Ask a question about 'Mill Creek Township, Hamilton County, Ohio'
Start a new discussion about 'Mill Creek Township, Hamilton County, Ohio'
Answer questions from other users
'''Mill Creek Township''' (or '''Millcreek Township''') is a former [[township (United States)|township]] of south central [[Hamilton County, Ohio]] that was largely absorbed in the late Nineteenth century by the annexation of suburban villages and outlying settlements by the [[Cincinnati, Ohio|City of Cincinnati]]. It extended north from the [[Ohio River]] along both banks of the [[Cincinnati Mill Creek|Mill Creek]] after which it was named. As the original site of Fort Washington and the settlement of Cincinnati, references to it are frequently encountered by genealogists.
The township's territory was encompassed within the [[Symmes Purchase]], included the location of the original settlement of Cincinnati in 1787, as well as the core of Cincinnati's business district and many of its neighborhoods. All territory in the Cincinnati city limits is considered to be in Millcreek Township though the township does not exist as a civil jurisdiction.
Urbanization has been such that the township has been entirely incorporated into the cities of [[Cincinnati, Ohio|Cincinnati]], [[St. Bernard, Ohio|St. Bernard]], and [[Elmwood Place, Ohio|Elmwood Place]]. It remains only as a [[survey township]], since all functions of local government were absorbed by the nearby municipalities in the late 1940s and 1950s.