Pay It Forward
is a 2000 film
about a young boy who attempts to make the world a better place after his teacher gives him that chance.
Sometimes The Simplest Idea Can Make The Biggest Difference. taglines
- Directed by Mimi Leder. Written by Leslie Dixon, based on the novel by Catherine Ryan Hyde.
- I guess it's hard for people who are so used to things the way they are - even if they're bad - to change. 'Cause they kind of give up. And when they do, everybody kinda of loses.
- [to Mr. Simonet] What did you ever do to change the world?
- Arlene McKenney: I can't reject you, you're too quick for me!
- Arlene McKenney: [to Eugene] You look good to me.
- Sidney Parker: The world is a shithole, pardon my French an' shit.
- Eugene Simonet: Jesus Arlene, he doesn't have to. All he has to do is not love him.
- [Thorsen gives Chris the keys to his car]
- Chris: You want me to drive home in your car?
- Thorsen: No, I want you to take my car. Had a lot of luck lately. I don't need it.
- Chris: You're giving me a brand-new Jaguar, and you don't want anything?
- Thorsen: I can prove it. Give me your card.
- [Chris gives Thorsen a business card]
- Thorsen: I'll be in touch.
- Chris: Whoa, what is this? What, you want me to kill your wife or something?
- Thorsen: No. Tempting, but no. Call it generosity between two strangers.
- Trevor: Are you saying you'll flunk us if we don't change the world?
- Eugene: Well, no. But you might just scrape by with a C.
- Arlene: I got to take a shower.
- Trevor: What?
- Arlene: I smell horrible.
- Trevor: No you don't! You smell like a rose or something.
- Arlene: Are you sure?
- Trevor: Yeah, yeah, I'm sure.
- Arlene: Sit down, I want to talk to you.
- Trevor: You want to lie to me.
- Thorsen: I thanked him and there were some very specific orifices in which I was told to shove my thanks. He told me, "Just pay it forward." Three big favors for three other people. That's it.
- Chris: So it's like a pass-it-on thing, then. Wait a minute. You and this lowlife are in this chain of do-gooders, some kind of Mother Theresa conga line? That's a little New-Agey for you, isn't it? Sort of Tibetan? What, are you in a cult?
- Thorsen: If you mention my name, you'll be selling your kidneys to pay for your lawsuit. Cult.
- Chris: Hey, the guy. What was the guy's name?
- Thorsen: [as he's walking away] Sorry, I'm late for my mass wedding.
- Arlene: Jesus, you are really somethin'.
- Eugene: Thanks. I appreciate the euphemism. I always wanted to be somethin'.
- Jerry: You ever been on the street?
- Arlene: My mom took us pretty close.
- Jerry: Well, you can't know. Not until you look at a dumpster. But when you climb into that thing for the first time and you pull those newspapers over you, that's when you know you've messed your life up. Somebody comes along like your son, and gives me a leg up, I'll take it. Even from a kid, I'll take it.
- Trevor: Were you just being nice?
- Eugene: About what?
- Trevor: About my idea. Do you think it's good, or were you just being teachery?
- Eugene: "Teachery"?
- Trevor: Bullshitting.
- Eugene: Do I strike you as someone falsely nice?
- Trevor: No. You're not even really all that nice.
- Eugene: OK. You know, I'm going to have to consult my spirit guides here, because you tell me that Trevor is withholding from you, but you won't tell me anything specific and you still want me to sit here and divine why.
- Arlene: Divine why? You always talk like that?
- Eugene: Yes.
- Arlene: You go to some big, fancy school?
- Eugene: Yes.
- Arlene: Think you can stop rubbing my nose in it?
- Chris: Is that what you wanted for your birthday? Everybody to Pay it forward?
- Trevor: I can't ask for that.
- Chris: Sure you can, why not ?
- Trevor: It wouldn't work.
- Chris: Why?
[Pause; thoughtfully thinks]
- Trevor: I already blew out my candles.
- Sometimes The Simplest Idea Can Make The Biggest Difference.
- When someone does you a big favor, don't pay it back... Pay It Forward
- Some favours you are not allowed to pay back.
- Is it possible for one idea to change the world?
- A movie from the heart that connects with the heart.