Open University Malaysia or OUM
is the 7th Malaysian private university and it is owned by the Multimedia Technology Enhancement Operations (METEOR) Sdn. Bhd
, a consortium of 11 public universities in Malaysia. It leverages on the quality, prestige and capabilities of its owners - a consortium of 11 Malaysian public universities
Currently, the main campus is located at Jalan Tun Ismail, Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur is the capital and the second largest city in Malaysia by population. The city proper, making up an area of , has a population of 1.4 million as of 2010. Greater Kuala Lumpur, also known as the Klang Valley, is an urban agglomeration of 7.2 million...
. In addition to this, there are 61 learning centres throughout Malaysia, out of which 10 are regional learning centres.
As the first open university
The Open University is a distance learning and research university founded by Royal Charter in the United Kingdom...
in the country, OUM initially opening its doors to 753 learners in 2001, OUM has over 79,000 students in 70 academic programmes in its eighth year of operations, a record of some sort. Through OUM, working adults can upgrade their knowledge and skills for the purpose of career progression, career transition or pursuing lifelong learning ambitions, all within the comfort of their homes.
Currently, the Vice-Chancellor of OUM is Professor Tan Sri Datuk Dr. Anuwar Ali
Prof. Emeritus Tan Sri Datuk Dr. Anuwar Ali , an economist and exponent of higher education, is the second Vice-Chancellor and President of Open University Malaysia....
. The first Chancellor was the late YBhg Datin Seri Endon Mahmood
Tun Endon Mahmood Ambak was the first wife of the 5th Prime Minister of Malaysia, Tun Abdullah Ahmad Badawi. She died from breast cancer on 20 October 2005.She was also known as Kak Endon.-Early life:...
(the wife of 5th Prime Minister Tun Abdullah Badawi) who was appointed on 16 December 2004. On 8 December 2007, Tun Jeanne Abdullah
Tun Jeanne Abdullah née Danker is the current wife of former Prime Minister of Malaysia, Tun Abdullah Ahmad Badawi. She married Abdullah Badawi while he was in office. She was his second wife after the death of the Badawi's first wife, Endon Mahmood....
was appointed as the new Chancellor of OUM. While, the Pro-Chancellor is Tan Sri Dato' Azman Hashim
Tan Sri Dato' Azman Hashim is one of the richest people in Malaysia and his net worth is estimated by Forbes to be US$600 million , making him the 9th richest person in Malaysia .-Early life:...
who is also the Executive Chairman of Arab-Malaysian Corporation Berhad
AMMB Holdings is currently the fifth largest banking group in Malaysia, with more than 200 branches and their outlets , providing individuals and businesses with a range of financial services and products.AmBank Group was founded in 1975 as Arab-Malaysian Development Bank, by Merchant Banking...
e-Learning Methodology and Tools
- Open Entry refers to non-restrictive entry requirements for a degree programme, applicable to adults who possess learning experience which can be assessed and matched against the learning outcomes of an academic course.
- Blended Learning Methodology
- 1. Face to face learning
- Tutorials were conducted where students have the opportunity to physically meet their tutors and discussed their subject and their assignment
- 2. e-Learning
- Students are required to participate in an Online Forum using Learning Management System and discussed among each others and with their tutors and peers on their subject matters and on their assignment.
- 3. Self-managed learning module
- Students do not have to come over for their tutorials but they still need to come for their tests. They learn by using participating in the Learning Management System and using their own modules.
- 4. m-Learning
- The learning materials are designed in downloadable formats that can be accessed using a desktop or laptop computer. You could then opt to transfer these contents into your handphone to view them. All you need is a handphone equipped with the necessary features.
OUM has a strong network of learning centres nationwide. These learning centres are located at major cities and towns, from Peninsular Malaysia to Sabah and Sarawak.
OUM has 53 Learning Centres nationwide fully equipped with tutorial rooms, computer laboratories, library and Internet facilities.
- Modules are used by the students, tutors and Subject Matter Experts
A subject matter expert or domain expert is a person who is an expert in a particular area or topic. When spoken, sometimes the acronym "SME" is spelled out and other times voiced as a word ....
(SME).The modules are written by academicians from both public and private universities in Malaysia.
- Digital Library
A digital library is a library in which collections are stored in digital formats and accessible by computers. The digital content may be stored locally, or accessed remotely via computer networks...
