Iloilo Mission Hospital
is a tertiary training hospital in Iloilo City
The City of Iloilo is a highly urbanized city in the Philippines and the capital city of Iloilo province. It is the regional center of the Western Visayas, as well as the center of the Iloilo-Guimaras Metropolitan Area...
The Philippines , officially known as the Republic of the Philippines , is a country in Southeast Asia in the western Pacific Ocean. To its north across the Luzon Strait lies Taiwan. West across the South China Sea sits Vietnam...
. The hospital has the distinction as the first mission hospital in the Philippines. It serves as a teaching hospital for Medicine, Nursing, Medical Technology, Physical Therapy, Medical Social Work, Pharmacy, Nutrition and Dietetics and has a Chaplaincy Program. Iloilo Mission Hospital is accredited also for residency training program in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology and with Family Medicine and Surgery. Dr. Elmer Pedregosa serves as the current Hospital Director. The institution is affiliated with the Convention of Philippine Baptist Churches
The Convention of Philippine Baptist Churches, Inc. is the oldest Baptist organizational body in the Philippines.Colporters translated and distributed Bibles in the Philippines beginning in the 1890s...
Iloilo Mission Hospital started from a humble beginning. In 1901, through the efforts of Dr. and Mrs. Andrew J. Hall, missionaries of the Presbyterian Foreign Mission Board, a temporary bamboo clinic was erected at Calle Amparo (now Ledesma Street), Iloilo City, to serve as a venue for the treatment of health care to the very poor. This was made possible because Andrew Hall was a doctor and his wife was a nurse. Like other professions, nursing in the Philippines evolved from the apprent
In 1905, a lot was purchased on Iznart Street, and in March of the following year, a new hospital was opened to take the place of the bamboo clinic. The first training school for nurses in the Philippines was officially opened with three young women offering to help the Halls. This is the first School of Nursing in the Philippines which started in 1906 and produced the three graduate nurses in 1909. Now, the School of Nursing was transferred at Central Philippine University.
In 1907, an American Baptist Missionary, Dr. Raphael C. Thomas joined the staff. It was renamed Union Hospital. By 1920, the hospital expanded to a seventy beds. By this time the School of Nursing was registered with the government.
In 1924, the American Baptists were given full charge of the hospital and it was renamed the Iloilo Mission Hospital. More space was needed and land was purchased in the Jaro District and with the help of the American Baptist Foreign Mission Society and the local community the new building was completed in 1931. The entire hospital staff and patients were then moved onto the new site. With the improvement of the hospital’s occupancy additional extensions have been added and it now has a capacity of 230 bed, tertiary and teaching hospital.
In 2001, the hospital celebrated its centennial with yearlong activities. A four storey Centennial Building was also inaugurated that year.
In 2007, the old Nurses' Home was demolished to give way to the new Medical Arts Building. The building was completed and inaugurated in 2009.
- Pulmonary Services
- Nephrology with Hemodialysis Unit
- Rheumatology & Immunology
- Family Medicine
- Clinical Laboratory and Pathology
- Fetal Monitor
- Dental Services
- Medical Library
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Endoscopy and Bronchoscopy
- Cardiovascular and Thoracic
- Orthopedic and Hand Surgery
- General Surgery
- Pain Management and Palliative Care
- Stress Test & Echocardiography (ECG)
- Pulong-Bulong Outreach Mission Program
- Pediatric Intermediate Intensive Care Unit
- Diabetes Education Clinic
- Chaplaincy Services
- Out Patient Services
- Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Medicine
- CT Scan
- Nutrition Clinic