Ask a question about 'South Carolina Botanical Garden'
Start a new discussion about 'South Carolina Botanical Garden'
Answer questions from other users
The South Carolina Botanical Garden
(295 acres) is located in Clemson, South Carolina
Clemson is a college town located in Pickens County in the U.S. state of South Carolina. The population was 11,939 at the 2000 census and center of an urban cluster with a total population of 42,199...
on the campus of Clemson University
Clemson University is an American public, coeducational, land-grant, sea-grant, research university located in Clemson, South Carolina, United States....
. This garden has nature trails, pathways, ponds, streams, woodlands, trial gardens, the Bob Campbell Geology Museum, and the Fran Hanson Discovery Center, which has exhibits by local artists. It is open to the public every day of the week.
The gardens are the home of the historic Hanover House
Hanover House is a French Huguenot house built in 1714-1716. The house is also known as the St. Julien-Ravenel House. It was constructed in the South Carolina Low Country in the present Berkeley County. When Lake Moultrie was created in the 1940s, the house was moved to the Clemson University...
, which is an early 18th century house built in the South Carolina Low Country
The Lowcountry is a geographic and cultural region located along South Carolina's coast. The region includes the South Carolina Sea Islands...
and moved to the Clemson campus. It also has a pioneer village featuring the Hunt Log Cabin, which was originally built about 1825 in the Seneca, South Carolina
Seneca is a city in Oconee County, South Carolina, United States. The population was 7,652 at the 2000 census. It is the principal city of the Seneca Micropolitan Statistical Area Seneca is a city in Oconee County, South Carolina, United States. The population was 7,652 at the 2000 census. It is...
The South Carolina Botanical Garden features one of the largest collections of nature-based sculptures in the country. The extended-ephemeral pieces were each designed on-site by international artists and built by local volunteers and students within one month. Upon completion, the pieces begin to return to nature, so while many may still be found in the Garden, others have disappeared without a trace.