Ask a question about 'ROF Newport'
Start a new discussion about 'ROF Newport'
Answer questions from other users
was World War II
World War II, or the Second World War , was a global conflict lasting from 1939 to 1945, involving most of the world's nations—including all of the great powers—eventually forming two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis...
Royal Ordnance Factory
Royal Ordnance Factories was the collective name of the UK government's munitions factories in and after World War II. Until privatisation in 1987 they were the responsibility of the Ministry of Supply and later the Ministry of Defence....
that produced guns. Building started on a former allotment
An allotment garden, often called simply an allotment, is a plot of land made available for individual, non-professional gardening. Such plots are formed by subdividing a piece of land into a few or up to several hundreds of land parcels that are assigned to individuals or families...
site off Corporation Road, Newport
Newport is a city and unitary authority area in Wales. Standing on the banks of the River Usk, it is located about east of Cardiff and is the largest urban area within the historic county boundaries of Monmouthshire and the preserved county of Gwent...
in April 1940.
On 7 November 1940 the Factory was officially opened by Sir Charles Northrup McLaren, the Director General of Ordnance Factories. The first gun was manufactured in January 1941.
- By December 1943 10,000 guns had been made, including 6314 two-pounder anti-tank guns and 3686 Bofors
The name Bofors has been associated with the iron industry for more than 350 years.Located in Karlskoga, Sweden, the company originates from the hammer mill "Boofors" founded 1646. The modern corporate structure was created in 1873 with the foundation of Aktiebolaget Bofors-Gullspång...
anti-aircraft guns, as well as shell cases and spare parts, gun-barrels and couplings.
- By December 1944, the number of guns produced rose to 12,132. The maximum monthly output of the Factory was 722 guns in January 1943.