Ask a question about 'Kho Kho'
Start a new discussion about 'Kho Kho'
Answer questions from other users
is an India
India , officially the Republic of India , is a country in South Asia. It is the seventh-largest country by geographical area, the second-most populous country with over 1.2 billion people, and the most populous democracy in the world...
n and Pakistan
Pakistan , officially the Islamic Republic of Pakistan is a sovereign state in South Asia. It has a coastline along the Arabian Sea and the Gulf of Oman in the south and is bordered by Afghanistan and Iran in the west, India in the east and China in the far northeast. In the north, Tajikistan...
i sport played by teams of twelve players who try to avoid being touched by members of the opposing team, only 9 players of the team enter the field. Kho Kho and Kabaddi
Kabaddi is a South Asian team sport...
, in spite of popular misconception, are not the same.
- In Kho-Kho, one team sits or kneels in the middle of the court, in a row, with adjacent members facing opposite directions.
- The chasers can only run in one direction and cannot cut across the sitters unlike the dodgers who can run randomly and in between the sitters.
- They have to run round the entire row to reach the other side.
- The other option is to pass the chasing job to another sitter whose back is facing the chaser as the chaser is running.
- In this option, the chaser touches the sitter he wants,usually nearest to the target and shouts "kho" to signify the change of guard.
- The objective is to tag all the opponents in the shortest time possible.
- The team that takes the shortest time to tag all the opponents in the field, wins.
Kho kho playground is rectangular. It is 29 meters in length and 16 meters in width. There are two rectangles at the end. One side of the rectangle is 16 meter and the other side is 2.75 meters. In the middle of these two rectangles, there shall be two wooden poles. The central lane is 907.50 cm long and 30 cm X 30 cm on the lane. There are eight cross lanes which lie across the small squares and each of it is 500 cm in length and 70 cm in breadth, at right angles to the central lane and divided equally into two parts of 7.30 cm each by central lane. At the end of central lane, two posts shall be fixed. They shall be 120 cm above the ground and their circumference shall be not less than 30 cm and not more than 40 cm. The post shall be made of wooden poles which are smooth all over. The posts shall be fixed firmly in the free zone tangent to the post-line at a height between 120 to 125 cm. It is very difficult game the player is dengerious
The equipment used in Kho Kho are posts, strings, metallic measuring tape, lime powder, wire nails, two watches, two types of rings having inner circumference of 30 cm and 40 cm, score shots (like a whistle, for instance), and some stationery to write results, etc.
Strategies, preparation, terminology
Kho-kho is an extremely complicated and tactical sport. The matters of terminology, how to craft strategies and prepare players are detailed in the official Kho Kho website.