Ask a question about 'Radio Rovers'
Start a new discussion about 'Radio Rovers'
Answer questions from other users
is the official radio station
Radio broadcasting is a one-way wireless transmission over radio waves intended to reach a wide audience. Stations can be linked in radio networks to broadcast a common radio format, either in broadcast syndication or simulcast or both...
of the English Premiership football side Blackburn Rovers FC. It was launched at Ewood park on 30 October 1993 and was the first dedicated football club radio station in the United Kingdom and remains the best, according to a June 2010 F.A survey.
The studio is located in the Darwen End one of the stands at Blackburns Ground Ewood Park
Ewood Park is a football stadium in the English town of Blackburn, Lancashire, and is the home of Blackburn Rovers Football Club — one of the founder members of the Football League and Premier League. Rovers have played there since they moved from Leamington Street in the summer of 1890. The...
. The station only airs on Blackburn match days..
The broadcast includes pre-match build up, music, team news, and manager comments before the match, full commentary during the match and post-match analysis, interviews, and viewer phone-ins after. The channel begins broadcasting 4 hours prior to kick off, and a typical day covers 7 hours on-air
The station broadcasts a 'free to air' service under an OFCOM RSL (restricted service license) on 1404 kHz am around Blackburn. It is available anywhere in the world via the club's official website rovers.co.uk - for which you pay an annual subscription and is also available for disabled fans inside the ground on match days.
Gerald Jackson, seen as the voice of Radio Rovers, is a long time presenter of the show. He is also a local radio presenter for BBC Radio Lancashire
BBC Radio Lancashire is the BBC Local Radio service for the county of Lancashire, in North West England. It began as BBC Radio Blackburn on 26 January 1971 on 96.4FM, then adding 854 kHz AM in 1972 and changing to its current name on 4 July 1981...