Ask a question about 'Saint-Sulpice, Quebec'
Start a new discussion about 'Saint-Sulpice, Quebec'
Answer questions from other users
is a municipality in the Lanaudière
Lanaudière is one of the seventeen administrative regions of Quebec, Canada, situated immediately to the northeast of Montreal. It has a total population of 429,053 inhabitants.-Geography:...
region of Quebec, Canada, part of the L'Assomption Regional County Municipality
260px|rightL'Assomption is a regional county municipality in southwestern Quebec, Canada. The seat is in L'Assomption. The region is named for the L'Assomption River which flows through the region from the north before emptying into the Saint Lawrence River in the south of the region at...
. It is located on the north shore of the Saint Lawrence River
The Saint Lawrence is a large river flowing approximately from southwest to northeast in the middle latitudes of North America, connecting the Great Lakes with the Atlantic Ocean. It is the primary drainage conveyor of the Great Lakes Basin...
and includes most of Verchères Islands.
From 1680 onwards, French settlers colonized this area, clearing the land for cultivation. At that time it was part of the Saint-Sulpice Seignory
The seigneurial system of New France was the semi-feudal system of land distribution used in the North American colonies of New France.-Introduction to New France:...
that was owned by the Society of Saint-Sulpice
The Society of Saint-Sulpice is a Catholic Society of Apostolic Life named for Eglise Saint-Sulpice, Paris, in turn named for St. Sulpitius the Pious. Typically, priests become members of the Society of St. Sulpice only after ordination and some years of pastoral work. Uniquely, Sulpicians retain...
. In 1640 the seignory granted a concession to Pierre Chevrier, Baron of Fancamp, and to Jérôme Le Royer.
In 1706, the settlement was assigned its first pastor and in 1715, it had the region's only flour mill in operation. The Parish of Saint-Sulpice was formed in 1722, taking its name from the seignory. In 1845, the parish municipality was formed and in 1854, its post office opened.
- Population in 2006: 3332 (2001 to 2006 population change: -0.3 %)
- Population in 2001: 3343
- Population in 1996: 3307
- Population in 1991: 2549
Private dwellings occupied by usual residents: 1256 (total dwellings: 1288)
- English as first language: 0.5 %
- French as first language: 97.3 %
- English and French as first language: 0.7 %
- Other as first language: 1.5 %