Home      Discussion      Topics      Dictionary      Almanac
Signup       Login
Swayne Field

Swayne Field

Discussion
Ask a question about 'Swayne Field'
Start a new discussion about 'Swayne Field'
Answer questions from other users
Full Discussion Forum
 
Encyclopedia
'''Swayne Field''' was a [[minor league baseball]] park in [[Toledo, Ohio]]. It was the home of the [[Toledo Mud Hens]] from July 3, 1909, until the club disbanded after the 1955 season. It was also home to a short-lived entry in the South-Michigan League in 1914. The park was named for Noah H. Swayne, Jr., the son of [[United States Supreme Court|U.S. Supreme Court]] Justice [[Noah Haynes Swayne]], who donated the land for the ballpark. The double-decker ballpark replaced '''[[Armory Park]]'''. The ballpark was located on a block bounded by Monroe Street (southwest - first base), Detroit Avenue (southeast - right field), Council Street (northeast - left field) and railroad tracks (northwest - third base). Ground was broken on March 6, 1909, and the park opened on July 3. The opening game crowd got its money's worth, as the game went 18 innings, Columbus edging out Toledo 12-11. (''Toledo Baseball Guide'', p. 97) Field dimensions initially were 360 feet down the left field line, 482 feet to center field, and 327 to right field. The park initially held 11,800 spectators. 1928 expansion added 3,000 more seats. Inner bleachers cut the center field distance to 425. In later years, an inner fence cut down the size of the left and center field areas further, to become more "home run friendly". With the Mud Hens calling this field their home for the better part of 46{{frac|1|2}} years, this was the longest-lived of the many ballparks used for professional ball in Toledo. There were a few interruptions. The Mud Hens were transferred to Cleveland for 1914 and 1915 by their owner, who was also the owner of the [[Cleveland Indians]]. This was done to keep the [[Federal League]] at bay, by ensuring that there was a home game every day at Cleveland's [[League Park]]. Another team was placed in Toledo for 1914, as part of the South-Michigan League. The "Soumichers" or "Little Mud Hens" drew poorly and became strictly a road team for the second half of the season. There was no club in 1915. In 1916, the original Mud Hens transferred back from Cleveland, with the Fed having folded. The Mud Hens had little success over the years, and in mid-1952 the team transferred to [[Charleston, West Virginia]]. Another AA club transferred to Toledo for 1953, but after three seasons it left, and Swayne Field was demolished soon after. The revived Mud Hens would begin in 1965 at [[Ned Skeldon Stadium|Lucas County Stadium]] in [[Maumee, Ohio]], which had been remodeled specifically to attract baseball to Toledo again. ==Sources== *''The Toledo Baseball Guide of the Mud Hens 1883–1943'', Ralph Elliott Lin Weber, 1944. *''Baseball Parks of North America'', Michael Benson, McFarland, 1989. *''Baseball in Toledo'', John R. Husman, Arcadia, 2003. ==External links== *[http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1054214285033313591KIwlXV Photo of Swayne Field] *[http://www.oldwestendtoledo.com/swaynefield.html Photos of Swayne Field] *[http://www.projectballpark.org/history/nnl1/swayne.html Writeup on Swayne Field] *[http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2002104060055 Summary of Toledo ballparks] {{Toledo Maroons}} {{Ohio League}} {{coord missing|Ohio}}