The Ducati 749
is a 90-degree L Twin Desmodromic valve
A desmodromic valve is a reciprocating engine valve that is positively closed by a cam and leverage system, rather than by a more conventional spring...
actuated engine sport bike built by Ducati Motor Holding
Ducati Motor Holding S.p.A. is a motorcycle manufacturer in Bologna, Italy. It produces motorcycles for both road use and motorcycle racing.- History :...
between 2003 and 2006. Designed by Pierre Terblanche
Pierre Terblanche is a South African motorcycle designer born in 1956 in Uitenhage, Eastern Cape. He started his career in advertising but felt the need to move into the design world. After moving to Germany and working with Volkswagen design he worked at Cagiva's Research Center at San Marino...
, the 749 was available as the 749
, 749 Dark
, and 749R
. It shared many of its parts with the 999
The Ducati 999 superseded the Massimo Tamburini designed Ducati 916, Ducati 996 and Ducati 998 range of superbikes in 2003, and was produced through 2006...
, with the exception of a slightly smaller 180/55 profile rear tire, smaller cylinders, and different cylinder heads, giving it a smaller displacement of 748 cc. This smaller engine is higher revving and produces a lower peak horsepower than the larger engine used in the 999. The 749S model, like the 999, incorporates features rarely found on production motorcycles, including adjustable rake (23.5° or 24.5°) and five-position adjustable rearset mounts.
A limited number of the 749 were manufactured as a race version — the 749R — each with their production number stamped on the triple clamp. This race model was lighter, had a shorter stroke, increased bore and larger valves which allowed it to run more efficiently at higher RPM, and hence, produced more torque and power than the 749/S models. The 749R also came with a larger tank (4.8 US gallons); slipper clutch; Öhlins
Öhlins or Öhlins Racing AB, is a manufacturer of high-performance suspension systems for automotive, motorcycle, snowmobile, and ATV use. It is based in Upplands Väsby just north of Stockholm, Sweden...
forks, shock and steering damper; racing cams; titanium valves, valve guides, and connecting rods; magnesium head covers, and carbon fiber belt covers. Its 2004 model had carbon fiber fairings.
The 749 was replaced by the Ducati 848
The Ducati 848 is a V-twin sport bike manufactured by Ducati. It was announced on November 6, 2007 for the 2008 model year and replaces the 749, although the 848 model name was already listed on the compatible parts table for the 1098 fuel tank, giving away the secret a few months early. The 848...
for the 2008 model year.
- Frame: Tubular steel trellis
- Wheelbase: 1,420 mm (55.9 in )
- Rake: 24.5°, adjustable to 23.5°
- Front suspension: Showa 43 mm upside-down fully adjustable fork
- Front wheel travel: 125 mm (4.9 in)
- Front brake: 2 x 320 mm semi-floating discs, 4-piston 4-pad caliper
- Front wheel: Y-shaped 5-spoke light alloy 3.50 x 17
- Front tyre: 120/70 ZR 17
- Rear suspension: Progressive linkage with fully adjustable Sachs monoshock
- Rear wheel travel: 128 mm (5.0 in)
- Rear brake: 240 mm disc, 2-piston caliper
- Rear wheel: Y-shaped 5-spoke light alloy 5.50 x 17
- Rear tyre: 180/55 ZR 17
- Fuel tank capacity: 15.5 L (4.1 US gal), includes 3 L (0.8 US gal) reserve
- Weight: 188 kg (415 lb )
- Seat height: 780 mm (30¾ in)
- Instruments: Speedometer, tachometer, high beam indicator, turn signals, oil pressure warning light, low fuel warning light, neutral light, water temperature, outside temperature gauge, fuel consumption, battery voltage, immobilizer system
- Versions: Dual seat and Fast back
- Gearbox: 6 speed
- Ratios: 1st 37/15, 2nd 30/17, 3rd 28/20, 4th 26/22, 5th 24/23, 6th 23/24
- Primary drive: Straight cut gears; ratio 1.84
- Final drive: Chain; Front sprocket 14; Rear sprocket 39
- Clutch: Dry multiplate with hydraulic control