- The Tan Sri Dr. Abdullah Sanusi Digital Library
The Tan Sri Dr. Abdullah Sanusi Digital Library or TSDAS Digital Library is a digital library housed at Open University Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Although it is known as digital library, the library holds a wide range of resources in both online and print format. Currently, there are close...
has more than 30,000 volumes of printed books in the main campus and learning centres nationwide. As for the digital collection, the online databases consist of more than more than 82,000 e-books and 32,000 e-journal titles. Other electronic collections include electronic theses, newspaper articles and legal acts.
- Malaysia's first Internet radio
Internet radio is an audio service transmitted via the Internet...
station to base its segments on modules offered by a university, iRadio OUM was established in April 2007. Boasting a variety of shows mainly aimed to add value to OUM learners' open and distance education, iRadio OUM is the creativity link, bridging education and information with entertainment in hopes to provide an alternative outlet for those looking for both entertainment and education in the worldwide web.
Accreditation of Programmes by OUM
The following programmes have been fully accredited by Malaysian MQA
The Malaysian Qualifications Agency or the MQA is a statutory body in Malaysia set up under the Malaysian Qualifications Act 2007 to accredit academic programs provided by educational institutions providing post secondary or higher education and facilitate the accreditation and articulation of...
- Diploma in Information Technology
- Diploma in Management
- Diploma in Civil Engineering
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
- Diploma in Human Resource Management
- Diploma in Technology Management
- Diploma in Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Education (Educational Administration) with Honours
- Bachelor of Information Technology with E-Commerce with Honours
- Bachelor of Information Technology with Honours
- Bachelor of Information Technology with Software Engineering with Honours
- Bachelor of Management with Honours
- Bachelor of Business Administration with Honours
- Bachelor of Information Technology & Management with Honours
- Bachelor of Information Technology with Accounting with Honours
- Bachelor of Information Technology with Network Computing with Honours
- Bachelor of Multimedia Communication with Honours
- Bachelor of Education (Civil Engineering) with Honours
- Bachelor of Education (Mechanical Engineering) with Honours
- Bachelor of Education (Electrical Engineering) with Honours
- Bachelor of Education (TESL) with Honours
- Bachelor of Education (Science) with Honours
- Bachelor of Education (Mathematics) with Honours
- Bachelor of Human Resource Management with Honours
- Bachelor of Mathematics with Information Technology with Honours
- Bachelor of Teaching (Pre-School Education) with Honours
- Bachelor of Teaching (Primary Education) with Honours
- Bachelor of Teachership (Arabic Language) with Honours
- Bachelor of Teachership (Chinese Language) with Honours
- Bachelor of Teachership (Malay Language) with Honours
- Bachelor of Teachership (Tamil Language) with Honours
- Bachelor of Teachership (Islamic Education) with Honours
- Bachelor of Teachership (Physical Education) with Honours
- Bachelor of Teachership (Special Education) with Honours
- Bachelor of Teachership (Music Education) with Honours
- Bachelor of Teachership (Social Studies) with Honours
- Bachelor of Teachership (Pre-School Education) with Honours
- Bachelor of Teachership (Visual Art Education) with Honours
- Bachelor of Nursing Science with Honours
- Bachelor of Technology Management with Honours
- Bachelor of Mathematics and Management with Honours
- Master of Science
- Master Of Information Science (Competitive Intelligence)
- Master of Science (Engineering)
- Master of Information Technology
- Master of Management
- Master of Environmental Science (Integrated Water Resources Management)
- Master of Education
- Master of Multimedia Communication
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Information Technology
- Master of Management
- Master of Science (Business Administration)
- Master of Instructional Design and Technology
- Doctor of Philosophy (Business Administration)
- This is an examination conducted to measure the competency level of IT professionals in Malaysia. It is equivalent to Japan Information Technology Engineers Examination (JITEC). Many Japanese companies use JITEC as a standard on skill development and objective level evaluation of IT Engineers. In Malaysia, METEOR was given the responsibility to implement MITPE. The MITPE are administered by the Malaysian Examination Council.
- A certification, which certifies that the holder has knowledge of the essential concepts of Information Technology
Information technology is the acquisition, processing, storage and dissemination of vocal, pictorial, textual and numerical information by a microelectronics-based combination of computing and telecommunications...
(IT) and is able to use a personal computer
A personal computer is any general-purpose computer whose size, capabilities, and original sales price make it useful for individuals, and which is intended to be operated directly by an end-user with no intervening computer operator...
and common computer applications at a recognized level of competence. In practice the ICDL certificate indicates that the holder has passed one theoretical and six practice-based tests which assesses the holder’s competence in using a personal computer and working with common computer applications, and also their knowledge in IT.
