Koç Holding A.Ş.
is the top industrial conglomeratein Turkey
Turkey , known officially as the Republic of Turkey , is a Eurasian country located in Western Asia and in East Thrace in Southeastern Europe...
. The Koç family
The Koç family is a Turkish dynasty of business people founded by Vehbi Koç, one of the wealthiest self-made people in Turkey. His grandsons, the third generation of the Koç family, today run Turkey’s largest and prestigious group of companies....
, one of Turkey's wealthiest families, controls the company with its headquarter in Nakkaştepe, Istanbul
Istanbul , historically known as Byzantium and Constantinople , is the largest city of Turkey. Istanbul metropolitan province had 13.26 million people living in it as of December, 2010, which is 18% of Turkey's population and the 3rd largest metropolitan area in Europe after London and...
. Vehbi Koç
Vehbi Koç , born in Çoraklı, Ankara, Ottoman Empire, was a Turkish entrepreneur and philanthropist. He founded the Koç Group, one of Turkey’s largest and most prestigious group of companies...
, who established his first firm in 1926, collected all of the companies bearing his name under the roof of Koç Holding on 20 November 1963 in order to centrally manage these companies and to provide optimum resource allocation.
Founded in 1926, Koç Holding has become one of the largest companies in Europe.
The shares of 16 Koç Group companies are traded on the Istanbul Stock Exchange
The Istanbul Stock Exchange is the only corporation in Turkey for securities exchange established to provide trading in equities, bonds and bills, revenue-sharing certificates, private sector bonds, foreign securities and real estate certificates as well as international securities. The ISE was...
; together, the groups comprise 113 companies, 90,000 employees, and 14,000 dealers, agencies, and after-sales services people. Koç Holding is the only Turkish company to be listed in Fortune Global 500 list. Fortune Global 500 ranked Koç Holding at 248 for the year 2011.
Koç Holding, previously located in Fındıklı
Fındıklı is a town and district of Rize Province on the Black Sea coast of Turkey, east of the city of Rize.-Etymology:The town was formerly known as Vitze which means twig or branch in the Laz language and was renamed Fındıklı after the hazelnuts that were grown here, .-Geography:Like most Black...
, Istanbul, moved to its new headquarters on 12 September 1988 and continues its activities at its present location in Nakkaştepe on the Anatolia
Anatolia is a geographic and historical term denoting the westernmost protrusion of Asia, comprising the majority of the Republic of Turkey...
n part of Istanbul.
Vehbi Koç, a firm believer in the corporate spirit, handed his position as chairman of the board over to his son Rahmi M. Koç
Rahmi Mustafa Koç is a Turkish businessmanBorn in Ankara as the only son of one of Turkey's wealthiest man Vehbi Koç, he attended high school at Robert College in Istanbul after his primary education in Ankara. Rahmi Koç then studied at the Johns Hopkins University in the U.S. and received his B.A...
in 1984. Rahmi Koç retired on 4 April 2003 and handed his position over to his eldest son Mustafa V. Koç.
Rahmi Koç is still honorary chairman and a member of the board of directors. Currently, Koç Holding’s CEO is Osman Turgay Durak.
The main competitor of Koç Holding is Sabancı Holding
Hacı Ömer Sabancı Holding A.Ş., abbreviated as Sabancı Holding, is the largest industrial and financial conglomerate in Turkey by profit. The holding is owned at about 75% by the Sabancı family, one of Turkey's wealthiest. 3% is owned by the Sabancı University and the Sabancı Foundation. The...
. Koç Holding is Turkey's first largest group of companies.
Fields of activities
- Automotive: Passenger cars, commercial vehicles, farm tractors and equipments, components
- Durable Goods: refrigerator, washing machines, tumble dryers, dishwashers, ovens and cookers, televisions, air conditioners, PCs, small household appliances including vacuum cleaners, furnitures
- Food: Pasta, fresh and processed meats, dairy products, tomato paste, ketchup and preserved foods, livestock farm, vegetable seeds, supermarket and shopping mall chain, Do-It-Yourself hypermarkets, real estate development and management,
- Financial: Banking, brokerage, asset management, factoring, leasing, insurance, consumer finance,
- Energy: Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) distribution, LPG storage,Petroleum storage,distribution,refining, pressure reducing and heating equipment, electricity production, industrial and special gases distribution, coal, iron ore, copper and zinc mining,
- Tourism. Marina operation, accommodation, food and beverage, patisserie products, travel agency, duty free operations, car rental,
- Construction: Shipbuilding, insulation materials, radiators, water heaters, contracting,
- International trade: International trade activities, distribution, representations, logistics, trade finance,
- Information technologies: Systems integration, services, consultancy and outsourcing, managed network services, ISP and VISP services, hosting, application services provider infrastructure services, B2B and B2C platforms, training and e-learning, cable TV operator, venture capital projects.
- Defence : İronclad, Coast Guard Search & Rescue vessel.
The Koç School (elementary and high school) and The Koç University
Koç University is a private, non-profit institution, founded in 1993 and located in Istanbul, Turkey. One of the top universities in Turkey, it is supported by the financial resources of the Vehbi Koç Foundation, set up by Vehbi Koç, a leading Turkish businessman, “to serve humanity by increasing...
was established by Vehbi Koç Foundation.
The Koç Community, which will celebrate its 85th year this year, made a powerful start to
the year. The consolidated sales revenue of Koç Holding, reached 53,812 million TL and the
group raised its net profit to 1,734 million TL. With a combined investment of 1,881 million
TL, 5,000 additional jobs were provided, the number of employees reaching 73,000.