Ask a question about 'Airman Leadership School'
Start a new discussion about 'Airman Leadership School'
Answer questions from other users
Airman Leadership School
) is a five week-long United States Air Force
The United States Air Force is the aerial warfare service branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of the American uniformed services. Initially part of the United States Army, the USAF was formed as a separate branch of the military on September 18, 1947 under the National Security Act of...
program designed to develop airmen into effective front-line supervisors. It is the first professional military education (PME) that enlisted Air Force members encounter.http://www.hill.af.mil/dpn/main/welcome.htm
ALS focuses on developing leadership abilities as well as effective communication.
Senior airman is the fourth enlisted rank in the United States Air Force, just above airman first class and below staff sergeant. It has a pay grade of E-4...
with 48 months time in service or those with a promotion line number for Staff Sergeant
Staff sergeant is a rank of non-commissioned officer used in several countries.The origin of the name is that they were part of the staff of a British army regiment and paid at that level rather than as a member of a battalion or company.-Australia:...
. The member must also have at least six months of retainability from the projected class graduation date before being enrolled.
Awards in ALS
- Non-Commissioned Officer Development Ribbon
A Non-Commissioned Officer Professional Development Ribbon is an award issued by the United States Army and Air Force to recognize those non-commissioned officers who have completed a prescribed leadership course at an NCO training school.-Army:...
- Mandatory award and wear upon successful completion of ALS.
- John Levitow
John L. Levitow , was an AC-47 gunship loadmaster for the 3d Special Operations Squadron who received the Medal of Honor for exceptional heroism during wartime.-Biography:...
Award - The highest award presented at Airman Leadership School, it is the pinnacle of success in ALS and Enlisted PME. The Levitow award is presented to the student that demonstrated the most outstanding leadership and scholastic qualities. Selection for the Levitow award is based on academic performance and assignment of points by peers and instructors (although it is unclear what weight each category carries in determining winner).
- Commandant Leadership Award - Presented to the student who has displayed all the characteristics of an effective leader, but is not based at all on academic standings. One student from each flight in the class is selected by their peers and must meet with the Commandant. The commandant is the final determining factor in who is awarded the honor. This award is unique when considering the peer points, instructor points and board scores needed.
- Distinguished Graduate Award - Presented to the next (10% of graduates) person with the highest overall average in all graded areas, and demonstrated a high level of leadership skills.
- Academic Achievement Award - Presented to the student with highest overall average on all academic evaluations.
Supervision without SSgt Promotion
Upon completion of ALS the graduate receives the ability to write performance reports on subordinates.Air Force Instruction (AFI) 36-2618
. This allows the graduate the ability to supervise.
Airman Leadership School covers Combat Leader, Military Professional, Supervisor of Airmen, verbal and written communication, and group dynamics. A majority of the instruction focuses around various Air Force rules and regulations.