is a German Formula One driver and the most successful driver of all time. He is also the first and only German to win the drivers' championship.
- "With the car we had, getting a pole was sort of obvious."
- "I think that compared to other teams we are looking competitive, but we need to wait till everybody is running on low fuel and with new tyres. I still reckon that there are four teams capable of winning."
- "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
- "Just being a mediocre driver has never been my ambition. That's not my style."
- "I'm Michael Schumacher. I don't need to test my driving ability".
- "We are always there, we always fight, we never give up... thats why we are here."
- "I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance"
- "I like to share my life, and spend time with someone I love. That has worked 100 per cent with my wife. "
- "I will do everything I can to bring the Number One to Ferrari. The whole team and all the fans deserve it."
- "In sport there is never any moment that is the same as the other. I have been in Formula One for 12 years, and out of that I had one year with the perfect car. "
- "My kids are not known, and I think that is very important. So far they have lived a normal life, and will continue to do so. I feel they should have the possibility to live a free life without the burden of fame I have created. "
- "He is incredibly professional. If you had to go for a heart operation you'd want somebody who was the Schumacher of the heart surgery world to do the job, because you can rely on him." (...). He laughs as he considers the dominance of his old enemy. "Fortunately Michael wasn't like that in 1996! The fact he is still winning makes me feel a lot better. It's not so bad to be beaten by the best driver who's ever lived. Nobody really knew that then. I was first into the arena, the first Christian thrown to the lions" --Damon Hill, The Guardian, 2004
- "I always said that the decision to retire would be his alone but now that decision has been taken I feel a sense of sadness. We have lived through some unforgettable times together, some good and some bad, achieving results that will be hard to equal."
- "Michael has been the author of a unique chapter in the history of Formula 1 and of Ferrari in particular. It has yet to reach its conclusion and what he has achieved extends over and above the results obtained. He is an exceptional man and will become a legend as a driver."
- "Everybody will miss Michael, whoever they are. It is a big event for everyone. I think someone of his ability, someone of his experience, and someone of his involvement will be very badly missed. But F1 goes on, Ferrari goes on."
- Ferrari chief designer Rory Byrne, who designed all of Schumacher's championship winning cars:
- "He will be missed as a friend and colleague and as the ultimate professional. It's the end of Michael's career in Formula One so in that sense, it is the end of an era. When you look at his record, that's going to be difficult to beat."
- "I am sure he has thought long and hard about his decision and I respect it. I've enjoyed racing with him and I wish him all the best both for the championship and the future."
- Three-times Formula One world champion Niki Lauda:
- "If the best guy in the world retires it is certainly a sad day. You can say whatever you want, he won seven world championships and he might win another one. There is nobody like him in the world, he is unique. It's sad that he retires. But I know you have to retire one day and I respect that."
- "People have said to me that F1 is boring because he wins everything. So presumably when he's not here, people will be happy. But we'll miss him, because he is a superstar."
- "Any top driver when he leaves will be missed. Michael's probably the furthest up the scale of anyone because he's got an unbeaten record. It won't damage F1 in any way but I think all of us who follow it will miss him clearly because he is an exceptional driver."
- Formula One world champion and ex-rival Damon Hill:
- "It's a brave decision to stop doing something he loves. We sort of know how he'll be remembered but over time his successes will mark an era when his dedication to winning gave the championship colour. I think he'll be doubly motivated to win the championship. He's certainly capable of winning races. I think it's hard to give that up. I think he's doing the right thing for himself.
- "I'm looking forward to F1 without Michael and hoping that we will see some real competition again between drivers within teams as well as drivers against each other in other teams."
- "I think we lose and we will miss a great champion on the track. He beat all the records so he has the best numbers in Formula One but I think maybe F1 will focus more on sport after that."
- "It is a pity for F1 to lose such a great champion, but the time to stop comes to everyone."
- "He has everything to lose and nothing to gain, so it's very logical and sensible to retire while he's on top of his game, but knowing Michael, everything he has been able to do, I think he would still have the energy to continue."
- "Winning at Monza was a fitting way to announce his departure. Irrespective of whether people are believers in Michael's race ethics or not, you have to recognise he's been a great champion and it's the end of an era."
- "We will miss him a little bit as a driver. We will miss him a lot in the football matches."
"Michael achieved great things, he's phenomenal, and I don't think many other drivers could have done as well as he has, so I don't expect to go and beat his record, but at one point it has to be a goal"
- "For me it is sad to learn that he will retire. With his retirement, an era of Formula One racing ends."
- "Well we've got to discuse the Schumacher question. Let's face it. Old Schumacher, we have to face this. He's German. He's German, The car's Italian. He's German, the car's Italian, but it's designed by British designers. He's one of us! He's driving for Britain! He's British, technically, on paper!"
Michael Schumacher quotes at thinkexist http://thinkexist.com/quotes/michael_schumacher/