Plumptre Hospital
Encyclopedia
Plumptre Hospital was a charity in Nottingham
Nottingham
Nottingham is a city and unitary authority in the East Midlands of England. It is located in the ceremonial county of Nottinghamshire and represents one of eight members of the English Core Cities Group...

 providing almshouse accommodation for 599 years from 1392 to 1991.

History

John de Plumptre, Mayor of Nottingham, founded Plumptre Hospital in 1392. It was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary and supported two priests and "thirteen poor women broken down of age and depressed of poverty". It was endowed with 13 properties around the town.

In 1414 the number of widows was reduced to seven and he gave the hospital his house, on the site that later became the Flying Horse Inn
Flying Horse Inn
The Flying Horse Inn is a former public house in Nottingham. It was established around 1483. It is a Grade II listed building.It stands upon the site of the house which the Plumptre family erected for themselves when they first came to Nottingham in the 13th century.The first information of "The...

.

In 1650, Huntingdon Plumptre renovated it, raised the rents, and gave the widows a proper allowance: five shillings per month (£ as of ),, with sixpence extra at New Year (£ as of ),.

In the 1750s, another John Plumptre expanded the hospital so it could at last take the full 13 widows. They now received each year £13 10s (£ as of ), a gown and a tonne of coal, and in addition the New Year
New Year
The New Year is the day that marks the time of the beginning of a new calendar year, and is the day on which the year count of the specific calendar used is incremented. For many cultures, the event is celebrated in some manner....

 sixpence(£ as of ),.

In the garden at the rear there is a plaque on the wall which reads 'Sufficit Meruisis' - 'it is enough to serve'.

Although the Plumptre family moved to Kent in 1756, they supported the charity by rebuilding the hospital again in 1823. Additional almshouses were built in Canal Street in 1956. (These were demolished around 2000).

By 1991, the charity no longer had the resources to improve Plumptre Hospital and its residents moved to the other almshouses. The building of 1823 was taken over by the Royal National Institute for the Blind in 2001.

Inscription

Inscription on the building reads
PLUMPTRE HOSPITAL

Founded and endowed for the support of a Master, a priest, and thirteen poor Widows,

By John de Plumptre, A.D. 1392.

Repaired by Huntingdon Plumptre, Esq., 1650

By John Plumptre, Esq., A.D. 1751

By John Plumptre, his son, A.D. 1753.

First stone of the present Hospital was laid on the 1st of August, A.D. 1823,

By the Rev. Charles Thomas Plumptre, Rector of Claypole,

In Lincolnshire, on behalf of his father, John Plumptre, of Fredville,

In the county of Ken, Esq., the Master or Guardian of the said Hospital,

And a descendant of the Founder.
The source of this article is wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.  The text of this article is licensed under the GFDL.
 
x
OK