Ask a question about 'Provand's Lordship'
Start a new discussion about 'Provand's Lordship'
Answer questions from other users
The Provand's Lordship
located in Glasgow
Glasgow is the largest city in Scotland and third most populous in the United Kingdom. The city is situated on the River Clyde in the country's west central lowlands...
Scotland is a country that is part of the United Kingdom. Occupying the northern third of the island of Great Britain, it shares a border with England to the south and is bounded by the North Sea to the east, the Atlantic Ocean to the north and west, and the North Channel and Irish Sea to the...
, today stands as a medieval-period historic house museum located at the top of Castle Street in the shadow of the Glasgow Cathedral
The church commonly known as Glasgow Cathedral is the Church of Scotland High Kirk of Glasgow otherwise known as St. Mungo's Cathedral.The other cathedrals in Glasgow are:* The Catholic Metropolitan Cathedral Church of Saint Andrew...
and Glasgow Royal Infirmary
The Glasgow Royal Infirmary is a large teaching hospital, operated by NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde,. With a capacity of around 1000 beds, the hospital campus covers an area of around 20 acres, situated on the north-eastern edge of the city centre of Glasgow, Scotland.-History:Designed by Robert...
Provand's Lordship and the nearby Glasgow Cathedral, are some of the very few buildings from Glasgow's medieval period. Provand's Lordship is the oldest remaining house in Glasgow, the cathedral is the oldest building.
Provand's Lordship was built in 1471 as part of St Nicholas's Hospital by Andrew Muirhead, Bishop of Glasgow, the Muirhead coat of arms is still visible on the side of the building. Provand's Lordship was likely to have been used to house clergy and other support staff for the Cathedral, providing temporary housing.
The house later became occupied by ‘Lord of the Prebend of Barlanark’ and perhaps was shared with the priest of St. Nicholas Hospital and Chapel and became known as ‘Lord of Provan’ and then ‘Provand’s Lordship’.
Most of the remaining medieval buildings that surrounded the Cathedral and hospital were demolished between the 18th and 20th centuries. In 1978, the building was offered to the City Of Glasgow by the Provand's Lordship Society. Today the house is furnished with a collection of seventeenth-century Scottish furniture donated by Sir William Burrell
Sir William Burrell was a Glaswegian shipping merchant and philanthropist. He was born in Glasgow, Scotland in 1861. He was the third of nine children in a family, which ran a shipping business....