Ask a question about 'Lingnan University (Guangzhou)'
Start a new discussion about 'Lingnan University (Guangzhou)'
Answer questions from other users
'''Lingnan University''' ([[Chinese languages|Chinese]]: 嶺南大學) in [[Guangzhou|Canton]], [[Guangdong|Kwangtung Province]], [[China]] (now Guangzhou, Guangdong Province, [[People's Republic of China]]), was a [[private university|private]] [[university]] established by a group of [[United States|American]] missionaries in 1888. At its founding it was named '''Canton Christian College''' (格致書院).
It was incorporated into [[Sun Yat-sen University|Chung Shan University]] (now Sun Yat-sen University) in 1953. Members of the university fled to [[Hong Kong]] and founded the [[Lingnan University (Hong Kong)|Lingnan School]] in [[Wan Chai]] in 1967, which was relocated to [[Tuen Mun]] in the mid-1990s and renamed Lingnan University in 1999.
== History ==
[[File:Lingnan University's building.jpg|thumb|right|250px|An old building of Lingnan University, now located in Sun Yat-sen University]]
The university relocated several times during its existence. It moved to [[Macau]], then a Portuguese colony, in 1900 to escape the repressive measures implemented by the ruling [[Qing Dynasty|Ch'ing Dynasty]] of China. In 1903, the [[Chinese languages|Chinese]] name was changed to 嶺南學堂 in [[Macau]].
It moved back to Canton in 1904. In 1916, the Chinese name was changed again, to 嶺南大學, as the college expanded to become a university. In 1927, management of the university passed into Chinese hands, and the English name was changed to Lingnan University, the [[transliteration]] of the school's Chinese name. Dr. [[Chung Wing Kwong]] became the first Chinese [[Principal (university)|principal]] of the University. In 1930s, Lingnan became a globally recognised institution. A branch in Hainan with an emphasis on [[agriculture|agricultural studies]] was founded in 1933.
During the 1930s and 40s, the university was forced to move several times as Japanese armies advanced across China. In 1937, it relocated to [[Hong Kong]] as the Japanese occupied Canton, and in 1942, to [[Shaoguan|Kukong]] (now Shaoguan) in northern [[Guangdong|Kwangtung Province]], as the Japanese occupied Hong Kong. After World War II, the university was finally able to return to Canton.
In 1953, Lingnan University was incorporated into [[Sun Yat-sen University|Chung Shan University]] (now Sun Yat-sen University). Members of the university who fled from communist rule to [[Hong Kong]] founded the [[Lingnan College]] in [[Hong Kong]] to continue the spirit of the university in 1967. The college became [[Lingnan University (Hong Kong)|Lingnan University]] in 1999.
* [[Wing-tsit Chan]], eminent Chinese philosopher and academic
* [[Wong Shik Ling]], a [[linguistics|linguist]] in [[Cantonese language]]
* [http://www.lingnan.net/english/ Sun Yat-sen University Lingnan (University) College]
* [http://www.lingnanfoundation.org/ Lingnan Foundation]
* [http://research.yale.edu/divdl/ydl_china_webapp_images/LN515731.jpg Plan of Honglok campus in 1918]
* [http://divdl.library.yale.edu/ydlchina/default.aspx Historic Lingnan University images from China Christian colleges and Universities Image Database]
* [http://www.library.ln.edu.hk/exhibition/linghis/ Historic Lingnan University images from library of Lingnan University (Hong Kong)]