schema/Structure Synchronization and Data Synchronization.
- Query Profiler and Redundant Index Finder.
- All automated jobs have mail alerting and reporting options.
- Full character set/unicode support.
- Optionally portable. All files used by SQLyog may be saved to a removable drive etc.
- A 'Data Search' feature using a Google-type search syntax translated transparently for user to SQL.
- Form view to display one row at a time - a great way to enter/edit data.
- Foreign key lookup.
- Programmed and developed in C++ using Win32 API. No dependencies on runtimes (.NET, Java etc.).
- Uses MySQL C API to communicate with MySQL servers. No dependencies on 'database abstraction layer
A database abstraction layer is an application programming interface which unifies the communication between a computer application and databases such as SQL Server, DB2, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle or SQLite...
s' (like ODBC/JDBC).
- Uses Sqlite
SQLite is an ACID-compliant embedded relational database management system contained in a relatively small C programming library. The source code for SQLite is in the public domain and implements most of the SQL standard...
to store internal data like Grid settings. Consequently these settings are persistent across sessions on a per-table basis.
SQLyog works on the Windows
Microsoft Windows is a series of operating systems produced by Microsoft.Microsoft introduced an operating environment named Windows on November 20, 1985 as an add-on to MS-DOS in response to the growing interest in graphical user interfaces . Microsoft Windows came to dominate the world's personal...
platform starting from Windows XP
Windows XP is an operating system produced by Microsoft for use on personal computers, including home and business desktops, laptops and media centers. First released to computer manufacturers on August 24, 2001, it is the second most popular version of Windows, based on installed user base...
/Windows 2003 to Windows7/Server 2008(r2) (Windows 9x/ME support was removed in version 5.0 primarily because of lack of unicode support in those early Windows versions and Windows 2000 support stopped with version 8.6). It has also been made to work under Linux
Linux is a Unix-like computer operating system assembled under the model of free and open source software development and distribution. The defining component of any Linux system is the Linux kernel, an operating system kernel first released October 5, 1991 by Linus Torvalds...
Unix's (including Mac OS X) using the Wine
Wine is a free software application that aims to allow computer programs written for Microsoft Windows to run on Unix-like operating systems. Wine also provides a software library, known as Winelib, against which developers can compile Windows applications to help port them to Unix-like...
environment. Further a subset of SQLyog Enterprise/Ultimate functionalities are available with the free SJA (SQLyog Job Agent) for Linux as a native Linux utility. This makes it possible to specify and test 'scheduled jobs' on a Windows environment and port execution parameters seamlessly to a Linux environment.
Webyog provides priority support to customers primarily through a ticket based support system. Users of Community Edition can get support through Webyog Forums
which has more than 15000 registered users. Webyog also maintains an extensive FAQ
for most commonly asked questions.