- ICDL became an approved training programme under the Human Resource Development Fund’s (HRDF) PROLUS scheme. Employers may send their staff to attend the training and submit their claims to HRDF after the completion of the course.
- This course is designed to give students exposure to the structure and functions of the English language in a communicative context. It is also designed to assist the students to be competent in English. This course incorporates the grammar awareness approach, which enables students to work out grammar rules for themselves.
- For more information, please visit the website.
- Faculty of Business & Management
- Faculty of Education & Languages
- Faculty of Applied and Social Sciences
- Faculty of Information Technology & Multimedia Communication
- Faculty of Science and Technology
- Centre for Graduate Studies
- Institute of Professional Development
- Offers courses that will contribute to the expansion of one’s knowledge and help equip graduates with the necessary learning skills as provide functional skills for today’s working world.
Academic Support Centre
OUM Student Portals
- OUM Club is a virtual OUM student club run by a few OUM students. Its membership are open to any OUM students and staffs. It is also contains lots of tips and information for current OUM students.
- OUMStudent Web Portal is also a virtual portal and run by a few OUM students and ex-students. Its membership is open to any OUM students and staffs. It is also contains lots of tips and information for current OUM students.
OUM foreign students came from Canada
Canada is a North American country consisting of ten provinces and three territories. Located in the northern part of the continent, it extends from the Atlantic Ocean in the east to the Pacific Ocean in the west, and northward into the Arctic Ocean...
Pakistan , officially the Islamic Republic of Pakistan is a sovereign state in South Asia. It has a coastline along the Arabian Sea and the Gulf of Oman in the south and is bordered by Afghanistan and Iran in the west, India in the east and China in the far northeast. In the north, Tajikistan...
Bangladesh , officially the People's Republic of Bangladesh is a sovereign state located in South Asia. It is bordered by India on all sides except for a small border with Burma to the far southeast and by the Bay of Bengal to the south...
, Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka, officially the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka is a country off the southern coast of the Indian subcontinent. Known until 1972 as Ceylon , Sri Lanka is an island surrounded by the Indian Ocean, the Gulf of Mannar and the Palk Strait, and lies in the vicinity of India and the...
The Maldives , , officially Republic of Maldives , also referred to as the Maldive Islands, is an island nation in the Indian Ocean formed by a double chain of twenty-six atolls oriented north-south off India's Lakshadweep islands, between Minicoy Island and...
' , officially the Kingdom of Bahrain , is a small island state near the western shores of the Persian Gulf. It is ruled by the Al Khalifa royal family. The population in 2010 stood at 1,214,705, including 235,108 non-nationals. Formerly an emirate, Bahrain was declared a kingdom in 2002.Bahrain is...
Libya is an African country in the Maghreb region of North Africa bordered by the Mediterranean Sea to the north, Egypt to the east, Sudan to the southeast, Chad and Niger to the south, and Algeria and Tunisia to the west....
, Saudi Arabia
The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia , commonly known in British English as Saudi Arabia and in Arabic as as-Sa‘ūdiyyah , is the largest state in Western Asia by land area, constituting the bulk of the Arabian Peninsula, and the second-largest in the Arab World...
Qatar , also known as the State of Qatar or locally Dawlat Qaṭar, is a sovereign Arab state, located in the Middle East, occupying the small Qatar Peninsula on the northeasterly coast of the much larger Arabian Peninsula. Its sole land border is with Saudi Arabia to the south, with the rest of its...
The Republic of Yemen , commonly known as Yemen , is a country located in the Middle East, occupying the southwestern to southern end of the Arabian Peninsula. It is bordered by Saudi Arabia to the north, the Red Sea to the west, and Oman to the east....
India , officially the Republic of India , is a country in South Asia. It is the seventh-largest country by geographical area, the second-most populous country with over 1.2 billion people, and the most populous democracy in the world...
- Malaysia Education
- Distance education
Distance education or distance learning is a field of education that focuses on teaching methods and technology with the aim of delivering teaching, often on an individual basis, to students who are not physically present in a traditional educational setting such as a classroom...
- Lifelong learning
Lifelong learning is the continuous building of skills and knowledge throughout the life of an individual. It occurs through experiences encountered in the course of a lifetime...