is a small, largely residential suburb of Dublin
and lies on the Northside
The Northside is the area in County Dublin, Ireland bounded to the south by the River Liffey to the east by Dublin Bay, to the north and west by the boundaries of County Dublin.- Introduction :...
of the city.
Location and access
Killester is located between Clontarf
Clontarf is a coastal suburb on the northside of Dublin, in Ireland. It is most famous for giving the name to the Battle of Clontarf in 1014, in which Brian Boru, High King of Ireland, defeated the Vikings of Dublin and their allies, the Irish of Leinster. This battle, which extended to districts...
Donnycarney or Donnycarny is a Northside suburb in the city of Dublin, Ireland. It is bordered by Beaumont, Artane, Killester and Marino, and lies in the postal districts of Dublin 9 and 5....
Raheny is a northern suburb of Dublin, the capital city of Ireland. It is an old area, centred around an old village, and is referenced back to 570 AD but after years of light settlement, with a main village and a coastal hamlet, grew rapidly in the 20th century, and is now a mid-density...
Artane, sometimes spelled Artaine , historically Tartaine is a Northside suburb of Dublin, Ireland. Neighbouring districts include Coolock, Beaumont, Killester, Raheny and Clontarf; to the south is a small locality, Harmonstown, straddling the Raheny-Artane border.-History:Artaine, now usually...
, and it falls within the postal districts of Dublin 3 or 5. St. Anne's Park lies just beyond Killester on the Raheny / Clontarf side. The area lies either side of the Howth Road, parts reaching as far as the Malahide Road, and is also served by Collins Avenue (East).
It has a rail station on the DART
The Dublin Area Rapid Transit is part of the suburban railway network in Ireland, running mainly along the coastline of Dublin Bay on the Trans-Dublin route, from Greystones in County Wicklow, through Dublin to Howth and Malahide in County Dublin.Trains are powered via a 1500V DC overhead catenary...
line (also on the Dublin-Belfast line but with no stopping of inter-city trains), and Dublin Bus
Dublin Bus is a public transport operator in Ireland. It operates an extensive bus network of 172 radial, cross-city and peripheral routes and 18 night routes in the city of Dublin and the Greater Dublin Area. The company, established in 1987, is a subsidiary of Córas Iompair Éireann which is...
routes 28, 29A, 31, 32A/B and 42A from the city centre go through the area. The original Killester railway station
Killester railway station serves the suburb of Killester, as well as parts of Artane, in Dublin.The original station opened on 1 October 1845 but closed after two years, re-opening on a new site about further north in 1923.-External links:* *...
opened on 1 October 1845 but closed after two years, re-opening on a new site about 200 m (656 ft) further north in 1923.
Killester lies within the Clontarf electoral district.
History and religion
Killester has been noted in city and church documents going back many centuries, with variant spellings such as "Quillesra" (St. Laurence O'Toole) and "Kylestre", and was the site of both an early church and a later convent or monastery. The name probably means "Church of (St.) Esra". The ruins of a religious building still exist, and nearby there is a modern convent, with an attached school. The manor of Killester was granted in the twelfth century to one Adrian le Brun. In the fifteenth century it was owned by the White family to whom it passed by inheritance to the St Lawrence family , Barons and later Earls of Howth. In the seventeenth century it belonged to the Cootes, a branch of the Earls of Mountrath.
Today there is a Roman Catholic Parish of Killester. The current Roman Catholic church, on the Howth Road, opposite St. Brigid's National School began construction in 1924, and was consecrated in 1926. For many years, it was Parish Church for the combined parish of Killester and Raheny. It was lengthened in 1952, and a new Resource Centre was built alongside in the 2000s. Notably, the church holds a relic of St. Brigid, Ireland's secondary Patron Saint; the fragment of her skull was brought from Portugal in 1928. Alongside the church is a parish resource centre, opened in autumn 2004, with multiple rooms and a coffee shop overlooking the church's peace garden.
The old Parish of Killester in the Church of Ireland
The Church of Ireland is an autonomous province of the Anglican Communion. The church operates in all parts of Ireland and is the second largest religious body on the island after the Roman Catholic Church...
(Parish of St. Brigid) was merged with Clontarf Parish in 1686 (church located on nearby Seafield Road), and the combined entity still serves the Anglican communities of both areas. A new parish centre was built beside the parish church in the 2000s, to serve the needs of parishioners and, as capacity allows, the wider community of all faiths.
Killester has a shopping plaza with a range of shops and a pub, and is the site of a third-level institution, Killester College of Further Education, formerly St. Peter's College.