Ask a question about 'Apostle Islands Lighthouses'
Start a new discussion about 'Apostle Islands Lighthouses'
Answer questions from other users
The Apostle Islands Lighthouses
are a group of six lighthouse
A lighthouse is a tower, building, or other type of structure designed to emit light from a system of lamps and lenses or, in older times, from a fire, and used as an aid to navigation for maritime pilots at sea or on inland waterways....
s, located in the Apostle Islands
The Apostle Islands are a group of 22 islands in Lake Superior, off the Bayfield Peninsula in northern Wisconsin. The majority of the islands are located in Ashland County—only Sand, York, Eagle, and Raspberry Islands are located in Bayfield County...
Wisconsin is a U.S. state located in the north-central United States and is part of the Midwest. It is bordered by Minnesota to the west, Iowa to the southwest, Illinois to the south, Lake Michigan to the east, Michigan to the northeast, and Lake Superior to the north. Wisconsin's capital is...
and listed in the National Register of Historic Places
The National Register of Historic Places is the United States government's official list of districts, sites, buildings, structures, and objects deemed worthy of preservation...
in 1977 as reference number 77000145.
The following lighthouses are listed under this reference number:
- Michigan Island Lighthouse (Two lighthouses located at this site)
- Raspberry Island Lighthouse
- Outer Island Lighthouse
- Sand Island Light
The Sand Island Light is a lighthouse located on the northern tip of Sand Island, one of the Apostle Islands, in Lake Superior in Bayfield County, Wisconsin, near the city of Bayfield....
- Devils Island Lighthouse
Other lighthouses are in the area, but are not included in the Apostle Islands Lighthouses listing:
- La Pointe Lighthouse and Chequamegon Point Lighthouse (listed together as the La Pointe Light Station, #83003366)
- Ashland Harbor Breakwater Lighthouse - In the vicinity, but not technically in the Apostle Islands.
- Gull Island Light
Gull Island Light is a lighthouse on Gull Island, one of the Apostle Islands, in Lake Superior in northern Wisconsin, in Ashland County, Wisconsin USA. The lighthouse was constructed in 1928 and is currently owned by the Coast Guard...
, Gull Island
Gull Island is one of the Apostle Islands, in Lake Superior, in northern Wisconsin, and is part of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. The island is located off the coast of Michigan Island. The Gull Island Light is on Gull Island....
- Havighurst, Walter (1943) The Long Ships Passing: The Story of the Great Lakes, Macmillan Publishers
Macmillan Publishers Ltd, also known as The Macmillan Group, is a privately held international publishing company owned by Georg von Holtzbrinck Publishing Group. It has offices in 41 countries worldwide and operates in more than thirty others.-History:...
- Oleszewski, Wes, Great Lakes Lighthouses, American and Canadian: A Comprehensive Directory/Guide to Great Lakes Lighthouses, (Gwinn, Michigan: Avery Color Studios, Inc., 1998) ISBN 0-932212-98-0.
- Wright, Larry and Wright, Patricia, Great Lakes Lighthouses Encyclopedia Hardback (Erin: Boston Mills Press, 2006) ISBN 1-55046-399-3.