Ask a question about 'Maimón'
Start a new discussion about 'Maimón'
Answer questions from other users
is a small resort town
A town is a human settlement larger than a village but smaller than a city. The size a settlement must be in order to be called a "town" varies considerably in different parts of the world, so that, for example, many American "small towns" seem to British people to be no more than villages, while...
in the Puerto Plata province
The Dominican Republic is divided into thirty–one provincias , while the national capital, Santo Domingo, is contained within its own Distrito Nacional ....
of the Dominican Republic
The Dominican Republic is a nation on the island of La Hispaniola, part of the Greater Antilles archipelago in the Caribbean region. The western third of the island is occupied by the nation of Haiti, making Hispaniola one of two Caribbean islands that are shared by two countries...
, around 24 km west of San Felipe de Puerto Plata
San Felipe de Puerto Plata, often referred to as simply Puerto Plata, is the capital of the Dominican province Puerto Plata.The city is famous for resorts such as Playa Dorada and Costa Dorada, located east of San Felipe de Puerto Plata. There are a total of 100,000 hotel beds in the city.The only...
(Puerto Plata). Maimon is a "Natural Monument" in the Dominican Republic; these are areas protected by the Government due to having unique natural aspects or a significant cultural value including caves, areas with monuments or ruins of historical value.
It is home to a 3-hotel RIU
RIU Hotels & Resorts is a hotel chain founded by the Riu family as a small holiday firm in 1953 . The RIU Hotels & Resorts chain is still owned by the Riu family's third generation . RIU Hotels & Resorts offer all-inclusive board basis. RIU Hotels & Resorts has more than 100 hotels in 19 countries ...
complex, which opened in 1998; the hotel complex is in a separate zone to the town itself, which means the Maimón residents do not get many of the benefits the tourism income provides.
RIU hotels are a principal employer for this region, 75% are from Maimon and the other 25% are from other parts of the Maimon region. RIU hotels are committed to this area and they advertise jobs in newspapers in this area.