Ask a question about 'Malmesbury branch'
Start a new discussion about 'Malmesbury branch'
Answer questions from other users
The Malmesbury branch
was a six and a half mile long single track branch railway line that ran from Dauntsey railway station
Dauntsey railway station served the village of Dauntsey, Wiltshire from 1869 to 1965. It was situated on the Great Western Main Line which runs from London to Bristol....
on the Great Western Main Line
The Great Western Main Line is a main line railway in Great Britain that runs westwards from London Paddington station to the west of England and South Wales. The core Great Western Main Line runs from London Paddington to Temple Meads railway station in Bristol. A major branch of the Great...
to via one intermediate station, .
In 1864 the Wiltshire and Gloucestershire Railway Company was authorised to construct a line from to through Tetbury
Tetbury is a town and civil parish within the Cotswold district of Gloucestershire, England. It lies on the site of an ancient hill fort, on which an Anglo-Saxon monastery was founded, probably by Ine of Wessex, in 681. The population of the parish was 5,250 in the 2001 census.In the Middle Ages,...
Malmesbury is a market town and civil parish located in the southern Cotswolds in the county of Wiltshire, England. Historically Malmesbury was a centre for learning and home to Malmesbury Abbey...
and work started on 1 June 1865. Due to disagreements between the two major shareholders, the Midland Railway
The Midland Railway was a railway company in the United Kingdom from 1844 to 1922, when it became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway....
and the Great Western Railway
The Great Western Railway was a British railway company that linked London with the south-west and west of England and most of Wales. It was founded in 1833, received its enabling Act of Parliament in 1835 and ran its first trains in 1838...
, work was stalled, and in 1871 the company was wound up. The line was in abeyance until 1872 when a cut-down plan was authorised to build the line as it was eventually constructed from to , opening on 18 December 1877.
In 1933 the line was connected via a spur to on the Badminton line and the section to the south of it was closed. On 10 September 1951 the remaining line closed to passengers traffic, and goods 10 years later on 11 November 1962.