is a hamlet in the Town of Haverstraw
Haverstraw is a town in Rockland County, New York, United States located north of the Town of Clarkstown and the Town of Ramapo; east of Orange County, New York; south of the Town of Stony Point and west of the Hudson River. The town runs from the west to the east border of the county in its...
Rockland County is a suburban county 15 miles to the northwest of Manhattan and part of the New York City Metropolitan Area, in the U.S. state of New York. It is the southernmost county in New York west of the Hudson River, and the smallest county in New York outside of New York City. The...
, New York
New York is a state in the Northeastern region of the United States. It is the nation's third most populous state. New York is bordered by New Jersey and Pennsylvania to the south, and by Connecticut, Massachusetts and Vermont to the east...
, United States
The United States of America is a federal constitutional republic comprising fifty states and a federal district...
located north of New City; east of
Mount Ivy is a hamlet in the towns of Haverstraw and Ramapo New York, United States located north of New City; east of Pomona; south of Thiells and west of the Garnerville...
; south of Stony Point
Stony Point is a triangle-shaped town in Rockland County, United States. Rockland County is part of the New York Metropolitan Area. The town is located north of the town of Haverstraw, east and south of Orange County, New York, and west of the Hudson River and Westchester County. The population...
and west of West Haverstraw
West Haverstraw is a village in the Town of Haverstraw Rockland County, New York, United States located northwest of the Village of Haverstraw; east of Thiells; south of the Hamlet of Stony Point and west of the Hudson River. The population was 10,295 at the 2000 census...
. Most of the Hamlet is governed by West Haverstraw Village, a small portion of Garnerville defaults to Town of Haverstraw.
Received name from Garner family which operated textile printing industry on Minisceongo Creek near Railroad Avenue beginning 1838.
The community is bisected by U.S. Route 202
U.S. Route 202 is a highway stretching from Delaware to Maine, also passing through the states of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire....
. The Town of Haverstraw Town Hall resides in the hamlet, along with several small shopping centers and the newly renovated King's Daughters Library. The schools in Garnerville include North Garnerville Elementary School and St. Gregory Barbarigo Parochial School; the village is part of the North Rockland Central School District
The North Rockland Central School District is a public school district that serves northern Rockland County, New York. It consists of 6,905 students in 10 schools in grades Pre-K–12. The current district superintendent is Ileana Eckert.-Elementary:...
Rockland Community College
Rockland Community College is a two-year college in the State University of New York system, located in hamlet of Viola within the Village of Suffern from the Town of Ramapo in Rockland County, New York. The college began in 1959 in the former county almshouse. The college offers 48 programs and...
symbolically recognized David J. Rojas of Garnerville as State University of New York
The State University of New York, abbreviated SUNY , is a system of public institutions of higher education in New York, United States. It is the largest comprehensive system of universities, colleges, and community colleges in the United States, with a total enrollment of 465,000 students, plus...
(SUNY) “millionth graduate” at the 46th Commencement Ceremony held on June 3, 2007.
- Calico Hill - 31 West Railroad Avenue
- Garner Works - 55 West Railroad Avenue
Landmarks and places of Interest
- Garner Mansion Site - Railroad Avenue
- King’s Daughters Public Library - 10 W. Ramapo Road
- Garnerville Arts and Industrial Center (GAGA)- 55 W. Railroad Avenue is a not for profit art center with over 14, 0 square foot (0 m²) of unique performance and exhibition space in the Garnerville Arts and Industrial Center. The center is a landmark, pre-Civil War factory complex. Opened in 2001, GAGA attracts 5,000 art lovers each June for its annual GAGA Arts Festival: a two day event featuring open studios, art exhibitions, live music, film, and performance.
- Casey, Dr. Thomas F.X., 74, of Garnerville, NY, (September 1, 1935 -December 5, 2009) Historian of the Town of Haverstraw since 1973 and appointed the title of official Historian of the County of Rockland since 1977. He was President of the Board of the Kings Daughter's Public Library, past president and Senior Historian of the Historical Society of Rockland County,as well as, Chairman of the Rockland County Preservation Board. Laid to rest at Mount Repose Cemetery in the Village of Haverstraw
Haverstraw is a village in the town of Haverstraw in Rockland County, New York, United States located north of Congers; southeast of West Haverstraw; east of Garnerville, New York; northeast of New City and west of the Hudson River at its widest point...