Ask a question about 'Worthington Senior High School'
Start a new discussion about 'Worthington Senior High School'
Answer questions from other users
'''Worthington Senior High School''' is a [[public high school]] in [[Worthington, Minnesota|Worthington]], [[Minnesota]], in the southwest corner of the state. Worthington Senior High School is in Class AA of the [[Minnesota State High School League]]. The current campus is located on Clary Street, adjacent to the ISD #518 building on Marine Avenue.
== Academics ==
Each school day is run on a block schedule, with four blocks lasting 85 minutes each. School starts at 8:05 a.m. and dismisses at 2:50 p.m. [[Homeroom]] is between first and second blocks every Friday. The school year is operated on a four quarter/two [[semester]] schedule. The students have the freedom to choose which courses they wish to take. The students need to complete 30 credits to graduate, which include 17 required credits in the areas of [[mathematics]], English, [[science]], and [[social studies]], among others.
Worthington Senior High School does not require study of a foreign language, but offers [[German language|German]] and [[Spanish language|Spanish]] courses. WHS also offers [[Advanced Placement]] classes, including [[AP Calculus]], [[AP Biology]] and [[AP Psychology]]. Honors and College Bound classes are offered in the core areas of the curriculum, and students in their junior and senior years are able to enroll in [[Post Secondary Enrollment Options]] (PSEO) courses at Minnesota West Community and Technical College.
== Extracurricular activities ==
All students are offered their choice of extracurricular activities, if they choose to participate. Academic extracurricular activities include [[Knowledge Bowl]], [[Student Council]], [[Drama]], [[Minnesota High School Speech|Speech]], [[National FFA Organization|FFA]], [[FCCLA]], and others. The music program at WHS includes [[choir]] (Trojan Choir (grades 9-10) and an audition Concert Choir), a 9-12 [[Marching band|Marching]]/[[Concert Band]], and a concert [[orchestra]]. The choral program also has three audition groups: VOX (men's ensemble), Bel Canto (women's ensemble) and Trojan Express (mixed ensemble).
== National Teacher Of The Year Award Winners ==
In 1996, Worthington Senior High School teacher Mary Beth Blegen received the award for National Teacher of the Year. She taught courses in History, Humanities, and Writing.
Worthington Senior High School has many notable alumni, including:
* [[Matt Entenza]], former minority leader of the [[Minnesota House of Representatives]] (2002–2006) and a 2010 [[Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party|DFL]] candidate for governor of Minnesota.
* [[Peter Ludlow]], prominent analytic philosopher, currently teaching at [[Northwestern University]].
* [[Lee Nystrom]], professional football player for the [[Green Bay Packers]], [[New England Patriots]], and [[Pittsburgh Steelers]] [http://www.isd518.net/act/hof/wthof-web/1990/Lee%20Nystrom.mht]
* [[Tim O'Brien (author)|Tim O'Brien]], famed American author, known for his works about the [[Vietnam War]].
== External links ==
* [http://www.isd518.net/ ISD #518 official website.]