is a village in south Essex
Essex is a ceremonial and non-metropolitan county in the East region of England, and one of the home counties. It is located to the northeast of Greater London. It borders with Cambridgeshire and Suffolk to the north, Hertfordshire to the west, Kent to the South and London to the south west...
. It is situated to the north of Brentwood
Brentwood is a town and the principal settlement of the Borough of Brentwood, in the county of Essex in the east of England. It is located in the London commuter belt, 20 miles east north-east of Charing Cross in London, and near the M25 motorway....
, between Blackmore and Doddinghurst. The village possesses a rural feel to it, and in its first entry to the 'Best kept village in Essex' competition, won 'Best New Entry'.
Stondon Massey is hosts an annual Village Fete on the village green.
Etymology and history
Stondon means ‘ stone hill’, a Saxon settlement was established near to the site of the 12th Century church of St Peter’s & St Paul’s, where William Byrd
William Byrd was an English composer of the Renaissance. He wrote in many of the forms current in England at the time, including various types of sacred and secular polyphony, keyboard and consort music.-Provenance:Knowledge of Byrd's biography expanded in the late 20th century, thanks largely...
, the Tudor composer was buried. A low gravel hill was known as a ‘down’. Hence the name Stondon. Massey is derived from Serlo de Marci, a Norman knight who lived in Ongar.
Stondon Massey is still mainly rural, but there has been a good deal of suburban building during the past 30 years.
There have been three successive manor houses, the oldest of which is Stondon Hall, near the church. The north wing of the Hall is probably of the 15th century, and there is some 16th and 17th century panelling inside.
Stondon Place, originally a farmhouse, was rebuilt about 1707, and again after a fire, about 1880. From 1593 to 1623, it was the home of William Byrd, the musician.
The church of St Peter and St Paul retains the nave and chancel and some of the original round-headed arches of 1100. There is a brass of 1570 to John Carre, Ironmonger and Merchant Adventurer of London, with figures of himself and his two wives, and another, of 1573, to Rainold Hollingsworth.
Nathaniel Ward, Rector of Stondon from 1623 to 1633, was deprived of his living for non-conformity. He subsequently emigrated to New England and helped draft the 1641 Code of Laws for Massachusetts.
The main part of the village is now just over a mile to the south of the church probably due to the plague of 1350.
The village forms part of the 'Tipps Cross' ward of Brentwood Council. It also forms part of the 'Five Parishes'. These are Stondon Massey, Blackmore
Blackmore is a village in Essex, England. It is located approximately 3 miles east of Chipping Ongar and is 4 miles north of Brentwood...
, Kelvedon Hatch
Kelvedon Hatch is a village and civil parish in the Borough of Brentwood in south Essex, England. It is situated just north of Pilgrims Hatch, approximately to the north of Brentwood and is surrounded by Metropolitan Green Belt. The village today is no longer a rural backwater with a large...
Navestock is a civil parish in the Borough of Brentwood in south Essex, in the East of England region of the United Kingdom. It is located approximately North West of the town of Brentwood and the M25 motorway cuts through the western edge of the parish. It covers an area of in excess of 1800...
Doddinghurst is a village and civil parish in south Essex. It is 3 miles to the north of Brentwood.-History:The village was recorded in the Domesday Book as Doddenhenc, an Anglo-Saxon name meaning "the wood of Dudda or of his people"...
. These are all covered by the voluntary first aiders, The Five parishes First response.