Ask a question about 'Ordeal of the Union'
Start a new discussion about 'Ordeal of the Union'
Answer questions from other users
Ordeal of the Union
, an eight-volume set (published 1947–1971) on the American Civil War
The American Civil War was a civil war fought in the United States of America. In response to the election of Abraham Lincoln as President of the United States, 11 southern slave states declared their secession from the United States and formed the Confederate States of America ; the other 25...
by Allan Nevins
Allan Nevins was an American historian and journalist, renowned for his extensive work on the history of the Civil War and his biographies of such figures as President Grover Cleveland, Hamilton Fish, Henry Ford, and John D. Rockefeller.-Life:Born in Camp Point, Illinois, Nevins was educated at...
, is one of the author's greatest works, ending only with his death. The individual books are:
- Fruits of Manifest Destiny, 1847–1852
- A House Dividing, 1852–1857
- Douglas, Buchanan, and Party Chaos, 1857–1859
- Prologue to Civil War, 1859–1861
- The Improvised War, 1861–1862
- War Becomes Revolution, 1862–1863
- The Organized War, 1863–1864
- The Organized War to Victory, 1864–1865