A software publisher
is a publishing
Publishing is the process of production and dissemination of literature or information—the activity of making information available to the general public...
company in the software industry
The software industry includes businesses involved in the development, maintenance and publication of computer software using any business model...
between the developer
A software developer is a person concerned with facets of the software development process. Their work includes researching, designing, developing, and testing software. A software developer may take part in design, computer programming, or software project management...
and the distributor
Product distribution is one of the four elements of the marketing mix. An organization or set of organizations involved in the process of making a product or service available for use or consumption by a consumer or business user.The other three parts of the marketing mix are product, pricing,...
. In some companies, two or all three of these roles may be combined (and indeed, may reside in a single person, especially in the case of shareware
The term shareware is a proprietary software that is provided to users without payment on a trial basis and is often limited by any combination of functionality, availability, or convenience. Shareware is often offered as a download from an Internet website or as a compact disc included with a...
Software publishers often license software from original author-developers with specific limitations, such as a time limit or geographical region for a royalty consideration. The terms of licensing vary enormously, and are typically secret.
The author-developers may use publishers to reach larger or foreign markets. Typically, the publisher will bear most of the cost of entering these markets. In return they pay the developer an agreed upon royalty payment.
The duties of the publisher can vary greatly depending on the agreement reached between the parties. Duties can include:
- Translating language elements into the local language
- Building demand for the software in the local market
- Produce & Design boxed software products
- Technical support of the product locally
- Advertising in the local market - this includes creating the advertising as well as paying to have it displayed
- Develop the many sales channels in order to reach the largest audience
- Market the software to the end customers
Publishers may also use developers to create software to meet a market need that the publisher has identified.
List of Software Publishers
- Grace Promotions - WorldWide
- AmeriChannels - USA, Canada, Mexico, and abroad
- Avanquest - European publisher
- Manaccom - Australia & New Zealand
- BinaryNow - USA & Worldwide online
- Rentsoft - EMEA