The Moscow Times
is an English-language daily newspaper
A newspaper is a scheduled publication containing news of current events, informative articles, diverse features and advertising. It usually is printed on relatively inexpensive, low-grade paper such as newsprint. By 2007, there were 6580 daily newspapers in the world selling 395 million copies a...
published in Moscow
Moscow is the capital, the most populous city, and the most populous federal subject of Russia. The city is a major political, economic, cultural, scientific, religious, financial, educational, and transportation centre of Russia and the continent...
Russia or , officially known as both Russia and the Russian Federation , is a country in northern Eurasia. It is a federal semi-presidential republic, comprising 83 federal subjects...
since 1992. The circulation in 2008 stood at 35,000 copies and the newspaper is typically given out for free at places English-language "expats
An expatriate is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country and culture other than that of the person's upbringing...
" attend, including hotel
A hotel is an establishment that provides paid lodging on a short-term basis. The provision of basic accommodation, in times past, consisting only of a room with a bed, a cupboard, a small table and a washstand has largely been replaced by rooms with modern facilities, including en-suite bathrooms...
A café , also spelled cafe, in most countries refers to an establishment which focuses on serving coffee, like an American coffeehouse. In the United States, it may refer to an informal restaurant, offering a range of hot meals and made-to-order sandwiches...
s and restaurant
A restaurant is an establishment which prepares and serves food and drink to customers in return for money. Meals are generally served and eaten on premises, but many restaurants also offer take-out and food delivery services...
s, as well as by subscription, though it is being increasingly read by English-speaking Russians. It is not available at newsstands.
The paper began as a twice weekly publication, before becoming a daily newspaper after a few months. Until 2000, it was based in the old headquarters of Pravda
Pravda was a leading newspaper of the Soviet Union and an official organ of the Central Committee of the Communist Party between 1912 and 1991....
, and it was the first Western daily to be published in Russia.
Until 2005, the paper was owned by Independent Media, a Moscow-registered publishing house that also prints a Russian-language
Russian is a Slavic language used primarily in Russia, Belarus, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan. It is an unofficial but widely spoken language in Ukraine, Moldova, Latvia, Turkmenistan and Estonia and, to a lesser extent, the other countries that were once constituent republics...
daily newspaper, Vedomosti
Vedomosti is a Russian language business daily. It is a joint venture between Dow Jones, the Financial Times and Sanoma, publishers of The Moscow Times....
, The St. Petersburg Times
(the equivalent of The Moscow Times
in Saint Petersburg
Saint Petersburg is a city and a federal subject of Russia located on the Neva River at the head of the Gulf of Finland on the Baltic Sea...
) and Russian-language versions of popular glossy magazines such as FHM
FHM, originally published as For Him Magazine, is an international monthly men's lifestyle magazine.- History :The magazine began publication in 1985 in the United Kingdom under the name For Him and changed its title to FHM in 1994 when Emap Consumer Media bought the magazine, although the full For...
, Men's Health
Men's Health , published by Rodale Inc. in Emmaus, Pennsylvania, United States, is the world’s largest men’s magazine brand, with 44 editions around the world. It is also the best-selling men's magazine on U.S. newsstands. It covers fitness, nutrition, sexuality, lifestyle and other aspects of...
. That year, Independent Media was acquired by the Finnish publishing group Sanoma.
The Editor-in-Chief is Andrew McChesney, who was promoted to the position in June 2006 after serving in a number of capacities in the newspaper.
The newspaper regularly publishes articles by prominent Russian journalists, many of whom take critical positions towards the current Russian government in general.
In 2009, The Moscow Times
published Russia for Beginners: A Foreigners Guide to Russia
, a guide for foreigners written by foreign authors who have lived in Russia, and offers their experiences in Russia.
The newspaper, as well as its sister publication, The St. Petersburg Times
, are owned by the Finland
Finland , officially the Republic of Finland, is a Nordic country situated in the Fennoscandian region of Northern Europe. It is bordered by Sweden in the west, Norway in the north and Russia in the east, while Estonia lies to its south across the Gulf of Finland.Around 5.4 million people reside...
-based Sanoma Corporation.
- 1992 first issue of The Moscow Times was published
- 1997 creation of site www.moscowtimes.ru.
- 1998 start of conferences and business-breakfasts arranging
- 2003-2004 creation of appendixes Jobs & Careers and и Real Estate Catalog и Real Estate Quarterly
- 2005 launch of glamorous appendix Moscow Guide, culture and rest guide in Moscow, launch of annual restaurant project Moscow Dining Guide.
- 2006 alliance The Moscow Times - International Herald Tribune.
- 2009 launch of united news portal about Russia in English www.themoscowtimes.com.
- 2010 first issue of The Moscow Times in color, launch of projects Travel guide, Bar Guide, Life Style Guide.
Newspaper The Moscow Times highlights politics events that happen inside the country and abroad, business and culture news 5 days a week.
- News – interpretation of the latest news and events (Russia and CIS)
- Business & Finance – coverage of news from the business world
- Stocks – news of the financial and stock markets
- Opinion – opinion-based articles on actual topics
- Real Estate – real estate market (thematic section every Tuesday)
- Job Opportunities – vacancies and education (every Wednesday and Friday)
- Classifieds – private advertisements
- Miniguide – referential information
- Entertainment – main events of the day, bulletin board of a foreign community of Moscow
- Context – leisure and entertainment
- What's On – calendar of culture events: cinema, theatre, exhibitions, ballet, opera (weekly column on Thursday)
Publications and special projects
- International Herald Tribune – international news every day
- Inter-country annexes The Moscow Times – Russia-France, Russia-Finland, Russia-UK, etc. These editions are dedicated to bilateral issues of cooperation and promote establishing of business and investment programs of interaction between 2 countries. Main focus of these editions is discussion of the economic and trade-investment issues, inter-culture project, tourism issues.
- Real Estate Catalog and Real Estate Quarterly – regular specialized business editions about real estate market
- The Moscow Times Guide – Russia for Beginners, Russia for the Advanced, Dining Guide, Travel Guide, Bar Guide glamorous edition, seasonal style guide, fashionable trends, secular and culture events of the capital.
- Conferences The Moscow Times – meeting place of Russian and foreign investors, businessmen and experts in Russia and abroad as well.